Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

19 minutes ago, Bmpo7 said:

Anybody know where they up to in the preemployment? I read somewhere here 1,1xx but not sure how that person actually got a preemployment without the OPA. Who is the highest person so far (that we know) that received passing OPA results and preemployment?

That person probably meant opa. I called and according to the employment center they are up to number 659 for the pre employment letter

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@playtoannoy

I respect your reasons for wanting to switch to Transit.

For me it's a combination of the pay, benefits, job security and pension.  I'd get an immediate pay bump from $16 per hour, and my current employer, a retail chain, tries to avoid scheduling people for OT whenever possible.

I do wonder what's realistic/average comp for conductors.  A lot must depend on how much OT is available and how consistent it is.

I do understand that base pay starts at roughly $22 per hour and goes up after five full years to roughly $32 per hour, and those base pay rates don't include night/weekend differentials.

22 minutes ago, Rahmel said:

That person probably meant opa. I called and according to the employment center they are up to number 659 for the pre employment letter

Spoke to someone at mta today and they said that pre employment letters went out to the first 1000 on the list

1 hour ago, playtoannoy said:

I'm hoping there's not only full time, but overtime available ASAP.

I'm leaving a job that pays around 6 figures for this.  I'm hoping after a few years of raises and some overtime, I can come close to that again.

You better not

23 minutes ago, Kingsbridge Bus said:

They will give you instructions on how to fill it out during the OPA.

When you hand in the money order, they'll tell you to make it out to NYC DCAS. You'll also put your address, sign and put the last 4 of your social. Make sure they take your picture once they get your fingerprints. I had to return to take the picture

1 hour ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

@playtoannoy

I respect your reasons for wanting to switch to Transit.

For me it's a combination of the pay, benefits, job security and pension.  I'd get an immediate pay bump from $16 per hour, and my current employer, a retail chain, tries to avoid scheduling people for OT whenever possible.

I do wonder what's realistic/average comp for conductors.  A lot must depend on how much OT is available and how consistent it is.

I do understand that base pay starts at roughly $22 per hour and goes up after five full years to roughly $32 per hour, and those base pay rates don't include night/weekend differentials.

Top pay as of February 16, 2018 is $31.635

The pay scale is illustrated as:

Induction year 70% = $22.1445. Annual compensation ~ $46,060.56

2nd year 75% = $23.72625.         Annual compensation ~ $49350.60

3rd year 80% = $25.308.              Annual compensation ~ $52,640.64

4th year 85% = $26.88975.         Annual compensation ~ $55930.68

5th year 90% = $28.4715.           Annual compensation ~ $59220.72

6th year 100% = $31.635.           Annual compensation = $65,800.80

These rates are valid until May 16, 2019 when the current contract expires and raises will be renegotiated.

1 hour ago, Bmpo7 said:

Anybody know where they up to in the preemployment? I read somewhere here 1,1xx but not sure how that person actually got a preemployment without the OPA. Who is the highest person so far (that we know) that received passing OPA results and preemployment?

To my knowledge while reading this forum someone said they were #1,030 and received pre employment to come in for Friday the 13th 

15 minutes ago, patientlywaiting said:

To my knowledge while reading this forum someone said they were #1,030 and received pre employment to come in for Friday the 13th 

So strange, I'm low 700's and haven't received it yet. Do they send them out in order or is is randomly? 

36 minutes ago, Bmpo7 said:

So strange, I'm low 700's and haven't received it yet. Do they send them out in order or is is randomly? 

Some people also felt they were skipped or they received their letter after the appointment date ... I’d say give them a call or walk in they might just give you the paper work right then and there like previous members from the forum  

9 hours ago, Rafael Azafrani said:

Are you able to defer your start date?  All I got left is the medical which is on Wednesday.  But i was not expecting the April 22nd start date. 

If you can defer, what's the process for it, and how long can you hold out till?

8 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

I'm curious to know aswell because i won't be able to start on the upcoming class in June. We may be able to because if I'm not mistaken the medicals are valid for 90 days so you could probably get into the next class but somone with a higher list # who takes your spot will have seniority over you. The best way to find out what probabky be just going in person or calling the pre employment center.

Also, if you don't mind me asking what is your list # range? I'm in the low 400's and did pre-employment last week and I'm waiting for the second email.

6 hours ago, kellgh said:

I was thinking the same thing, but then I can just use the PTO for my job as my 2 weeks, or attempt to go seasonal. 

That, or I'll just give it away :(

6 hours ago, Mtahopeful2018 said:

Same here, I won't be able to start anytime soon because of basic scheduling conflict with my wife, picking up my daughter from school,  and personal issues with mother taking her to appts, etc.

during the orientation/before drug test the lady stated our work schedules will be all over the place and I'm having trouble right now figuring out who's going to pick up daughter on a consistent basis in case I can't be there.

List number high 300's and i might to defer as well. 

