R143 J/Z

NYtransit

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the random thoughts thread is being bombarded with R143 (J) talk. This needs its own thread.

lol.... I honestly don't know the difference between the R143 and the R160 or whatever the other subway car is. As long as it's nicely lit with good climate control, clean and the announcements are audible, that's all I car about.

That's why the forum is awesome. A place for those who do care to talk about it and not be persecuted.  Wouldn't you agree @VG8?

lol... Sure if it floats your boat.  Nothing wrong with discussing.  However, I could never see myself wasting time looking for a specific bus or a train.  Time is money.  I guess for folks who don't work and live at home with mommy and daddy they have tons of time for stuff like that.  More power to them!

lol... Sure if it floats your boat.  Nothing wrong with discussing.  However, I could never see myself wasting time looking for a specific bus or a train.  Time is money.  I guess for folks who don't work and live at home with mommy and daddy they have tons of time for stuff like that.  More power to them!

Correct just let the boat float.  Rail Run Rob says: It is easy for one to talk but it is twice as hard to listen.  Words to live by.

I have a feeling with the R143's on the (J) and (Z), the lines could become potential candidates for CBTC installment.

Even if that was going to happen, the fact that a single train has come out onto the line is not a sign of that. They had no other units to spare, so they threw an R143 on there. Big deal. If they throw out an R142 on the (1), does that mean that the R62As are going to be retired soon?

I have a feeling with the R143's on the (J) and (Z), the lines could become potential candidates for CBTC installment.

I'm pretty sure every line in the system is eventually getting CBTC installments Edited by R3216068E

I'm pretty sure every line in the system is eventually getting CBTC installments

It'll take decades actually, but yes, CBTC will eventually be installed throughout the entire New York City Subway.

As long as the age of the signalling system on a New York City Subway corridor is new, don't expect CBTC on said corridor until years later. Remember that the only reason why the IRT Flushing Line is having CBTC installed is because the age of the signalling system is the oldest than all other corridors. If I'm not mistaken, all the other IRT corridors had their signalling systems replaced in the 1950's and in the 1960's, but Flushing never had its signaling system replaced (?). The Flushing Line being isolated like the Canarsie Line is also the reason for CBTC.

After Flushing CBTC is finished, the Queens Boulevard will have the oldest signalling system, which will need replacing too and its CBTC won't be fully operational for years. It's the same as Canarsie (formerly) and Flushing (currently) went through/are going through with all the constant weekend and/or overnight shutdowns.

Edited by RollOver

It'll take decades actually, but yes, CBTC will eventually be installed throughout the entire New York City Subway.

As long as the age of the signalling system on a New York City Subway corridor is new, don't expect CBTC on said corridor until years later. Remember that the only reason why the IRT Flushing Line is having CBTC installed is because the age of the signalling system is the oldest than all other corridors. If I'm not mistaken, all the other IRT corridors had their signalling systems replaced in the 1950's and in the 1960's, but Flushing never had its signaling system replaced (?). The Flushing Line being isolated like the Canarsie Line is also the reason for CBTC.

After Flushing CBTC is finished, the Queens Boulevard will have the oldest signalling system, which will need replacing too and its CBTC won't be fully operational for years. It's the same as Canarsie (formerly) and Flushing (currently) went through/are going through with all the constant weekend and/or overnight shutdowns.

True, I know it will take years to install CBTC,Once CBTC is installed the whole subway system will be modern it will be filled with new signals and NTTS (even though I'm certain that all of the old equipment will be gone far before the entire system is CBTC)

When the IRT eventually adopts CBTC, do you think they'll retrofit the 142s? Or order new cars?

Most likely buy new cars, possibly from different manufacturers in Japan interested in CBTC equipped subway trains (Mitusbishi Heavy Industries, Niigata Transys, Kinki Sharyo, Nippon Sharyo, Japan Transport Engineering Company, *Hyundai Rotem, etc). As for the 142's, they be either rebuilt to be CBTC compatible, last a few more years of revenue service, or retired altogether to replace to Rebird work cars since the were introduced/entered service into the transit system in 1999.

*South Korean train manufacturer

Back up just a station, the R142's can't go into work service or become work trains (except pump trains) and the R142's are currently the newest subway cars for the IRT System, so they won't be retired anytime soon.

Why would they become pump cars, they're BARELY a quarter of the way through their life cycle now

Why would they become pump cars, they're BARELY a quarter of the way through their life cycle now

Thank you.

When I FOUND the set, it still said Jamaica Lcl, not Nassau St. Does this mean that when announcements are updated on the R160's, it might get updated on R143's too? Cuz I have a bad feeling that the brown (M) has been erased :/

Back up just a station, the R142's can't go into work service or become work trains (except pump trains) and the R142's are currently the newest subway cars for the IRT System, so they won't be retired anytime soon.

The R142? Pump train? HA! No way bro, try again. The R142's are yet to retire, many MANY more decades ahead of us.

I said IF they were to retire. The R142's can't become work trains, since ALL of them are being used in the system right now. If one R142 gets retired, we have a shorter supply of subway cars.

What makes you think that? Out of a fleet of 1030, only 900 R142s get used. The R142s won't become work trains because they're barely 1/4 through their service life, but if one got retired right now, the earth wouldn't shatter.