Why is the subway slower than it used to be?

Joel Up Front

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to chime in---maybe the experts can correct me if I am wrong.

I also think a contributing factor to subway delays is the newer service patterns.

With the new M train, you have mergers with the F train, the E train and the R train.

On the Broadway line, you have the N, R and Q trains all merging at 34th street. Not to mention what happens after Canal St. Broadway is a mess IMO. 

Safety first always just seems like the idea of safety has changed over the years. The system is now operating slower then it was initially designed to, so we'd have to assume that what was safe in 1900-30's isn't considered so presently? Once again back to the original question what do we know now that we didn't know before?Or is this just a case of deferred maintenance, ill upkeep or an expense issue wear and tear ?

That would actually be correct. The system was much less safe in those days.

Even rulebook procedures have changed. Whether it's employees wearing safety vests, flagging rules, stopping distances, or even procedures for encountering red signals, there have been lots of changes over the years.

To go back even further, as originally built, many IRT local tracks weren't even signalled, and of course you didn't have radios.

Collisions occurred with much more frequency years ago than today.

The system is not perfect, but it is safer than the 30s.

The standards for what is considered "safe" have been raised significantly over the years. Largely by the threat of lawsuits.

It Used to be called Mikey. Now it's Mary

UPDATE: It's actually called Mikey. One of my T/O friends confirmed it

Both names are used. Not everything down here is as black and white as railfans like to make it seem. So stop arguing about nonsense.

That would actually be correct. The system was much less safe in those days.

Even rulebook procedures have changed. Whether it's employees wearing safety vests, flagging rules, stopping distances, or even procedures for encountering red signals, there have been lots of changes over the years.

To go back even further, as originally built, many IRT local tracks weren't even signalled, and of course you didn't have radios.

Collisions occurred with much more frequency years ago than today.

The system is not perfect, but it is safer than the 30s.

The standards for what is considered "safe" have been raised significantly over the years. Largely by the threat of lawsuits.

Had to make that last statement bold because folks can and will and have Sued TA for everything down here... Even for their own stupidity ( walking into a moving train leaving the station)....

The compromise is essentialy speed vs. safety.

The problem is to find a way to have safe service, but have rapid service.

Hopefully newer technology can allow this to happen.

True, but there are definitely some knee-jerk decisions the TA has made that are anything but a compromise. The company puts so little faith in its employees that nearly everywhere are failsafe mechanisms to prevent human error. At a certain point, one has to wonder if maybe there are more decisions that should be left in the hands of competent employees.

True, but there are definitely some knee-jerk decisions the TA has made that are anything but a compromise. The company puts so little faith in its employees that nearly everywhere are failsafe mechanisms to prevent human error. At a certain point, one has to wonder if maybe there are more decisions that should be left in the hands of competent employees.

Who can blame them? The requirements are set too low to begin with.  I still contend that a college degree should be required in addition to more stringent exams. 

Who can blame them? The requirements are set too low to begin with.  I still contend that a college degree should be required in addition to more stringent exams. 

The private sector's move towards a degree for every job has only cheapened the value of degrees and added to the crushing student loan crisis. These days too many entry-level jobs require a bachelor's and five years experience when they wouldn't have required those ten or twenty years ago. And yes, let me just sign up for the university that offers a Bachelor's in Train Operations >.>

No!

Low standards low quality workers right? <_<

The private sector's move towards a degree for every job has only cheapened the value of degrees and added to the crushing student loan crisis. These days too many entry-level jobs require a bachelor's and five years experience when they wouldn't have required those ten or twenty years ago. And yes, let me just sign up for the university that offers a Bachelor's in Train Operations >.>

And you want to know something? That's the way it should be.  I am finally eligible to move up into a senior project manager role that could pay 80-100k a year and for that there should be stringent requirements.  Some guy that takes a few tests and now makes 80 - 100k a year (usually thug types off of the street with little education) is pathetic.  I'm a white collar individual and it peeves me to no end to see this going on. It's the same thing as the people I see at Whole Foods making $15-20 dollars an hour.  For what?? I'm all for fair wages but low skilled jobs for folks with little to no education should not be overpaid.

My last year of college at a private university in Europe was about $20k alone.  Why should some duffus with a GED make as much as me?

Should we have college degrees for McDonald's workers too?

