R143 J/Z

NYtransit

Ridership on the Brown (M) was very low except for on the Jamaica El. Ridership on the (V) was very low the (MTA) was going through a financial crisis so they decided to cut some subway lines that weren't really useful so the (MTA) decided to send the (M) to QBL to replace the (V) so that riders from Broadway,Brooklyn can connect to Midtown Manhattan. The Brown (M) was a nearly abandoned line that wasn't very useful as so as the (V).

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But why the MTA let the (M) go to Queens twice? I just hate the fact they changed it in 2010. They confused many riders when they discontinued the Brown (M) and the (V)

Remember that Williamsburg is growing and it was shown that there was a need for another Williamsburg-Midtown route. Plus, it was easier to combine the (V) and (M) than keep the (M) to Bay Parkway (or during the first time the cuts were announced, to Chambers Street) and the (V)

Fun fact, today's (M) was originally to be called the (V), but imagine the confusion on Myrtle Avenue on weekends compared to the 6th Avenue line on weekdays.

Remember that Williamsburg is growing and it was shown that there was a need for another Williamsburg-Midtown route. Plus, it was easier to combine the (V) and (M) than keep the (M) to Bay Parkway (or during the first time the cuts were announced, to Chambers Street) and the (V).

Fun fact, today's (M) was originally to be called the (V), but imagine the confusion on Myrtle Avenue on weekends compared to the 6th Avenue line on weekdays.

Thats true, so you got a point.

People are used to it. The (E) back up until 1976 ran between 179th Street And Rockaway Park

Here comes Big (D) ...

NOW people are used to it. Before, like ive stated in this post, ridership was low because there wasn't enough residents living in Bu..*COUGH*..I mean Williamsburg. Now the ridership on the Myrtle Av Line went high, and the south part of Bklyn STILL needs help. The QBL has high ridership too, thats why I consider bringing back the (V) Local and extend the (G) to 71st on rush hour (some) and wkends. The QBL needs help too. The (R) cant handle it by itself. The Queens Blvd line grew ridership like mad since 09.

Here comes Big (D) ...

NOW people are used to it. Before, like ive stated in this post, ridership was low because there wasn't enough residents living in Bu..*COUGH*..I mean Williamsburg. Now the ridership on the Myrtle Av Line went high, and the south part of Bklyn STILL needs help. The QBL has high ridership too, thats why I consider bringing back the (V) Local and extend the (G) to 71st on rush hour (some) and wkends. The QBL needs help too. The (R) cant handle it by itself. The Queens Blvd line grew ridership like mad since 09.

3 trains terminating at 71st during the Rush? Hell no. They can't even ease the congestion with the (M) and (R) terminating at 71st and I'm not talking Rush Hours. That problem goes on all day. The (M) is good how it is now. It's a huge improvement over the (V) and I've ridden the (V) many times. It was DEAD

Here comes Big (D) ...

Right, the (R) can't handle QBL alone. That's why the (M) is there. They can't bring back the (G) because the 71st Ave relay tracks would become overwhelmed by having to turn the G, M and R at the same time during rush hours. It would be no different if the (V) was brought back and that's why there was only the R and V on weekdays from 2002-10.

The south part of Brooklyn? Do you mean the 4th Ave local? Does the (R) really need help there too? How so? I know some folks in Bay Ridge are unhappy with the current R service and the 4th Ave local stops south of 36th St to the end of the line are seeing steadily increasing ridership, though still not at QBL levels. But additional service can't come unless the MTA has enough cars and funding to operate extra service. Bombardier's continuing troubles with building the R179s certainly aren't helping the situation. Nor is having to send R143s onto the J, because the L needs its trains to deal with its own continually growing ridership

Remember that Williamsburg is growing and it was shown that there was a need for another Williamsburg-Midtown route. Plus, it was easier to combine the (V) and (M) than keep the (M) to Bay Parkway (or during the first time the cuts were announced, to Chambers Street) and the (V).

