Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi - I signed up for the conductor exam 6601 last night...it showed my payment was pending and instructed me to sign on today to finish the payment...when I sign in on the site I get an error saying that my user name belongs to someone else...but its the one I used to register for the test?....it says an e-mail is being sent to me to reset my password...I only have one e-mail address I use...I never get it...I really do not want to miss out on this opportunity...anyone have any advise?

hi - I signed up for the conductor exam 6601 last night...it showed my payment was pending and instructed me to sign on today to finish the payment...when I sign in on the site I get an error saying that my user name belongs to someone else...but its the one I used to register for the test?....it says an e-mail is being sent to me to reset my password...I only have one e-mail address I use...I never get it...I really do not want to miss out on this opportunity...anyone have any advise?

Contact the MTA via e-mail, phone and/or in person using the information which can be found towards the bottom of this page. This page was posted on the second day of the application period, therefore you are not the only one with issues...

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

I have a question one of my friends is trying to apply for this exam, tried yesterday and applied, but could not pay. He even tried today and it won't let him pay? Does anyone know a phone number that he can call to resolve the issue or what to do?

Since the last day to file is tomorrow (September 22nd), this is directly from the MTA website (http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/6601.htm):

Thank you for applying for MTA NYC Transit Conductor, Exam No. 6601. Please take a moment and read the important information below.

APPLICATION ISSUES: (NEW)

We are aware of the issues that some customers are experiencing when applying for this exam online.

If you were unable to pay the exam fee after submitting your application, please wait until the next business day to log back in and then click on the exam title. You should see a message that recognizes you applied but did not make a payment. Then, click on the yellow ‘Pay Examination Fee’ button on the right hand side of the page to submit payment. You may attempt this every business day as long as the exam is open for filing.

Candidates who do not submit a payment online will be sent an email notification by October 14, 2015.

If you submitted multiple payments, we will identify you and issue you a refund within 2-3 weeks of the date you applied for the exam online.

SELECTION PROCESS: (NEW)

You will be given a multiple-choice test schedule to begin on April 9, 2016. Your score on this test will be used to determine your place on an eligible list. You must achieve a score of at least 70 to pass this test. You should receive an admission letter approximately ten days before the date of the multiple-choice test.

PLEASE NOTE(NEW) 

You are responsible for keeping your address up to date. Only the address on our file will be used to mail correspondence.

To update your address, you may do one of the following:

1. Visit us at the MTA Exam Information Center located in the lobby of 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201, Mondays through Fridays, between 9 AM – 3 PM
  2. Email us at examsunit@nyct.com
  3. Fax us at (347) 643-8110

Thank you.

Hopefully this should help.

• 1 month later...

So anybody that took the last conductor exam know what the test would be about? Anybody remember any specific question they asked?

I know the test isn't until April but I just want to get a sense of what to expect come April

Thanks!

I will admit that I did not take the last Conductor exam. However, in the "Transit Photos & Videos" group on Facebook, someone did write this, which already got 12 likes:

"For the test you need to be able to read and write English, do simple math, know military time, and know city land marks. Any "information" the test might ask will be found in the test. You're not expected to know anything about being a conductor prior to taking the test." (October 30th, 5:52 AM)

Hopefully this will answer your question.

• 2 months later...

As of January 16th, 2016, this is the update, which can be seen at http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/6601.htm:

Thank you for applying for MTA NYC Transit Conductor, Exam No. 6601. Please take a moment and read the important information below.

APPLICATIONS: (NEW)

We are currently processing the applications for this exam. Due to the high volume of applications received, we cannot confirm whether your application was processed at this time.

SELECTION PROCESS: (NEW)

You will be given a multiple-choice test schedule to begin on April 9, 2016.

Please note there will be multiple test dates in April and May - tentatively April 9, April 10, April 23, April 24, May 7, May 8, May 21, and May 22.

Candidates should receive their admission letters by March 25.

Requests for specific test dates will not be permitted. Make-up requests will only be reviewed if they meet certain criteria, which will be posted as the test dates get closer.

Your score on this test will be used to determine your place on an eligible list. You must achieve a score of at least 70 to pass this test. You should receive an admission letter approximately ten days before the date of the multiple-choice test.

PLEASE NOTE:

You are responsible for keeping your address up to date. Only the address on our file will be used to mail correspondence.

To update your address, you may do one of the following:

1. Visit us at the MTA Exam Information Center located in the lobby of 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201, Mondays through Fridays, between 9 AM - 3 PM
  2. Email us at examsunit@nyct.com
  3. Fax us at (347) 643-8110

Thank you.

Thanks for posting the update, YoungNYCSubwayFan.

