Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Took the exam last Sunday at FDR high school..Fairly easy exam but alittle tedious...Question for current conductors..Do shifts begin at a train yard? for example if I was working the 7 train, would I begin work at Main Street station or would I report to work at the train yard in flushing meadows park..I am curious because if I. Working the 4am shift, I want to be able to drive to the yard, park my car and begin work..I hope I wouldn't be taking a train at 3am to work if I have to report at Main Street since I wouldn't be able to park anywhere on Main Street..How does it work? Sorry if I sound misinformed because I have no clue..I'm a former airline pilot trying to become an MTA conductor..Thanks

It varries by each specific job. It depends on what the schedule has you doing. If an interval starts midway i.e. out of 111th Street going to 34th St, then you most likely start out of tne yard. Some jobs don't have put-in's don't need conductors since the train comes straight into the terminal, so you would report to the terminal.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Julio. so basically the job can begin at the yard or at a station..My only concern is that if we drive to work, where would we park? Assuming I'm working the 7 line..if I have to start my shift at 4am, for safety reasons I would want to drive to work and not walk through my neighborhood at 3am to take the subway to work..The subway is not the issue its the walk there that concerns me at odd hours when only drunks are outside..please clarify and thanks again for your response..

Thanks Julio. so basically the job can begin at the yard or at a station..My only concern is that if we drive to work, where would we park? Assuming I'm working the 7 line..if I have to start my shift at 4am, for safety reasons I would want to drive to work and not walk through my neighborhood at 3am to take the subway to work..The subway is not the issue its the walk there that concerns me at odd hours when only drunks are outside..please clarify and thanks again for your response..

you can always just drive to the yard, walk to the nearest station and take the train to the terminal. Just remember to apply for the MTA parking permit so you don't have any issues parking in the yard.

Hello, everyone, i am taking a test in may 21 in the morning in ps 248. I hope you guys get elected, it alright for bad grade, mta have more oppourtunities than one.

Good luck to others, too

I hope the test is easy.

For veteran memeber, i go to school, if j get in as condutor, is there part time jobs for some train lines?

Took the test on Sunday at Midwood. Much like everyone has said, its mostly reading comprehension and fact checking. I would say, if you finished the test at a reasonable time, take the extra time to review your answers.

Good luck to all the forum members that are taking the test.

Thanks

Hello, everyone, i am taking a test in may 21 in the morning in ps 248. I hope you guys get elected, it alright for bad grade, mta have more oppourtunities than one.

Good luck to others, too

I hope the test is easy.

For veteran memeber, i go to school, if j get in as condutor, is there part time jobs for some train lines?

Thanks

Transit is a full time job. There are no part-time conductors.

I took the test on April 9 th and I felt like they made it way too easy for the amount of people that's taking the exam. I've seen 4 different schools so far of test locations. I hope that the exam is not being given on all dates both morning and evening for each test date at each location. The test consisted of mostly comprehension and a few scenarios/ common sense questions. NO math, NO landmark location questions. I know I did well, but this is one test that I will not get my hopes up for because for how easy the test was compare to the amount of people that took it, I'm positive that a lot of people is going to do well. It's going to be like the sanitation test, where getting 100 is not going to be good enough.I hope I'm wrong, but I have a strong feeling I'm not.

@Loveablepj, thanks for the insight.

I'm taking the exam on April 23rd. 

I'm thinking maybe this is why they reserved the right to test oral proficiency (I forgot the exact language, I don't have the NOE handy).

Perhaps they decided that math skills aren't useful or necessary on the job, but reading comprehension and common sense is what's really needed and can be easily tested on a written exam.  However, conductors also need to speak clearly, and that has to be tested one on one.

If they made the test too hard then too many people would fail, and they'd need to adjust the scoring anyway for test questions deemed too difficult or irrelevant in the post-exam appeal sessions.  Remember all the controversy and legal challenges the FDNY faced when they created a fireman's exam that was far more difficult than the intellectual challenges firemen face on the job?

If I remember correctly from the verbal proficiency verbiage on the NOE that testing could function like a personal interview - so they would bring people in who scored well on the written exam, in the traditional order starting at 105 or so (perfect test score plus veterans' credit),test their verbal proficiency, then start processing those people who cleared the verbal proficiency test. I suppose they could ask a few typical interview questions when they have you for the verbal proficiency test, and they could certainly eliminate people they don't think would be a good fit at that stage.

I don't think it will be as bad as the Sanitation test, but I think hiring off the upcoming list might stop where people score in the high 90s based on all the people taking the exam.

I know I'm forgetting some things, please correct me, but let me know if this line of thinking seems reasonable.

