Proposed new High Speed Rail alignment for the Northeast

Union Tpke

This is the current proposal.

This proposal misses out on major cities such as Worcester and Springfield and replacing it with less important cities like Woonsocket.

amtrak_nextgen_north-thumb-520x316-2702.

My proposal would involve two new lines.

The first line would go via Hoboken, a set of tunnels under the Hudson to a major station at Hudson Terminal at 14 St with connections to 7 and L service. Then it would run via the west side of Manhattan, up the Hudson Line to a point north of Phillipse Manor, where it goes through some parkland, then RT 117, and it then it goes up the Saw Mill Pkwy, and then crosses the Cross River Reservoir. What the Japanese do is instead of going around something, they go through it or find a direct way to do it. This is what should be done here. It would then go onto private property, which would need to be seized by eminent domain, to Danbury.

This would allow service to Springfield and Worcester, areas over 100,000 people in the NEC region.nec59.png

The second line would serve Newburgh and Albany via the Hudson Line, the Tappan Zee, the Pallisades with some cut-offs, through West Point but not going near the Academy, then via I-87, and then via the West Shore Division, then after Albany skirts around I-90.

20336648038_be89f6f663_b.jpgScreen Shot 2015-08-12 at 7.57.34 PM by spicker613, on Flickr

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&hl=en&authuser=0&authuser=0&mid=z3JxdD7y3GTk.kAFROeAbQdkI

• 2 weeks later...

Archived