NYCT Bus orders through 2019

East New York

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course the winning vendor has already been selected. The winner of any bidding process is always selected before the process begins. That's how the public sector works. The only real questions are (1) which vendor and (2) when the choice will be disclosed.

The bidding process hasn't started yet.

What's this about the winner being selected before the bid? That makes no sense

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The bidding process hasn't started yet.

What's this about the winner being selected before the bid? That makes no sense

It makes perfect sense because all public bidding processes are SHAMS.  The first step is to make the eventual decision. The second step is to "go through the motions" for the sake of appearances.

Are you an express bus rider? If so you should hope that MCI wins the bid. They are MUCH better than those Prevosts...

That's why I asked. I prefer MCI alot more. I'm not really a fan of how the Prevosts look. I honestly don't know how they ride cause I haven't ridden one but being in Queens the MCIs are all I've come to know besides the Orion Vs when they had their days on express runs.

Are you an express bus rider? If so you should hope that MCI wins the bid. They are MUCH better than those Prevosts...

IDK why the prevost get so much hate, yes the seats feel smaller because of lower seats, however the A/C vents are better and the reading lamps are better too. This is from someone who has ridden both the newest MCI's and the oldest Prevost which came around the same time. 

Now if MCI does win the order, I hope they do the interior similar to the prevost with the carpeted roof, and the A/C vents it just look better and is more efficient. 

IDK why the prevost get so much hate, yes the seats feel smaller because of lower seats, however the A/C vents are better and the reading lamps are better too. This is from someone who has ridden both the newest MCI's and the oldest Prevost which came around the same time. 

Now if MCI does win the order, I hope they do the interior similar to the prevost with the carpeted roof, and the A/C vents it just look better and is more efficient. 

I mean MCI has been in NYC so long now that its what we're used to. I would like to see how the Prevosts are first hand but its not worth it to take the trip to Staten Island for no reason. 

I mean MCI has been in NYC so long now that its what we're used to. I would like to see how the Prevosts are first hand but its not worth it to take the trip to Staten Island for no reason. 

You don't have to goto Staten Island. You can just take the weekend X17 or the X27/28/37/38. 

That's because you've been on them after they fixed all the issues. Almost all of the Prevosts had horrible HVACs and electrical problems here and there with the interior lights and so-on. That's why the last order and the 2400 series order was delayed quite a bit so they can fix those issues.

Didn't people complain that the newest MCI's had poor acceleration?

Your dark irony seems to have been lost on most people here

Yep, but that's been remedied a little bit.

To put it short, they're spec'd with the engine that's primarily on a local bus, but they kinda turned them up a bit. The 2200s in Castleton and Spring Creek are all ungoverned, so they're the fastest MCIs in the fleet.

In addition to the seats, the announcements are loud and obnoxious, along with the loud bell.  The turned everything up significantly on the newest Prevosts and getting any kind of quiet or a nap is next to impossible.  You can't even drown out the noise with earbuds... I wrote to the (MTA) about my disdain for those buses since I usually have a headache by the time I've rode to and from Staten Island on them, and they claim that they're received good feedback, which I think is total BS.  Even when these buses came out on Staten Island, most riders noted their preference for the MCIs.  They are more tolerable on the X27/X28 though, since those are the older Prevosts.

That's why I asked. I prefer MCI alot more. I'm not really a fan of how the Prevosts look. I honestly don't know how they ride cause I haven't ridden one but being in Queens the MCIs are all I've come to know besides the Orion Vs when they had their days on express runs.

You're not missing much... Your MCI buses in Queens are bit more beat up inside than our MCIs out of Yonkers Depot, but I'll still take them over those Prevosts.

You don't have to goto Staten Island. You can just take the weekend X17 or the X27/28/37/38. 

Forgot about the UP routes.

