Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

I'm in the 50xx range.  I'm trying to get an estimate of when I might get called for OPA.  The Exams Unit did respond to my email in a timely manner, which was great, but they simply said they can't provide an estimate. They did say they try to give ten days notice of the OPA date when they do notify you.

At how fast a rate are they doing the OPA testing and processing?

Does it seem likely that I might be scheduled for the OPA this summer or fall? 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

I'm in the 50xx range.  I'm trying to get an estimate of when I might get called for OPA.  The Exams Unit did respond to my email in a timely manner, which was great, but they simply said they can't provide an estimate. They did say they try to give ten days notice of the OPA date when they do notify you.

Tbh there is no reason to schedule opa's for people 5,000 and up anytime soon. 

Someone posted they were hiring what about 300 or so conductors per year? A list that was established 10yrs ago would have to see up to where they got in three years. If i was to get hired in early 2020 at number 1900's that would be a nice pace. 

8 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Someone posted they were hiring what about 300 or so conductors per year? A list that was established 10yrs ago would have to see up to where they got in three years. If i was to get hired in early 2020 at number 1900's that would be a nice pace. 

Damn now I'm wondering how many years till they hit the 1400s

7 hours ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

I’m in the late 3000s and got a letter for OPA. Best of luck to all.

5 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

I would beg to differ because if you look on this website that was provided earlier on this post: https://data.cityofnewyork.us/widgets/pjqi-8psc

Just looking at their hiring frequency due to the vacancies they had to fill:

March 2017 = 400

May 2017 = 300

August = 1,000

October = 500

March 2018 = 200 (they started our list here)

all we can do is hope that it is somewhat the same pace for 2018 and we'll be called sooner than expected!

34 minutes ago, patientlywaiting said:

I would beg to differ because if you look on this website that was provided earlier on this post: https://data.cityofnewyork.us/widgets/pjqi-8psc

Just looking at their hiring frequency due to the vacancies they had to fill:

March 2017 = 400

May 2017 = 300

August = 1,000

October = 500

March 2018 = 200 (they started our list here)

all we can do is hope that it is somewhat the same pace for 2018 and we'll be called sooner than expected!

They also were going off a list that was 9 yrs old. 10 yrs for that list. They also hired a large amount of conductors past yr. 

Again i'm curious where they got up to on that 8094 list and how quickly they got to 2,000's and beyond. 

Myself it's looking like ima likely pass on the job. There will be others to also pass and or not pass medical. That will help speed things up. 

I'm just being realistic. 

Hello everyone 😊 so I been following this forum for a while, and I jus want to say thank you for all the helpful info. I took my OPA back in October. I passed both sections and my final score was 97.5 And my list # is in the 1400’s range. I’m excited n frustrated cuz the MTA is moving faster than I thought but they are still taking forever 😩 hopefully I’ll get a call for pre-employment soon. Good luck to everyone and hopefully some of us will work together soon 💯🚇🤗

I’m taking the Opa in 2 weeks and the letter states you can not bring a mobile phone to the test site. Can I bring a knapsack or put my phone in a bag while taking the exam ?do they search bags, or let you have a device with you as long as it’s off? How is this enforced? 

22 minutes ago, Ador said:

I’m taking the Opa in 2 weeks and the letter states you can not bring a mobile phone to the test site. Can I bring a knapsack or put my phone in a bag while taking the exam ?do they search bags, or let you have a device with you as long as it’s off? How is this enforced? 

I didnt bring a bag with me but you can definitely bring your phone with you, just make sure when you get inside the building not to use it at all. And when you're waiting for the 2nd part of the OPA they will ask you to leave your phone on desk if you go to the bathroom and then you can get it back when you're done. And also make sure you dont fill out any paper work that they give you until they tell you so, I went in the beginning of April and people were filling out paper work without the proctors telling them to. When they filled it out they took their papers and tore it up. So be very cautious and follow all directions.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:31 PM, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Still curious if anyone knows weekend differential? Is if the same as night time differential? What is the rate for night time differential and when does it begin? 

I believe someone answered the last question. However if so i forgot the amount. Any help is appreciated 💯

During the orientation with TWU, they'll hand out lots and lots of paperwork. One of them is the salary. It'll show how much you'll make plus what the night differential amount is. Note that night differential starts at 6:00 PM until 5:59 AM.

