Mayor vows to act against women wearing body paint in Times Square.

DaTransitMan4608

And people complain about this why?  People have these wonderful ads depicting burn victims and everything that COULD happen to you if you did a bad thing thrown in their faces everywhere, but God forbid that a woman shows off skin.  Do these soccer moms envy these women?  Is Pussy Riot throwing cinder blocks at their children?

Why doesn't the mayor combat actual issues, like Intelligence Zero curbing jack because people can't ****ing help but jaywalk across Queens Boulevard or trying to qualm police-community relations?

I have to admit, I was unaware of this law/rule either until a female friend of mine brought my attention to this. Man, I don't even know what to say on this, I mean you got boys fantasizing about their sexy 20-30 something year old teachers, this just adds more fuel to the fire. Let's not forget about the prospect of multiple sexual harassment suits. Plenty of eye candy to get a single, or even a married man for that matter, in trouble.

Being topless is legal in NYC anyways. I don't see the point in fighting over this.

And people complain about this why?  People have these wonderful ads depicting burn victims and everything that COULD happen to you if you did a bad thing thrown in their faces everywhere, but God forbid that a woman shows off skin.  Do these soccer moms envy these women?  Is Pussy Riot throwing cinder blocks at their children?

Why doesn't the mayor combat actual issues, like Intelligence Zero curbing jack because people can't ****ing help but jaywalk across Queens Boulevard or trying to qualm police-community relations?

I have to admit, I was unaware of this law/rule either until a female friend of mine brought my attention to this. Man, I don't even know what to say on this, I mean you got boys fantasizing about their sexy 20-30 something year old teachers, this just adds more fuel to the fire. Let's not forget about the prospect of multiple sexual harassment suits. Plenty of eye candy to get a single, or even a married man for that matter, in trouble.

In the long run this could hurt the tourist industry.  NYC has pushed for more and more tourists and so now we've become more and more depend on their money and apparently some tourists don't like the fact that their young children are actually being harassed by these nude women.  It's one thing to harass young adults, but another to do it to children and many people are complaining to the police about it.

Walking around nude is indeed legal, but panhandling is NOT legal in NYC, which is what these women are out here doing and they're harassing people that clearly are not interested.  Either way if it starts to hurt business the mayor will be forced to act on it, and I suspect that he will as more tourists complain.  

For the sake of the tourist industry, when other cities have had backlash from tourists such as Amsterdam in the Netherlands, they had to do something about the issue.  The Red Light issue became too big and families began to complain about the open drug use.  That was addressed and quickly.

My issue with this is how these women act and I've seen it myself. They go after people who's not interesting in speaking nor taking a picture with them and they actually will force them at times to take a picture and then charge them like $5 - $10 (Sometimes $20). I wouldn't banned it but I personally think there needs to be some regulations and rules for these topless women if they want to continue. As someone who does photography (Not talking about just transit fanning), you can't force someone to take a picture of someone or with someone if they don't want to

Really? You don't?

No, I don't see the problem. I find it very hypocritical for the news to complain about the nudity, and the put it on the front page of their papers or show the pictures for everyone to see.

My issue with this is how these women act and I've seen it myself. They go after people who's not interesting in speaking nor taking a picture with them and they actually will force them at times to take a picture and then charge them like $5 - $10 (Sometimes $20). I wouldn't banned it but I personally think there needs to be some regulations and rules for these topless women if they want to continue. As someone who does photography (Not talking about just transit fanning), you can't force someone to take a picture of someone or with someone if they don't want to

These women are trying to pretend as if they're just walking around naked and people are coming up to them and giving them money as a result.  That's not happening at all.  It's just another form of panhandling (aggressive panhandling at that).  Given the fact that they have pimps that they must give money to for doing this act, they will continue to be aggressive because if they don't they'll likely be beaten.

No, I don't see the problem. I find it very hypocritical for the news to complain about the nudity, and the put it on the front page of their papers or show the pictures for everyone to see.