Lol at the last part. He thinks college degrees solve the world's problems (in this case, the MTA's). That's far from the truth. He should probably tell his Yonkers "buddies" that BO's should have degrees, and hear what they think. Common misconception that college will create "higher quality" workers. A college degree doesn't mean shit, if you don't take things seriously. It all depends on the individual themselves. 

There's probably another reason that he wants BO's and TO's to have college degrees, one that may have to deal with socioeconomic status/stereotypical stance, such as seen here:

And you want to know something? That's the way it should be.  I am finally eligible to move up into a senior project manager role that could pay 80-100k a year and for that there should be stringent requirements.  Some guy that takes a few tests and now makes 80 - 100k a year (usually thug types off of the street with little education) is pathetic.  

But hey, that's just me. I'm not gonna further entertain that.

Should we have college degrees for McDonald's workers too?

Lol at the last part. He thinks college degrees solve the world's problems (in this case, the MTA's). That's far from the truth. He should probably tell his Yonkers "buddies" that BO's should have degrees, and hear what they think. Common misconception that college will create "higher quality" workers. A college degree doesn't mean shit, if you don't take things seriously. It all depends on the individual themselves. 

There's probably another reason that he wants BO's and TO's to have college degrees, one that may have to deal with socioeconomic status/stereotypical stance, such as seen here:

But hey, that's just me. I'm not gonna further entertain that.

You're right, college doesn't solve everything, but it's a start.  I'm willing to bet that your average GED guy is someone who can barely spell, read and write properly. 

I know of a few College Grads who didn't make it past Schoolcar...

One Guy Even said "Oh a monkey can do this Job" during Orientation. 

Yet he couldnt stop a train to save his life....

This Job has more to do with Common sense and following simple Instructions more than anything else.

Oh btw you do know most of those folks who make these insane GOs(Ones that you have complained about) and Supplements are College Grads? That is a requirement to hold those Jobs i believe. 

I know of a few College Grads who didn't make it past Schoolcar...

One Guy Even said "Oh a monkey can do this Job" during Orientation. 

Yet he couldnt stop a train to save his life....

This Job has more to do with Common sense and following simple Instructions more than anything else.

And my fear is that as America as a whole becomes less educated we will have more and more people that lack common sense.  I've been teaching off and on since I was in college and I see first hand what is out there and it's disturbing.  That's exactly why I turned down a teaching position when I graduated and went into project management.  I'm well aware of how watered down a degree is these days but the standards overall are being dulled down and quite frankly it scares me.  We're becoming a work force overall that's quite incompetent.  Many employers can't find skilled workers.  Even the (MTA) has admitted that the newer workers coming in often times can't cut it.  That right there says a lot.  I hire and fire people myself and I can't tell you how many incompetent people I interview.  I had a middle aged woman walk into my office the other evening asking me if I was looking to hire professionals in our field. I HATE when people walk in without appointments but I thought I would be nice and give her a chance since she was already interrupting me, so I asked her for a CV.  She took the time to look us up but came to the office with NOTHING.  Who in the hell comes to an office like that? Once I heard that I quickly found a way to get rid of her and got her out of my office so that I could finish up the project I was working on.  On top of that she had the audacity to ask me for my business card which I refused to give and she went about her business and left.

The compromise is essentialy speed vs. safety.

The problem is to find a way to have safe service, but have rapid service.

Hopefully newer technology can allow this to happen.

If you're referring to CBTC, the limiting factor on trains per hour is terminal capacity, not throughput at a gap station.

So long as you have bumping blocks and trains required to enter slowly (for safety), new technology means diddly without reconfiguring the line to run multiple terminals. This is how the 7 is able to run as many trains as it is - it runs 3 1/2 terminals, and Times Square...and 34th when finished...both do not end in bumping blocks, allowing trains to enter those stations at higher speed.

The 3 1/2 terminals being Main St. and Times Sq. of course, but Willets is used as a terminal during rush hours, and the half being 111th if you count put ins coming out of the yard going in service there. That adds significantly to the capacity of the line, which you wouldn't have if you had a configuration like the L line where there are only 2 terminals. You could maybe turn some L's at Myrtle Ave for more service on the busiest part of the line but the problem with that is the track configuration and having to clean out the relays while blocking the main line. Thus the L's capacity is always limited by its terminals, not gap station throughput. Plus some of the inherent issues with CBTC that add to delays, particularly in flagging areas on the midnights (the last car of a CBTC train has to pass a green resume to resume normal speed where trains operating out of CBTC land can resume when the first car passes the green since the green indicates the train is clear of the work area).