1 minute ago, AngelRC said:

During the orientation with TWU, they'll hand out lots and lots of paperwork. One of them is the salary. It'll show how much you'll make plus what the night differential amount is. Note that night differential starts at 6:00 PM until 5:59 AM.

What is the salary and what does night differential even mean?

6 minutes ago, Schecter said:

What is the salary and what does night differential even mean?

For night differential, here you go... Every employee is entitled to a Night Differential of Night shift pay of not less than 10% of his regular wage for each hour of work performed between 10pm and 6am. To determine the employee Night Differential pay: Ordinary Day Night Differential = (Hourly rate × 10% × 8 hours). For Conductor, it's between the hours of 1800 to 0559

21 minutes ago, AngelRC said:

Congrats on getting hired! Did y'all get to choose which division you wanted so far? Also do you know how many conductors were hired for your class?

35 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Congrats on getting hired! Did y'all get to choose which division you wanted so far? Also do you know how many conductors were hired for your class?

57 total for this class. On the second day, you'll go to the school house where you'll get more paperwork to do. They do give you a paper where it'll ask which division you wish to work. Now, for my class, 7 went to A division (IRT) and the rest went to B division (IND/BMT). They go by list number for seniority. The next class that goes in, most might go to A division.

50 minutes ago, AngelRC said:

For night differential, here you go... Every employee is entitled to a Night Differential of Night shift pay of not less than 10% of his regular wage for each hour of work performed between 10pm and 6am. To determine the employee Night Differential pay: Ordinary Day Night Differential = (Hourly rate × 10% × 8 hours). For Conductor, it's between the hours of 1800 to 0559

So minimum $2.22 . Starting at 6pm is 🔥 at max pay it's minimum $3.15 or so. 

Also weekends differential as i understand it starts at 6pm Friday til 6am Monday. That's wassup. Still curious if more or the same as night differential. 

At my job night differential starts at 8pm every night. I work weekends. No weekend differential. All these things add up and will determine what path i choose. Thanks for the info 🖒

Just now, Nyctransitorhotels said:

So minimum $2.22 . Starting at 6pm is 🔥 at max pay it's minimum $3.15 or so. 

Also weekends differential as i understand it starts at 6pm Friday til 6am Monday. That's wassup. Still curious if more or the same as night differential. 

At my job night differential starts at 8pm every night. I work weekends. No weekend differential. All these things add up and will determine what path i choose. Thanks for the info 🖒

If I remember correctly, for NYCT, they said that you get night differential 6pm Friday to 6am Monday

8 minutes ago, AngelRC said:

If I remember correctly, for NYCT, they said that you get night differential 6pm Friday to 6am Monday

I hope you're wrong and night differential is daily and weekend differential is on the weekend. 

I guess i will have to ask them. Or somebody starting class can ask them. I'm pretty sure Ot doesn't get compounded with night and or weekend differential i wish my job did so 💰

Just now, SevenEleven said:

What was said is correct. Night diff is paid 6pm till 559am, Monday to Friday and all day on Saturdays and Sundays. (So from Friday 6pm till Monday morning 559am is paid night diff)

Gotcha like i thought. So same amt then? Weekend differential and night differential is the same. 

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Gotcha like i thought. So same amt then? Weekend differential and night differential is the same. 

Thanks

Yup it is...and once you get the pieces of paper they give at the interview, order a backpack/duffle via Amazon. Kaka and Ibagbar are the names. TRUST ME, you'll need it.

13 hours ago, AngelRC said:

57 total for this class. On the second day, you'll go to the school house where you'll get more paperwork to do. They do give you a paper where it'll ask which division you wish to work. Now, for my class, 7 went to A division (IRT) and the rest went to B division (IND/BMT). They go by list number for seniority. The next class that goes in, most might go to A division.

Any idea the highest list number in your class? What does medical consist of and do you find out that very day your start date?

28 minutes ago, Gdsimmons646 said:

Any idea the highest list number in your class? What does medical consist of and do you find out that very day your start date?

If you were in the military, they'll give extra points. We have people who scored 102 on the exam so their list number is up there in the single digits. Also, some people could've been placed on medical hold.

For medical, they'll have you do a questionnaire. Then a hearing test, vision test, ekg, and ask about sleep apnea. If all goes well with medical, they'll have you wait in the area where you were in the morning for your interview. There you will find out if you made the class. Fingerprints and photo for your pass will be done that same day.