Why the Emphasis on Pedestrian Fatalities?

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2015/08/the-commute-why-the-emphasis-on-pedestrians-fatalities/

THE COMMUTE: A hallmark of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s term has been his emphasis on pedestrian safety, most notably the Vision Zero campaign. You all know where I stand on this issue. My position has been controversial. Whenever I discuss my opposition to some of the features of Vision Zero, those who disagree make the same argument: that the slower a vehicle travels, the less likely a pedestrian will be killed. That analysis is overly simplistic because other factors need to be considered, such as the need to get people to their destinations in a reasonable amount of time...

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2015/08/the-commute-why-the-emphasis-on-pedestrians-fatalities/

THE COMMUTE: A hallmark of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s term has been his emphasis on pedestrian safety, most notably the Vision Zero campaign. You all know where I stand on this issue. My position has been controversial. Whenever I discuss my opposition to some of the features of Vision Zero, those who disagree make the same argument: that the slower a vehicle travels, the less likely a pedestrian will be killed. That analysis is overly simplistic because other factors need to be considered, such as the need to get people to their destinations in a reasonable amount of time...

Oh please.  This is a PEDESTRIAN CITY!! It always has been and always will be.  

It has been proven the slower a vehicle is going you have a 80% more chance to live. The faster the vehicle travels your chances of dying increase by 90% for every 5mph over the limit. I think all major roadways should be restructured to 2 lanes max in both directions with one bike lane in each direction if the bike lane fits. Also bikes should stop at every red light and yeild to us people like a car has to do. 

Not in my day NYC was never a pedestrian city, and also why is it that there is never no punishment for those wreckless bikers?

I have yet to see a biker wait for a green light.

It has been proven the slower a vehicle is going you have a 80% more chance to live. The faster the vehicle travels your chances of dying increase by 90% for every 5mph over the limit. I think all major roadways should be restructured to 2 lanes max in both directions with one bike lane in each direction if the bike lane fits. Also bikes should stop at every red light and yeild to us people like a car has to do.

If you have nothing new to add there is no need to comment. I stated your point in the article. That is your only singular argument why car shoud move slower. Traveling at 12 mph to travel 12 miles to your destination is totally ridiculous and that is what a 25 mph speed limit is causing.

Local streets were designed to get you to arterials and highways. You were not meant to travel on them fr more than five or ten minutes. Going 12 mph on those streets is fine. But we have areas such as Brooklyn with very limited highways. We must have arterials. Lowering all arterial road speed limits to 25 mph as has been done effectively turns them into local streets and requires you to make your entire trip on a local street which is insane. You can't make major policy decisions based on a single statistic because that results in poor decisions.

If NYC was such a pedestrian city the avenues wouldn't be 5 lanes wide with parking on both sides.

THe sidewalks are used just like an avenue. You are a Long Islander not a New Yorker....

A pedestrian city where people would freely jay-walk against traffic against the light and expect the drivers to get penalized even though it was the PEDESTRIAN's fault.

Yes because it's a pedestrian city.  Many people freely jay-walk esp. in Manhattan.  Cars really have no business driving there outside of taxis and delivery folks, esp. during rush hours.

THe sidewalks are used just like an avenue. You are a Long Islander not a New Yorker....

Yes because it's a pedestrian city.  Many people freely jay-walk esp. in Manhattan.  Cars really have no business driving there outside of taxis and delivery folks, esp. during rush hours.

If you don't want anyone in a car in Manhattan, then you need to give them reasonable alternatives like a place where they can leave their car for the day outside of Manhattan for a reasonable price so they can complete their trip by mass transit. Instead the city is selling off municipal lots for development. The park and ride at Sheepshead Bay has only 20 spaces and is fully 7 AM at $8 a pop. There are no parking spaces near any express subway stop. Trains are crowded. Express buses cause traffic congestion too. Look at the popularity of Uber. Even if you don't drive, there is a need for cars in Manhattan. Congestion Pricing won't reduce cars but will just cause people to pay more and encourage businesses to leave. We have to do more for mass transit and provide more parking outside of Manhattan. The city pretends the only solution is SBS ignoring things like better bus routes, more reliable service, and better connections. If traffic were the only cause of bus bunching as the MTA would like us to believe, buses would not bunch after midnight. The MTA is not doing their job in that regard.

If you don't want anyone in a car in Manhattan, then you need to give them reasonable alternatives like a place where they can leave their car for the day outside of Manhattan for a reasonable price so they can complete their trip by mass transit. Instead the city is selling off municipal lots for development. The park and ride at Sheepshead Bay has only 20 spaces and is fully 7 AM at $8 a pop. There are no parking spaces near any express subway stop. Trains are crowded. Express buses cause traffic congestion too. Look at the popularity of Uber. Even if you don't drive, there is a need for cars in Manhattan. Congestion Pricing won't reduce cars but will just cause people to pay more and encourage businesses to leave. We have to do more for mass transit and provide more parking outside of Manhattan. The city pretends the only solution is SBS ignoring things like better bus routes, more reliable service, and better connections. If traffic were the only cause of bus bunching as the MTA would like us to believe, buses would not bunch after midnight. The MTA is not doing their job in that regard.

I'm fine with Uber.  You know exactly who I'm talking about... Prima donnas who have to drive into the city with their car... I am not a fan of the subway and support New Yorkers using taxis, express buses, ferries and whatever else is good for the environment.

now the miscreants at transitalt are turning against mayor Deblasio saying getting rid of the pedestrain plaza will destroy the quality of life.. man the quality of life was destroyed when they brought the plaza in it brought about panhandling and vagrancy!

https://www.facebook.com/TransportationAlternatives/posts/1081771361834036

The Pedestrians in this city are f--king idiots. 

Pedestrians only have the right-of-way if they are in a crosswalk, and/or have the light. 

If you cross in the middle of the street and get hit, it's your fault.
If you cross against the light, it's your fault.
If the little red hand is illuminated and you get hit, it's your fault. 

End of discussion. 

I also forgot to mention what's with this transitalt initative that  they are trying to say change the way of accidents by NOT saying accident and changing it to and treating it as a crash etc, and someone on the transitalt facebook said this point and was tossed from jury selection

Archived