Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
TheNewYorkElevated

Places Where It's Cool To Take Photos While Railfanning

Can anyone give me information for these systems if they are safe to do non-commercial photography/filming?

Subway systems of China and high speed rail

Hong Kong MTR

Japan and the Japan Rail network, as well as all private railways (subway systems included: Fukuoka, Kobe, Kyoto, Osaka, Nagoya, Saporro, Yokohama. I already know photography is allowed on Tokyo's subway system)

London Underground and Overground (buses also included)

Los Angeles metro

Singapore subway system

Paris metro

Thanks.

Can anyone give me information for these systems if they are safe to do non-commercial photography/filming?

Hong Kong MTR

Japan and the Japan Rail network, as well as all private railways (subway systems included: Fukuoka, Kobe, Kyoto, Osaka, Nagoya, Saporro, Yokohama. I already know photography is allowed on Tokyo's subway system)

Los Angeles metro

Singapore subway system

Paris metro

Thanks.

I can confirm that JR and private railways (Keihan, Keikyu, Keio, Odakyu to name a few if you didn't know some) are fine with photography and video. I was never told I wasn't allowed because there are many railfanners in Japan (quite a lot actually) and therefore it has become quite normal. No one riding on trains and on platforms were bothered by it, so Japan is an ideal place to railfan.

While I have been to Paris (on a school trip actually) and have ridden the Metro there, I'm unsure if the rules there are okay with photography. From what I know, railfanning there is pretty rare. From what I can assume, railfanning is okay to an extent.

London's subway network (including overground) must be okay with this. I have seen a lot of railfan videos on YouTube. Plus the railfanning community in the UK is pretty big so people are aware about it. Buses there aren't really strict from what I've heard. I can assume it is okay since there are some who do busfan.

As for the rest, I do not know. I have a feeling in Hong Kong they might be okay with it as well as in Singapore. Don't quote me on this speculation.

I can confirm that JR and private railways (Keihan, Keikyu, Keio, Odakyu to name a few if you didn't know some) are fine with photography and video. I was never told I wasn't allowed because there are many railfanners in Japan (quite a lot actually) and therefore it has become quite normal. No one riding on trains and on platforms were bothered by it, so Japan is an ideal place to railfan.

While I have been to Paris (on a school trip actually) and have ridden the Metro there, I'm unsure if the rules there are okay with photography. From what I know, railfanning there is pretty rare. From what I can assume, railfanning is okay to an extent.

London's subway network (including overground) must be okay with this. I have seen a lot of railfan videos on YouTube. Plus the railfanning community in the UK is pretty big so people are aware about it. Buses there aren't really strict from what I've heard. I can assume it is okay since there are some who do busfan.

As for the rest, I do not know. I have a feeling in Hong Kong they might be okay with it as well as in Singapore. Don't quote me on this speculation.

Okay... How about these systems;

Berlin U-Bahn

Washington DC Metro (buses included)

GO Transit

Metra

MBTA (commuter rail and buses; I know it's okay to film the subway system)

Buffalo Metro Rail

NJTransit buses

Also, is it okay to busfan in Hong Kong and Singapore?

I believe UK's underground, overground, and regional lines are okay since there are TONS of videos online.

Also, how would one monitor a ban on bus photography anyway? It's not like they can ban people from having cameras out in public.

GO Transit is fine.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Hong Kong MTR

Los Angeles metro

Singapore subway system

Paris metro

Thanks.

There are lots of transitbuffs in Japan, so you should be fine. You look at video, there's lots of Japanese videos of trains, buses, new high-speed train, ferries, fancy UFO-shaped ferrybus, and cute kindergarden buses which can be Pikachu, Cat Bus from "My Neighbor Totoro", and Thomas the Tank engine shaped buses.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Okay... How about these systems;

Berlin U-Bahn

Washington DC Metro (buses included)

GO Transit

Metra

MBTA (commuter rail and buses; I know it's okay to film the subway system)

Buffalo Metro Rail

NJTransit buses

Also, is it okay to busfan in Hong Kong and Singapore?

Berlin is okay for fanning. There are quite a bit of videos of the U-Bahn on YouTube.

New question:

Is it okay to do non-commercial filming/photography on the Santo Domingo Metro? Make sure these are answered aswell.

Okay... But what if I'm plannning to busfan in Hong Kong or Singapore or NJTransit buses?

Thanks. That is all.