They had originally planned in 2009 to keep the (V) as it was, eliminate (J) / (Z) skip stop service in favor of an all-stop J on 8-minute rush hour headways and cut the M at either Broad or Chambers. Funding from Albany staved off that plan, but the next year, we got the service plan we currently have when Albany decided to cut the MTA's funding. Although they did originally plan to eliminate the letter M completely from the subway and call the combined service the V. Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Nor is having to send R143s onto the J, because the L needs its trains to deal with its own continually growing ridership.

I've heard that fewer R160s are out for CBTC work. I may not be correct though, but this is what I heard. But even then, I don't see why either when the (J) 's fleet is almost entirely SMEEs (14 trainsets of 8-car R32 and 6 trainsets of 8-car R42 cars). They have plenty of R32s and R42s from ENY yard to be use in service on the (J).

Basically ENY is using anything set of equipment to put on the (J) to make up milage. A few R160s are out for CBTC work so they can add extra trains to the (L) in December. It's true that the original plan was to sent the (V) up to Metro and eliminate (M) service but the costumers would be more comfortable with an (M) designation than an (V) so the decided to send the (M) up to Forest Hills

I've heard that fewer R160s are out for CBTC work. I may not be correct though, but this is what I heard. But even then, I don't see why either when the (J) 's fleet is almost entirely SMEEs (14 trainsets of 8-car R32 and 6 trainsets of 8-car R42 cars). They have plenty of R32s and R42s from ENY yard to be use in service on the (J).

Those R42s are going through some major work actually which why they're in the yard

Ridership on the Brown (M) was very low except for on the Jamaica El. Ridership on the (V) was very low the (MTA) was going through a financial crisis so they decided to cut some subway lines that weren't really useful so the (MTA) decided to send the (M) to QBL to replace the (V) so that riders from Broadway,Brooklyn can connect to Midtown Manhattan. The Brown (M) was a nearly abandoned line that wasn't very useful as so as the (V).

The correct term is discontinued, not abandoned.

3 trains terminating at 71st during the Rush? Hell no. They can't even ease the congestion with the (M) and (R) terminating at 71st and I'm not talking Rush Hours. That problem goes on all day. The (M) is good how it is now. It's a huge improvement over the (V) and I've ridden the (V) many times. It was DEAD

I see that all the time. The problem is fumigation.

The RBB line would reroute M trains. This would relieve congestion at Forest Hills.

The correct term is discontinued, not abandoned.

I see that all the time. The problem is fumigation.

The RBB line would reroute M trains. This would relieve congestion at Forest Hills.

Na, I meant that nobody was riding it so it was like an abandoned route

not nobody, but not enough riders to justify the M running to Bay Parkway. Maybe an extension of the W once it comes back to Bay Pkwy.

Yeah that would be a good idea but I don't think that Coney island yard would have enough trains for that.

not nobody, but not enough riders to justify the M running to Bay Parkway. Maybe an extension of the W once it comes back to Bay Pkwy.

Why do the (D) and (R) need another line in South Brooklyn to help them when it's been clear that the old (M) had always light ridership? The (D) and (R) currently run 10 tph at rush hours anyway. The Fourth Avenue Local and West End lines have enough frequent service at rush hour. Whether trains arrive on time or not is a different story.

Why do the (D) and (R) need another line in South Brooklyn to help them when it's been clear that the old (M) had always light ridership? The (D) and (R) currently run 10 tph at rush hours anyway. The Fourth Avenue Local and West End lines have enough frequent service at rush hour. Whether trains arrive on time or not is a different story.

I was just saying that if another service was to be brought back down 4th avenue, it would be the W.

By far, this is the most suprising move ive ever seen done. Since the R143 is so close to a R160, I decided to do some videos of the catch.

I'm as surprised they even done that too.

I have a feeling with the R143's on the (J) and (Z), the lines could become potential candidates for CBTC installment.

I'll be even more surprised if they made a strip map for the (J) and (Z) lines similar to those on the (2), (4), (5), (6), (7), and (L) lines.

Edited by ACEVE14

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...