Questions Regarding Train Operator Exam 6608

Bronx Bound D

Hi all,

My name is Abel and this is my first time taking an open competitive exam.

I actually have a Train Operator passbook (had it since i was 16). I know, i really have a passion for this career. Anyways, i have glanced at it many times and found some really resourceful things on what to expect when entering the field, including the reading comprehension. Over the years i've scored from about 82-100%. I think my last practice exam was back to a 92%. It had some very bizarre questions regarding quarts, pints, and measurements that porters use and i honestly don't do that well when it comes to conversions.

Here are some questions i have:

1) Should i expect to find math problems, (such as the one i mentioned) on the test? Or any math questions at all?

2) How long would it take to receive my score? What comes afterwards? Is the hiring process a long wait?

3) I have done community service for about a Year (2013-2014), my current job is a seasonal temp at 1199, and as of now, as a reward for my hard work and dedication, my supervisor recommended me for another job as a transport for patients. I am also going to college full time. Will this be good enough experience for the TA to even consider me for Train Operator? Will my rank be good enough to even be eligible?

I do not mean to Bombard any of you with questions. I have looked at some links with detailed descriptions regarding my questions and concerns, but if anyone here could answer them in the simplest way possible, I would appreciate that. Something to take a quick glance at least. I just simply do not have the time on my plate to look at long descriptions, but i am very serious about what I want, and will do anything I can to be successful. Thank You and god bless to anyone who can help me. 

Regards,

Abel

1) When I took the last open competitive C/R exam, the only math that was on the test that I remember was converting standard time to military(maybe even adding or subtracting time). More than likely it's on the T/O test as well.

2) Before NYCT administered and graded thier tests, it was done by the City(DCAS). Recieving your final score and list number(rank) would take at least a year it seemed. After that, they would start calling based on the hiring needs of the agency. This could take as little as a few months to years based on how you rank. The middle man has been cut out and now the scoring and grading process seems to be moving a little faster.

3) From the previous open competitive T/O exam: you must have a HS Diploma/GED and 5 years of paid f/t work experience. 30 college credits can replace 1 year of work experience up to a max of 4 years w/ 1 year of actual work experience. Part-time paid work is prorated. Those requirements had to be met by the last day of filing for the exam. They can amend those requirements on the new test, but more than likely they won't since it's been the same for the last 2...

Thank you for the info @tricknologist. I'm not as worried about the exam as I was before.

However I am still a little concerned about the requirements. By what I mentioned before as my experience, would in your opinion, that be sufficient enough by the end of the filing date?

Assuming I get a real high score and get called quick, will I be able to continue training, testing etc?

Thank you for the info @tricknologist. I'm not as worried about the exam as I was before.

However I am still a little concerned about the requirements. By what I mentioned before as my experience, would in your opinion, that be sufficient enough by the end of the filing date?

Well, in another post of yours, you mentioned that you are going to college, so 30 college credits will substitute for one year of full-time experience for a maximum of four years. You still need one year of full-time paid work experience, part-time paid work is pro-rated.

Therefore, from my experience from completing the education and experience portions for several exams, primarily for DCAS, it depends on the number of hours you put in and how long you have been working your paid part-time job. If you have not been at your paid part-time job that long to meet the requirements, you can always take the Conductor examination, in which you just need a High School/GED Diploma.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Well, in another post of yours, you mentioned that you are going to college, so 30 college credits will substitute for one year of full-time experience for a maximum of four years. You still need one year of full-time paid work experience, part-time paid work is pro-rated.

Therefore, from my experience from completing the education and experience portions for several exams, primarily for DCAS, it depends on the number of hours you put in and how long you have been working your paid part-time job. If you have not been at your paid part-time job that long to meet the requirements, you can always take the Conductor examination, in which you just need a High School/GED Diploma.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Hmm, well my temp job currently is full time 9-5 at 13.00/hr. Its only for the summer. Ive been recommended for another job as a transporter for patients. That job more or less will be part time while i continue onto my fall semester and that will be permenant. I do have unpaid experience work, such as community service while i was in high school. Does that also count? Do they by any chance combine the different hours and jobs together, or do they just look at one job individually?

Based on what ive been told (from others who've taken the test as well), i heard that as long as i meet the age requirements,and score high on the civil service test, i should be fine. The interview will also be important, based on experience as well. But once again, i'm still unsure. School was always a priority. I will indeed take the conductors test.

Bronx Bound D, I think you are worrying a little too much about having work experience because after the exams it usually takes months to get your score and list number then there's no set time frame for how soon after they establish the list for them to start calling people on there. So i beleive you will have at least more than a year waiting plus you will be working in the mean time and school so you should be more than good. Plus nobody really dont know what the quailifications will be untill the Notice of the Exam comes out at the begining of the filing period. Just stay patient, keep working and keep going to school.

Bronx Bound D, I think you are worrying a little too much about having work experience because after the exams it usually takes months to get your score and list number then there's no set time frame for how soon after they establish the list for them to start calling people on there. So i beleive you will have at least more than a year waiting plus you will be working in the mean time and school so you should be more than good. Plus nobody really dont know what the quailifications will be untill the Notice of the Exam comes out at the begining of the filing period. Just stay patient, keep working and keep going to school.

Perhaps I am. I just want to know as much as I can before the time comes. When it comes to working (especially at a job i'm most interested in), I want to know about it ahead of time. Puts things in perspective for me, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the insight Fcoral05

Archived