This test administration will be a real experience. Probably quite a few more applicants than any prior test they've given. I wonder how long it will take to release scores and then start hiring off this list?

First, you're welcome.

Second, they may make an announcement in regards to this at the exam. If I had to take an educated guess in regards to how long till the scores are released and then start hiring - I would say a year and a half to two years.

So it is true that there will be an oral proficiency test.

Oral Proficiency Assessment: If you pass the multiple-choice test, you will be scheduled to take the qualifying oral proficiency assessment as vacancies occur. However, based on the projected number of vacancies, it is possible that not all candidates who pass the multiple-choice test will be scheduled for the qualifying oral proficiency assessment. A score of 70% is required to pass the qualifying oral proficiency assessment. You will be required to pay an additional fee of $25.00 prior to taking the oral proficiency assessment. Failure to pay the additional fee on the date that you are scheduled to take the oral proficiency assessment will result in disqualification from further participation in the appointment process. The additional fee for the oral proficiency assessment will be waived for candidates who demonstrate that they are unemployed or receiving public assistance at the time of the assessment. In the qualifying oral proficiency assessment, you may be required to demonstrate the following abilities: Oral Comprehension - The ability to understand spoken English words and sentences. Oral Expression - The ability to use English words or sentences in speaking so others will understand. Memorization - The ability to remember information, such as words, numbers, pictures, and procedures. Pieces of information can be remembered by themselves or with other pieces of information. Speed of Closure -The ability to combine and organize different pieces of information into one meaningful pattern quickly. It is not known beforehand what the pattern will be. The material may be visual or auditory.

This sounds like tests the LIRR uses in preliminary screening of engineer trainees (and probably conductor trainees as well ).

I'm very curious how this all plays out. They could eliminate many high scoring written test takers if they score poorly on the subsequent oral/verbal/memorization test. I guess that scoring highly on the written test will be a prerequisite to taking the oral test.

So it is true that there will be an oral proficiency test.

Oral Proficiency Assessment: If you pass the multiple-choice test, you will be scheduled to take the qualifying oral proficiency assessment as vacancies occur. However, based on the projected number of vacancies, it is possible that not all candidates who pass the multiple-choice test will be scheduled for the qualifying oral proficiency assessment. A score of 70% is required to pass the qualifying oral proficiency assessment. You will be required to pay an additional fee of $25.00 prior to taking the oral proficiency assessment. Failure to pay the additional fee on the date that you are scheduled to take the oral proficiency assessment will result in disqualification from further participation in the appointment process. The additional fee for the oral proficiency assessment will be waived for candidates who demonstrate that they are unemployed or receiving public assistance at the time of the assessment. In the qualifying oral proficiency assessment, you may be required to demonstrate the following abilities: Oral Comprehension - The ability to understand spoken English words and sentences. Oral Expression - The ability to use English words or sentences in speaking so others will understand. Memorization - The ability to remember information, such as words, numbers, pictures, and procedures. Pieces of information can be remembered by themselves or with other pieces of information. Speed of Closure -The ability to combine and organize different pieces of information into one meaningful pattern quickly. It is not known beforehand what the pattern will be. The material may be visual or auditory.

This sounds like tests the LIRR uses in preliminary screening of engineer trainees (and probably conductor trainees as well ).

I'm very curious how this all plays out. They could eliminate many high scoring written test takers if they score poorly on the subsequent oral/verbal/memorization test. I guess that scoring highly on the written test will be a prerequisite to taking the oral test.

My apologies for being annoying, however, source? Especially with the memorization portion, and the ability to understand English words and sentences, how come this will not be on the upcoming civil service test?

The Google definition of Oral Proficiency "is a student's ability to speak a language in real-life settings, outside of the classroom." Therefore, where did all of this other stuff come from? It sounds like you copied this from another Notice of Examination, and potentially spreading false rumors, in my opinion...

My apologies for being annoying, however, source? Especially with the memorization portion, and the ability to understand English words and sentences, how come this will not be on the upcoming civil service test?

The Google definition of Oral Proficiency "is a student's ability to speak a language in real-life settings, outside of the classroom." Therefore, where did all of this other stuff come from? It sounds like you copied this from another Notice of Examination, and potentially spreading false rumors, in my opinion...

This came from the Conductors exam application 6601. Go check it out for yourself.

I recently moved... how can I get in contact with whomever needed to make this change?

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf/CorrectionForm.pdf

This came from the Conductors exam application 6601. Go check it out for yourself.

Okay...does anyone still have the PDF file to refer to? My apologies in advance, I just don't remember the Notice of Examination mentioning this at all.

Thanks in advance.