I imagine that you don't have children.... Likely a kid or a teenager... How would like it if your child was walking with you and a naked woman painted all up started harassing your kid who isn't interested and tried to take pictures with them and then charged you for it? It's harassment and aggressive panhandling, both of which are illegal, not to mention indecent exposure with minors walking around.

These women are trying to pretend as if they're just walking around naked and people are coming up to them and giving them money as a result.  That's not happening at all.  It's just another form of panhandling (aggressive panhandling at that).  Given the fact that they have pimps that they must give money to for doing this act, they will continue to be aggressive because if they don't they'll likely be beaten.

I imagine that you don't have children.... Likely a kid or a teenager... How would like it if your child was walking with you and a naked woman painted all up started harassing your kid who isn't interested and tried to take pictures with them and then charged you for it? It's harassment and aggressive panhandling, both of which are illegal, not to mention indecent exposure with minors walking around.

I am an adult and I don't have kids of my own. If I was placed in a similar situation, I would ignore those women and mind own business, just like with every other aggressive panhandler in the city who tries to sell me stuff. I have better things to do with my life than complain to the mayor's office about some naked woman in body paint on Times Square.

Are we going to ban shirtless men now as well too? Might as well ban people at the beach for showing skin as well. You guys are really something else.

This city has MUCH worse topics to handle to be bullshitting about topless women at Times Square.

I am an adult and I don't have kids of my own. If I was placed in a similar situation, I would ignore those women and mind own business, just like with every other aggressive panhandler in the city who tries to sell me stuff. I have better things to do with my life than complain to the mayor's office about some naked woman in body paint on Times Square.

That's easier said than done, especially when you don't have any kids.  You are under the impression that these women don't actively pursue people.  I saw them on TV this morning.  They go right after people and practically corner them in some cases to take photos and then charge them. It isn't just tourists either... Regular New Yorkers have complained as well.

Are we going to ban shirtless men now as well too? Might as well ban people at the beach for showing skin as well. You guys are really something else.

This city has MUCH worse topics to handle to be bullshitting about topless women at Times Square.

The fact that these women are naked is a separate issue.  They are using a LEGAL act to commit an ILLEGAL act.  That's the problem here that everyone is missing.  They're doing the same crap that the rest of the panhandlers are doing in Times Square and then saying oh, but we're not doing anything.  We're allowed to be naked. If people want to take photos with us well that should be fine and that's true.  But that isn't happening here.  They know exactly what they're doing and they're using a loophole to allow them to aggressively panhandle and harass people that are NOT interested in anything that they are doing.

There's been a huge issue with clothed panhandlers dressing up in costumes doing the same crap and they were easier to deal with because the whole naked issue was a non-issue. 

I would agree with you but you also know that the tourist industry here in NYC is big business (billion+ dollars).  We can't afford to lose money from tourists for stupid things like this.

That's easier said than done, especially when you don't have any kids.  You are under the impression that these women don't actively pursue people.  I saw them on TV this morning.  They go right after people and practically corner them in some cases to take photos and then charge them. It isn't just tourists either... Regular New Yorkers have complained as well.

The fact that these women are naked is a separate issue.  They are using a LEGAL act to commit an ILLEGAL act.  That's the problem here that everyone is missing.  They're doing the same crap that the rest of the panhandlers are doing in Times Square and then saying oh, but we're not doing anything.  We're allowed to be naked. If people want to take photos with us well that should be fine and that's true.  But that isn't happening here.  They know exactly what they're doing and they're using a loophole to allow them to aggressively panhandle and harass people that are NOT interested in anything that they are doing.

There's nothing City Hall can do about this problem. These naked women will just take their business elsewhere in Manhattan if they're kicked out of Time Square.

There's nothing City Hall can do about this problem. These naked women will just take their business elsewhere in Manhattan if they're kicked out of Time Square.

They certainly will do something.  They have to because they can't afford to lose tourists.  It's become an industry here that provides wayyy too many jobs and brings in billions of dollars annually that the city depends on heavily.   Less revenue coming into NYC means less money for cops, transit, infrastructure and so on.  The only thing making this difficult is that these women are hiding behind the whole BS rule about them "performing".  They're just panhandlers shaking people down and doing so with the excuse that what they're doing is a form of art.