If you're referring to CBTC, the limiting factor on trains per hour is terminal capacity, not throughput at a gap station.

So long as you have bumping blocks and trains required to enter slowly (for safety), new technology means diddly without reconfiguring the line to run multiple terminals. This is how the 7 is able to run as many trains as it is - it runs 3 1/2 terminals, and Times Square...and 34th when finished...both do not end in bumping blocks, allowing trains to enter those stations at higher speed.

The 3 1/2 terminals being Main St. and Times Sq. of course, but Willets is used as a terminal during rush hours, and the half being 111th if you count put ins coming out of the yard going in service there. That adds significantly to the capacity of the line, which you wouldn't have if you had a configuration like the L line where there are only 2 terminals. You could maybe turn some L's at Myrtle Ave for more service on the busiest part of the line but the problem with that is the track configuration and having to clean out the relays while blocking the main line. Thus the L's capacity is always limited by its terminals, not gap station throughput. Plus some of the inherent issues with CBTC that add to delays, particularly in flagging areas on the midnights (the last car of a CBTC train has to pass a green resume to resume normal speed where trains operating out of CBTC land can resume when the first car passes the green since the green indicates the train is clear of the work area).

couldn't you fix the problem on the L by adding another platform at Atlantic to terminate trains there?

And you want to know something? That's the way it should be.  I am finally eligible to move up into a senior project manager role that could pay 80-100k a year and for that there should be stringent requirements.  Some guy that takes a few tests and now makes 80 - 100k a year (usually thug types off of the street with little education) is pathetic.  I'm a white collar individual and it peeves me to no end to see this going on. It's the same thing as the people I see at Whole Foods making $15-20 dollars an hour.  For what?? I'm all for fair wages but low skilled jobs for folks with little to no education should not be overpaid.

My last year of college at a private university in Europe was about $20k alone.  Why should some duffus with a GED make as much as me?

It's not that low-skilled; you wouldn't be able to take some random college-educated barista and shove them behind the wheel of a train. So maybe your specific field gets that pay, because that's what the market is demanding for it; new tech salaries are 100K for people fresh out of college. That's on you for choosing to go into your field; you don't need to take out your salary dissatisfaction on other people trying to make a living.

Literally no other country has our ridiculous college degree requirements for jobs. It just so happens that in America, college education has somehow become less about higher education and more about a box you check on a resume. This has led to some really serious problems, particularly with student debt - Americans have $1.2 trillion in student debt, and this doesn't include money people pull out of their retirement savings, credit card debt, or any loans being taken out by parents. For-profit colleges are scamming people out of their money for degrees that are worth less than the paper they're printed out on. Even public college is not a solution anymore; it takes 17.5 hours of minimum wage work weekly to pay for state college, which is a big ask when you consider that people need money to eat, for housing, transportation, to buy books, etc., and that they need time to actually do their college coursework as well. But let's just make everyone go to college, because that's working out so well right now.

It's not that low-skilled; you wouldn't be able to take some random college-educated barista and shove them behind the wheel of a train. So maybe your specific field gets that pay, because that's what the market is demanding for it; new tech salaries are 100K for people fresh out of college. That's on you for choosing to go into your field; you don't need to take out your salary dissatisfaction on other people trying to make a living.

Literally no other country has our ridiculous college degree requirements for jobs. It just so happens that in America, college education has somehow become less about higher education and more about a box you check on a resume. This has led to some really serious problems, particularly with student debt - Americans have $1.2 trillion in student debt, and this doesn't include money people pull out of their retirement savings, credit card debt, or any loans being taken out by parents. For-profit colleges are scamming people out of their money for degrees that are worth less than the paper they're printed out on. Even public college is not a solution anymore; it takes 17.5 hours of minimum wage work weekly to pay for state college, which is a big ask when you consider that people need money to eat, for housing, transportation, to buy books, etc., and that they need time to actually do their college coursework as well. But let's just make everyone go to college, because that's working out so well right now.