Not to be a destroyer of hopes but if I recall correctly. Few months ago the test was given to those who are already employed by the MTA. They will be placed above the rest of us on the final eligible list. Furthermore we all paid around $60 each to take the test and the way I see it 70.000 people if not more are taking this test. So you guys can withdraw your own conclusions as to how they will pay the salary for those who will be hired. Additionally few years ago they were planning on eliminating the conductor's job by buying more modern and technological trains.

Myself like some of you guys have already taken the test and I do agree with all of you that it was way to easy in order to separate the men from the boys. I won't be counting on this test to get a career with the MTA, and shame on those in the MTA who are prey on those of us who are already on difficult paths in order to live, and need every penny to survive.

How do you all go to the bathroom if you are working? Are there restrooms at every station? Have to ask because I have to go every 2 hours because I drink lots of water..Even if I don't drink lots of water, I still have the urge to go every couple hours..Serious question...

How do you all go to the bathroom if you are working? Are there restrooms at every station? Have to ask because I have to go every 2 hours because I drink lots of water..Even if I don't drink lots of water, I still have the urge to go every couple hours..Serious question...

Pee in a bottle in between stops ... haha jk im curious to know also

Go at the terminal each time before you make a trip.

How many test dates are there ? Trying to determine if they split the test dates randomly or if they go by who ever signed up first they will take the exam first and so on

There are 8 test dates. I did my application on the very last day and my test was on April 9th which was the first testing date. It's either random or the opposite, where the people that signed up last gets to take the test first having no feedback of what the test is like. Punishment for waiting so late to sign up, lol jk

@Loveablepj, thanks for the insight.

I'm taking the exam on April 23rd. 

I'm thinking maybe this is why they reserved the right to test oral proficiency (I forgot the exact language, I don't have the NOE handy).

Perhaps they decided that math skills aren't useful or necessary on the job, but reading comprehension and common sense is what's really needed and can be easily tested on a written exam.  However, conductors also need to speak clearly, and that has to be tested one on one.

If they made the test too hard then too many people would fail, and they'd need to adjust the scoring anyway for test questions deemed too difficult or irrelevant in the post-exam appeal sessions.  Remember all the controversy and legal challenges the FDNY faced when they created a fireman's exam that was far more difficult than the intellectual challenges firemen face on the job?

If I remember correctly from the verbal proficiency verbiage on the NOE that testing could function like a personal interview - so they would bring people in who scored well on the written exam, in the traditional order starting at 105 or so (perfect test score plus veterans' credit),test their verbal proficiency, then start processing those people who cleared the verbal proficiency test. I suppose they could ask a few typical interview questions when they have you for the verbal proficiency test, and they could certainly eliminate people they don't think would be a good fit at that stage.

I don't think it will be as bad as the Sanitation test, but I think hiring off the upcoming list mig

ht stop where people score in the high 90s based on all the people taking the exam.

I know I'm forgetting some things, please correct me, but let me know if this line of thinking seems reasonable.

I had no idea that there would be an oral exam as well. I didn't see anything like that in the exam notification. I'm not sure if that would be much help in the elimination process, maybe a little but not enough to make a difference. Maybe i have too much faith in people's abilities but I assume that most people would be able to speak clearly. If so many people weren't taking the exam I'd be a lot more optimistic. I wonder if there's going to be any interview questions. A bus driver told me that when he got hired there was no interview, once u got called and passed screening( medical, drug test), you pretty much got the job. Maybe it would be different with conductors though( different unions). All we could do at this point is hope for the best. Good Luck!

This exam is looking like the sanitation exam. If you don't get at least a 97 and above you won't be getting called imo within the span of the established list is open, which is ridiculous. I scored a 102.xx on the sanitation and my list number was 52xx. These city exams are really getting ridiculous. The city is pretty much just robbing us since they allow as many people as they want to apply for the job when it is open.

This exam is looking like the sanitation exam. If you don't get at least a 97 and above you won't be getting called imo within the span of the established list is open, which is ridiculous. I scored a 102.xx on the sanitation and my list number was 52xx. These city exams are really getting ridiculous. The city is pretty much just robbing us since they allow as many people as they want to apply for the job when it is open.

Not only the sanitation exam, but the Track Worker exam as well, in which I scored a 95%, and my list # is in the 2800's. As far as sanitation, my list # is in the 17,000's somewhere...

There are 8 test dates. I did my application on the very last day and my test was on April 9th which was the first testing date. It's either random or the opposite, where the people that signed up last gets to take the test first having no feedback of what the test is like. Punishment for waiting so late to sign up, lol jk

i signed up the very first day and i am taking it on the 23rd so im guessing its random lol

I signed up toward the end and my test day was April 10th, so yes, I believe it is random.

Just wondering, if the proposed key answers is going to be available in July, how long from that date would the list be established? 

I signed up toward the end and my test day was April 10th, so yes, I believe it is random.

Just wondering, if the proposed key answers is going to be available in July, how long from that date would the list be established? 

It would depend on the hiring needs