In addition to the seats, the announcements are loud and obnoxious, along with the loud bell.  The turned everything up significantly on the newest Prevosts and getting any kind of quiet or a nap is next to impossible.  You can't even drown out the noise with earbuds... I wrote to the (MTA) about my disdain for those buses since I usually have a headache by the time I've rode to and from Staten Island on them, and they claim that they're received good feedback, which I think is total BS.  Even when these buses came out on Staten Island, most riders noted their preference for the MCIs.  They are more tolerable on the X27/X28 though, since those are the older Prevosts.

You're not missing much... Your MCI buses in Queens are bit more beat up inside than our MCIs out of Yonkers Depot, but I'll still take them over those Prevosts.

I know some of the CP ones are battle tested for sure. Some of the 2005 ones are pushing 400k miles. 

I believe someone here (I don't remember if it was ENY) saying that the Prevosts have a better fuel economy than the MCI's. Would that be a deciding factor (given that there's no federal money involved).

The Prevosts are attractive to the (MTA) mainly because they are cheaper than the MCIs. However, as a taxpayer and an express bus rider, I don't feel that the Prevosts give the (MTA) the best bang for their buck. The MCIs can take deal with taking more beatings than those Prevosts.  I just came back from a session in Parkchester... Used two rather old MCIs on the BxM6 and the AC was great, seats were great... Those buses are pushing 10 years old and for their age they are in fantastic condition.  

The Prevosts are attractive to the (MTA) mainly because they are cheaper than the MCIs. However, as a taxpayer and an express bus rider, I don't feel that the Prevosts give the (MTA) the best bang for their buck. The MCIs can take deal with taking more beatings than those Prevosts.  I just came back from a session in Parkchester... Used two rather old MCIs on the BxM6 and the AC was great, seats were great... Those buses are pushing 10 years old and for their age they are in fantastic condition.  

That's debatable. Let them run for 10 years and then we can judge that.

Good Point. They're too new to give a fair assessment. Why not do best of both worlds some MCI and some Prevost. Give each depot what their mechanics and operators prefer. 

That wouldn't be fair though because Yonkers takes care of their buses a lot better than Yukon. If they were maintained by the same depo then you can compare. 

That wouldn't be fair though because Yonkers takes care of their buses a lot better than Yukon. If they were maintained by the same depo then you can compare.

Which Depot takes care of what fleet does not matter, it's about how long they can last over time.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Which Depot takes care of what fleet does not matter, it's about how long they can last over time.

But think about riding a bus from Cp and one from the Bronx, the CP buses are all in bad shape yet they're almost the same age of their bronx counterparts. Some from CP are even newer IIRC.

Sure it does... Staten Island had to borrow MCIs from Spring Creek because their own fleet was so beat up...

And? They still lasted past their expectancy. The 1800s & 1900s retired much later than anticipated.

But think about riding a bus from Cp and one from the Bronx, the CP buses are all in bad shape yet they're almost the same age of their bronx counterparts. Some from CP are even newer IIRC.

That still doesn't mean anything. They're still holding up, right?

Yep, but that's been remedied a little bit.

To put it short, they're spec'd with the engine that's primarily on a local bus, but they kinda turned them up a bit. The 2200s in Castleton and Spring Creek are all ungoverned, so they're the fastest MCIs in the fleet.

Very cool, thanks! Still odd to me that they put a wimpy engine on what they know will be an express bus, but glad they are fixing it

And? They still lasted past their expectancy. The 1800s & 1900s retired much later than anticipated.

That still doesn't mean anything. They're still holding up, right?

You're just looking at figures... I'm thinking about actually riding those buses... Shocks shot and some of the atrocious experiences I've had on some of those buses... They lasted alright, and the passengers were miserable riding them... No A/C on numerous occasions, etc.  But yeah they held up... lol

You're just looking at figures... I'm thinking about actually riding those buses... Shocks shot and some of the atrocious experiences I've had on some of those buses... They lasted alright, and the passengers were miserable riding them... No A/C on numerous occasions, etc.  But yeah they held up... lol

Couldn't have said it better myself 

Archived