Pretty sure that counts as a 12-9 if you do lol

And my fear is that as America as a whole becomes less educated we will have more and more people that lack common sense.  I've been teaching off and on since I was in college and I see first hand what is out there and it's disturbing.  That's exactly why I turned down a teaching position when I graduated and went into project management.  I'm well aware of how watered down a degree is these days but the standards overall are being dulled down and quite frankly it scares me.  We're becoming a work force overall that's quite incompetent.  Many employers can't find skilled workers.  Even the (MTA) has admitted that the newer workers coming in often times can't cut it.  That right there says a lot.  I hire and fire people myself and I can't tell you how many incompetent people I interview.  I had a middle aged woman walk into my office the other evening asking me if I was looking to hire professionals in our field. I HATE when people walk in without appointments but I thought I would be nice and give her a chance since she was already interrupting me, so I asked her for a CV.  She took the time to look us up but came to the office with NOTHING.  Who in the hell comes to an office like that? Once I heard that I quickly found a way to get rid of her and got her out of my office so that I could finish up the project I was working on.  On top of that she had the audacity to ask me for my business card which I refused to give and she went about her business and left.

There is a difference between "well educated" and well educated.

"Well educated" = has a degree. Degrees are becoming more worthless every day. It is now possible to graduate high school with very poor math skills and limited English. Such that you waste college credit that could be refined learning real world skills like financial literacy, or mechanical skills (which we completely lack), or scientific theory WITHOUT focusing so much on the math such that people who graduate college have a better understanding of physics than someone with a GED... Instead, college students must waste time and credits on utter nonsense like English proficiency and remedial math to fulfill asinine core requirements because of the awful caliber of student that is getting into colleges these days. And these are not at low level SUNYs and community colleges, this is at quality private colleges too.

Someone who is actually well educated is a jack of all trades who possesses a basic understanding of all fields, and has mastery of one. It's cool in this country to "dabble" in everything without getting really good at anything, lest you be labeled a geek nerd etc. and it's EFFING RETARDED. Mastery is an extremely important concept and this is what employers look for, which is why high skill positions are having such a hard time being filled. An investment bank doesn't just want to hire someone who majored in economics and likes making money, they want someone who jerks off to the thought of leveraging merger abitrage a few thousand times a year to bring in millions of dollars. Industrial Research & Development teams don't want someone who understands the basic concept of a circuit and materials fabrication, they want someone who lives breathes, eats, and sleeps a type of product THEY make.

Young people in this country have a serious culture crisis, and a lot of it comes from the shit awful pop culture we put in front of young people today. The goal is to get rich on sex appeal, limited talent, branding yourself through social media, and basically being famous and partying a lot. Except that doesn't really work. The failures that pop culture makes famous certainly don't help destroy that image. As a result, many young people don't really pick up the skills they will need to provide a living for themselves and instead waste entirely too much time online trying to make themselves look good.

Ironically, the only areas you find young people with this passion is in internet based startups, phone apps, technology, teaching (in spite of government's incessant need to make a teacher's job harder), and medicine. While these may resonate with this generation, other than teaching and medicine, there are a ton of far more useful skills that require critical thinking problem solvers who are deeply passionate about the subject material that are going unaddressed or being filled by foreigners on H1 visas.

More people going to college isn't the solution. The solution is forcing colleges to cut their bloat (college athletics are completely out of control, and I say that as a sports fan who believes every boy and girl should play sports through high school to develop teamwork and sportsmanship skills that benefit them in life).

The solution is actually LESS people going to college, and giving them a better education as a result, and focusing less on student services...such as luxurious dorms...and more on educational resources. That also comes with enforcing higher standards before accepting students. It also comes with raising the bar for high school students. The problem now is we can't discuss an issue like bad education without immediately bringing up a worst case scenario (read: lowest common denominator), whine about how life is unfair, and then reconfigure ALL the standards to help that one person out...disservicing millions of young people in the process who graduate high school too naive to protect themselves from financial ruin, too stupid to do anything about it, and too ill informed to know where to go for help. "But so and so came here as an immigrant when he was 16 and barely spoke any English! He should get a chance to go to college and pass since he learned English as a second language!!! Make it easier!!!"

Raising the bar for college will also force high schools to adapt with a preparatory curriculum. The problem is right now the colleges have no incentive to do this. More students = more tuition and more potential donors, even if they don't see that they're graduating students who will never have a spare penny to give back...

