Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

1 minute ago, Rafael Azafrani said:

Thanks for all the info.  One more question, I'm at the medical part of the process and they are asking to bring in the money order.  If I bring it now, will I lose out on that, or it doesn't matter?

I didn't have to bring a money order for the fingerprints when I started (They just got me on my paycheck). I would bring it and if they take it, you're good. If not, just hold on to it. They're asking for it for medical because if you are cleared, they will do final processing the same day.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Schecter said:

So I have the OPA tomrrow guys I'm extremely nervous and dont know what to expect. I was also wondering what type of attire should I wear to the OPA tomorrow.

Just like everyone else been saying, just listen attentively and follow all their directions, you will do fine. I took mine last year October and passed. I was nervous too but once you are there and actually take it, you will be more at ease. My list # is 16xx by the way. 

2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

To add onto this:

While you're in schoolcar, you will be getting 8 hours a day, 40 a week, 80 a pay period. You will be taken out during the PM and hawk (overnight) tours, so you will be getting your night diff as well. I believe once you start road posting, you will get the hours of whoever you're posting with. So you get paired with someone with a 10 hour job, you'll get 10 hours. It will add up and you will make more than the minimums. When I started as a bus op, I was making at the time $22.70/hr. I worked the extra list (PMs) after line training. Out of 9 paychecks, only 3 of them were sub $1200. The rest were greater than that. 2017 was my first full year on the job and I grossed $55,000. (@ $22.70 for 9 months, $24.32 for the last 3 months) You will definitely make more than base.

I would go down to medical and be instructed from there. They can directly give her a new date and if they let her do the medical and she isn't cleared, she can get cleared before she returns for the rest of processing.

Thanks for this^ my first full year at my job 2017 i grossed $74k. And u get paid more than conductors slightly i think. This yr im headed towards $93k with a 10% bump in July putting me at $30 per hr and we fighting for more. I support all unions btw lol. Max pay this yr i would surpass $115k easily. 

If i get the pre employment letter. I will speak at length with the person. My Cousin or Uncle makes over $130k at the Mta but hes an Electrician Supervisor. 

6 hours ago, playtoannoy said:

Mostly because I'm burnt out on my current job.  It's not a good "career".  It's more of a fast, high pressure hustle, fly by night type of job.  I want to move into something with benefits and a pension.

If you're wondering what it is, I'm a car salesman.  I'm so over it.  I started really young, and have been at it for over 15 years.  I want a change, something with stability, and no sales goals involved.

Speaking of which im going to buy a car tomorrow a 2015 q50 28k miles $18k. Good deal?? 

I can relate. Mta has good benefits. Better pension than most places. Ot seems pretty good and good benefits. I would be leaving a good job and an over $100k job come 2019. A close to $100k job this yr. 

Good luck in whatever u decide.

6 hours ago, playtoannoy said:

Mostly because I'm burnt out on my current job.  It's not a good "career".  It's more of a fast, high pressure hustle, fly by night type of job.  I want to move into something with benefits and a pension.

If you're wondering what it is, I'm a car salesman.  I'm so over it.  I started really young, and have been at it for over 15 years.  I want a change, something with stability, and no sales goals involved.

Speaking of which im going to buy a car tomorrow a 2015 q50 28k miles $18k. Good deal?? 

I can relate. Mta has good benefits. Better pension than most places. Ot seems pretty good and good benefits. I would be leaving a good job and an over $100k job come 2019. A close to $100k job this yr. 

This is a nice informative forum. Lotta helpful people on here. Much success to all of you. 🤞👍👍💰💰

39 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

This is a nice informative forum. Lotta helpful people on here. Much success to all of you. 🤞👍👍💰💰

Unsure anyone would know the answer but, who has the better pension?

Sanitation or conductor/MTA? Or the same?

7 minutes ago, Mtahopeful2018 said:

Fairly certain they're the same pension. I currently work for the city and my stuff is gonna transfer over. Different departments within the MTA have different pensions though. But for the conductor title, it's the same pension as other city jobs. 

@Nyctransitorhotels, if you can afford the car and you'll enjoy the vehicle, more power to you.

I just paid off an expensive used car and my learning experience from that was either to buy a good basic new car with low cost financing or a dirt cheap used car for cash.