They certainly will do something. They have to because they can't afford to lose tourists. It's become an industry here that provides wayyy too many jobs and brings in billions of dollars annually that the city depends on heavily. Less revenue coming into NYC means less money for cops, transit, infrastructure and so on. The only thing making this difficult is that these women are hiding behind the whole BS rule about them "performing". They're just panhandlers shaking people down and doing so with the excuse that what they're doing is a form of art.

Just call it prostitution :)

Funny thing is and some of friends was just talking about this on the train earlier. There's a fuss over this, but yet there was an advertisement on the train (forgot what they were promoting) with a chunky hairy dude in his underwear laying down staring at you. And lets not forget about the Naked Cowboy. Are they not considered in the same category?

Its lime a double-edged sword here. I find no problem with them, I seen them countless times and I just walked right past them when they asked for a picture. I mean if its legal to be topless, then why bother? Gotta learn how to assert yourself with them characters always asking for pictures and money.

Only if a happy ending is involved ;)

Funny thing is and some of friends was just talking about this on the train earlier. There's a fuss over this, but yet there was an advertisement on the train (forgot what they were promoting) with a chunky hairy dude in his underwear laying down staring at you. And lets not forget about the Naked Cowboy. Are they not considered in the same category?

Its lime a double-edged sword here. I find no problem with them, I seen them countless times and I just walked right past them when they asked for a picture. I mean if its legal to be topless, then why bother? Gotta learn how to assert yourself with them characters always asking for pictures and money.

Only if a happy ending is involved ;)

I remember very well when Times Square was a seedy sh*t hole.  The city has invested TONS of money to clean the place up and make it safe and family friendly, which is the key thing here.  Even 8th Avenue has become less seedy and that's saying something.  Given the amount of money at stake, I don't see how the Mayor and the Governor don't figure something out.  They will certainly look for some sort of legislation to deal with this because it's basically a form of aggressive panhandling which is indeed illegal.  Cuomo spoke about this yesterday:

In an interview on NY1, the governor said the women were breaking the law and undermining the family-friendly allure of a neighborhood that government tax breaks had helped clean up.

“I believe this activity is illegal,” Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, said. “I believe it is infringing on legitimate businesses. I think it is infringing on the investment that the state and the city made in the 42nd Street area, and I think it has to be stopped.”

The governor’s remarks came a day after a fellow Democrat, Mayor Bill de Blasio, said the women were not creative artists, but pushy panhandlers whose efforts to coax cash from tourists should be regulated.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/20/nyregion/cuomo-joins-call-to-curb-nearly-nudes-in-times-sq.html?_r=0

now deblasio and bratton want to get rid of the pedestrian plaza in times square

I can live with that.  The people getting the most use out of them are the homeless and the panhandlers.  They are not being used as much as they're supposed to be used by actual New Yorkers and tourists.  The plaza across the street from the BxM2 bus stop at 6th and 35th has NOTHING but homeless people all over the place.  You couldn't sit there if you tried (not that I would with such squalor).  They all set up shop with their personal belongings and literally take over the entire plaza.  Disgusting.

I agree, why were they even built in the first place, while they are at it RIP THEM ALL OUT! 

Weren't the pedestrian plazas made to change the flow of traffic in Midtown or something? I forgot why they were there.

I agree, why were they even built in the first place, while they are at it RIP THEM ALL OUT! 

Weren't the pedestrian plazas made to change the flow of traffic in Midtown or something? I forgot why they were there.

In part for that but also supposedly to make NYC more pedestrian friendly.  I've sat in the ones by 23rd on a few occasions and it's a little nerve wrecking to try to read or eat grub and worry about cars potentially losing control and crashing into a plaza.  Not my cup of tea.  That was a few years ago when it was actually somewhat nice.  Now I rarely use them because anytime I consider it all I see are homeless people laying all about.  These plazas have essentially allowed for panhandling and the homeless to increase exponentially.

Archived