I've seen rocket scientists who graduated college who don't have the sense to open the second door of double doors to enter a restaurant, and I've seen people who were C students in high school and never went to college rewire circuits I don't understand. I've also seen college grads who were very eloquent thoughtful people, and high school dropouts who couldn't even be trusted to pour a beer out of a keg at a party. Point I'm trying to make is education =/= intelligence, and that disconnect is why it is so hard for employers to fill jobs based on credentials. They don't know if you're a moron or not based on your education level, only based on the first day you work for them. So until "trial and error" recruiting becomes a thing, we've got to do better as a country.

"Well educated" = has a degree. Degrees are becoming more worthless every day. It is now possible to graduate high school with very poor math skills and limited English. Such that you waste college credit that could be refined learning real world skills like financial literacy, or mechanical skills (which we completely lack), or scientific theory WITHOUT focusing so much on the math such that people who graduate college have a better understanding of physics than someone with a GED... Instead, college students must waste time and credits on utter nonsense like English proficiency and remedial math to fulfill asinine core requirements because of the awful caliber of student that is getting into colleges these days. And these are not at low level SUNYs and community colleges, this is at quality private colleges too.

Someone who is actually well educated is a jack of all trades who possesses a basic understanding of all fields, and has mastery of one. It's cool in this country to "dabble" in everything without getting really good at anything, lest you be labeled a geek nerd etc. and it's EFFING RETARDED. Mastery is an extremely important concept and this is what employers look for, which is why high skill positions are having such a hard time being filled. An investment bank doesn't just want to hire someone who majored in economics and likes making money, they want someone who jerks off to the thought of leveraging merger abitrage a few thousand times a year to bring in millions of dollars. Industrial Research & Development teams don't want someone who understands the basic concept of a circuit and materials fabrication, they want someone who lives breathes, eats, and sleeps a type of product THEY make.

Young people in this country have a serious culture crisis, and a lot of it comes from the shit awful pop culture we put in front of young people today. The goal is to get rich on sex appeal, limited talent, branding yourself through social media, and basically being famous and partying a lot. Except that doesn't really work. The failures that pop culture makes famous certainly don't help destroy that image. As a result, many young people don't really pick up the skills they will need to provide a living for themselves and instead waste entirely too much time online trying to make themselves look good.

Ironically, the only areas you find young people with this passion is in internet based startups, phone apps, technology, teaching (in spite of government's incessant need to make a teacher's job harder), and medicine. While these may resonate with this generation, other than teaching and medicine, there are a ton of far more useful skills that require critical thinking problem solvers who are deeply passionate about the subject material that are going unaddressed or being filled by foreigners on H1 visas.

More people going to college isn't the solution. The solution is forcing colleges to cut their bloat (college athletics are completely out of control, and I say that as a sports fan who believes every boy and girl should play sports through high school to develop teamwork and sportsmanship skills that benefit them in life).

The solution is actually LESS people going to college, and giving them a better education as a result, and focusing less on student services...such as luxurious dorms...and more on educational resources. That also comes with enforcing higher standards before accepting students. It also comes with raising the bar for high school students. The problem now is we can't discuss an issue like bad education without immediately bringing up a worst case scenario (read: lowest common denominator), whine about how life is unfair, and then reconfigure ALL the standards to help that one person out...disservicing millions of young people in the process who graduate high school too naive to protect themselves from financial ruin, too stupid to do anything about it, and too ill informed to know where to go for help. "But so and so came here as an immigrant when he was 16 and barely spoke any English! He should get a chance to go to college and pass since he learned English as a second language!!! Make it easier!!!"

Raising the bar for college will also force high schools to adapt with a preparatory curriculum. The problem is right now the colleges have no incentive to do this. More students = more tuition and more potential donors, even if they don't see that they're graduating students who will never have a spare penny to give back...

I've seen rocket scientists who graduated college who don't have the sense to open the second door of double doors to enter a restaurant, and I've seen people who were C students in high school and never went to college rewire circuits I don't understand. I've also seen college grads who were very eloquent thoughtful people, and high school dropouts who couldn't even be trusted to pour a beer out of a keg at a party. Point I'm trying to make is education =/= intelligence, and that disconnect is why it is so hard for employers to fill jobs based on credentials. They don't know if you're a moron or not based on your education level, only based on the first day you work for them. So until "trial and error" recruiting becomes a thing, we've got to do better as a country.

Amen!

Long winded but you hit the nail right in the coffin especially in terms of the current pop culture garbage thats out today.

Archived