Any info on deferring would be greatly appreciated 

5 hours ago, Lovablepj said:

I was wondering the same thing. I have a family vacation that i already paid for even before i got my list number. I didn’t expect everything to happen so fast. I hope i could start the june 3rd class instead, if not i guess i’ll just have to lose my money. We shall see tomorrow when i go for medical.

You can defer if you cannot make your start date. Just tell them when you go down for pre-employment that you want to be sent into the next class and when the time nears, they will continue the hiring process to get you in the class you want. Just keep in mind that the next available class may or may NOT work with what you need and that the longer you push your start date back, the more seniority that you're giving up. My cousin had a lower list number than me on another exam and she has less seniority than me because she deferred by 2 months.

4 hours ago, playtoannoy said:

Does anyone know if you start with full time?  Is the training paid?  

I'm a bit nervous transitioning jobs.  I know I'll probably end up taking a pay cut, but hope it's not too much of a difference from my current job.

Full time, 80+ hour checks. Training is paid from day one. Overtime is considered as any unscheduled work that you do. During your first year of probation, everyone will advise against working any voluntary extra work. If something happens and you go down for it, they will extend your probation and throw it back in your face that you should had stayed home/declined the extra work. I'm not trying to scare you but it's the reality of the job. Stay under the radar for the first year and then you can work as much OT as you're legally allowed to work. You will definitely pick up extra hours from just being late, missing your lunch, etc.

Just now, SevenEleven said:

You can defer if you cannot make your start date. Just tell them when you go down for pre-employment that you want to be sent into the next class and when the time nears, they will continue the hiring process to get you in the class you want. Just keep in mind that the next available class may or may NOT work with what you need and that the longer you push your start date back, the more seniority that you're giving up. My cousin had a lower list number than me on another exam and she has less seniority than me because she deferred by 2 months.

BRO. 

Thank you so much -- I need to tell me cousin. He last month of college is this month, so she wants to defer for the next class which is June when she has graduated. 

I'll let her know b/c her medical is Thursday. :<

4 minutes ago, kellgh said:

BRO. 

Thank you so much -- I need to tell me cousin. He last month of college is this month, so she wants to defer for the next class which is June when she has graduated. 

I'll let her know b/c her medical is Thursday. :<

Tell her to let them know first thing because if she is cleared, they will set her up for the next class.

Just now, SevenEleven said:

Tell her to let them know first thing because if she is cleared, they will set her up for the next class.

So she should contact them ASAP via e-mail instead as opposed to go to the medical? 

Or she should go and let them know she is deferring for the next class instead? 

2 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

Top pay as of February 16, 2018 is $31.635

The pay scale is illustrated as:

Induction year 70% = $22.1445. Annual compensation ~ $46,060.56

2nd year 75% = $23.72625.         Annual compensation ~ $49350.60

3rd year 80% = $25.308.              Annual compensation ~ $52,640.64

4th year 85% = $26.88975.         Annual compensation ~ $55930.68

5th year 90% = $28.4715.           Annual compensation ~ $59220.72

6th year 100% = $31.635.           Annual compensation = $65,800.80

These rates are valid until May 16, 2019 when the current contract expires and raises will be renegotiated.

To add onto this:

While you're in schoolcar, you will be getting 8 hours a day, 40 a week, 80 a pay period. You will be taken out during the PM and hawk (overnight) tours, so you will be getting your night diff as well. I believe once you start road posting, you will get the hours of whoever you're posting with. So you get paired with someone with a 10 hour job, you'll get 10 hours. It will add up and you will make more than the minimums. When I started as a bus op, I was making at the time $22.70/hr. I worked the extra list (PMs) after line training. Out of 9 paychecks, only 3 of them were sub $1200. The rest were greater than that. 2017 was my first full year on the job and I grossed $55,000. (@ $22.70 for 9 months, $24.32 for the last 3 months) You will definitely make more than base.

11 minutes ago, kellgh said:

So she should contact them ASAP via e-mail instead as opposed to go to the medical? 

Or she should go and let them know she is deferring for the next class instead? 

I would go down to medical and be instructed from there. They can directly give her a new date and if they let her do the medical and she isn't cleared, she can get cleared before she returns for the rest of processing.

52 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Thanks for all the info.  One more question, I'm at the medical part of the process and they are asking to bring in the money order.  If I bring it now, will I lose out on that, or it doesn't matter?

Full time, 80+ hour checks. Training is paid from day one. Overtime is considered as any unscheduled work that you do. During your first year of probation, everyone will advise against working any voluntary extra work. If something happens and you go down for it, they will extend your probation and throw it back in your face that you should had stayed home/declined the extra work. I'm not trying to scare you but it's the reality of the job. Stay under the radar for the first year and then you can work as much OT as you're legally allowed to work. You will definitely pick up extra hours from just being late, missing your lunch, etc.

2 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Would diabetes = no job

Diabetes = delay in start date

They will send you to your PCP to get the necessary meds/treatment to get it under control and then get a note stating such. Also, you don't want to be in the MAC twice for pre-employment. It's not as bearable when you're not getting paid for it.