I'd probably aim to negotiate for a brand new Chevy Malibu or something similar if I were going to spend roughly $18k - they're not as nice inside as an Infiniti though.

1 hour ago, Mtahopeful2018 said:

Can't outline the differences but here are the brochure sheets off NYCERS:

https://www.nycers.org/sites/main/files/file-attachments/986.pdf (TA)

https://www.nycers.org/sites/main/files/file-attachments/995.pdf (Sanitation)

My main reason for wanting to defer the time is because I'm waiting for the results from the FDNY exam to come out.  Don't want to leave my current job to then start over from the bottom at the MTA and then have to start over again at the bottom from the FDNY.  And I don't feel like the MTA would play so nice with giving out days off to new guys.

9 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Wow you have $18k saved up? What’s your current income ?

I emailed exams and asked them if they knew when I would be scheduled to take the OPA and they said I should be scheduled within the next few months, my list # is 33xx. They also mentioned in the email that the employment center has called up to list # 600. I hope this info is helpful. Thanks again @Schecterfor the advice 👍

7 hours ago, Rafael Azafrani said:

My main reason for wanting to defer the time is because I'm waiting for the results from the FDNY exam to come out.  Don't want to leave my current job to then start over from the bottom at the MTA and then have to start over again at the bottom from the FDNY.  And I don't feel like the MTA would play so nice with giving out days off to new guys.

Anything relating to civil service employment, you will be accommodated for. If accommodating you will interfere with your hours of service, they will force you off with pay. 

24 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Anything relating to civil service employment, you will be accommodated for. If accommodating you will interfere with your hours of service, they will force you off with pay. 

Woah, seriously!?  I didn't think they would be so accommodating, especially when trying to jump ship to another job.

2 minutes ago, Rafael Azafrani said:

Did you have to bring a money order in?

2 minutes ago, Rafael Azafrani said:

Did you have to bring a money order in?

I brought one in but they didn’t ask me for it,being that I deferred my time. But i did hear the lady at the desk ask someone if they have their money order. So I’m not sure if it’s a must. There is a post office up the block, so if you don’t have one and they require it, im sure they would allow you to go and get one. They allowed people to go when i went for my OPA.

38 minutes ago, Lovablepj said:

So i finished my medical, passed it but i deffered my time to the next available class. The class starts on April 23rd by the way, not the 22nd. The medical is good for 3 months 

Good for you! What did the medical consist of? You got there at 7? Tell me everything lol 

1 hour ago, Rafael Azafrani said:

Woah, seriously!?  I didn't think they would be so accommodating, especially when trying to jump ship to another job.

It's Civil Service Law. After you complete your first year and you are off probation, you can leave for any other civil service position and return within the year.

59 minutes ago, Gdsimmons646 said:

Good for you! What did the medical consist of? You got there at 7? Tell me everything lol 

Lmao, you go on the first line to get a ticket number then you go to the employment section on line three. They give you i believe 2 pages of paper , you sit down fill it out and wait for your number to be called. When your number is called, you hand in your paper work  and you get another small packet to fill out 🙄(includes emergency contact, w4, beneficiary etc) you are told to go sit down fill out the packet and wait for your name to be called. Once ur name is called you go to the back of the room to the medical section. Wait for ur number to be called again. Once ur name is called, you get directions to go to a computer to do two mini surveys( medical history yes or no questions) oh and more paper work. When ur finished you go back to the desk, they print out ur survey and you have to wait for the nurse to call ur name. Nurse call ur name, you do a hearing test( put on headphones listen for the sound and and click a button when u hear it). Eye exam, test for protein, blood and sugar in urine, and an ekg. They also weigh you and measure your height because if ur bmi is over a certain amount and ur neck size is over a certain about of inches, you have to go to ur doctor and do a sleep apnea test. You go back to the waiting area and wait for the doctor to call you, he goes over ur results, ask a few questions, nothing much and do muscle strength and balance test. Then he gave me a piece of paper to take back to line 3, they collect ur 21 page booklet and the other mini booklet. You wait for someone to call you, you go into a small office with them. I was told that i would be starting April 23rd and was asked if i was available. I said no, so that’s where it ended for me. I believe the next step would have been fingerprinting. Oh they asked for ur ids ( us passport, or birth certificate, along with social and state id). The end lol.