How extensive are the background checks for NYC Transit?

NYCFan9553

21 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

And, if I was you, try to incorporate cinnamon into your diet, and be generous! As a result of donating blood earlier today, and being generous with the cinnamon the past couple of days, my B/P was 124/80!!

I purchased cinnamon today, I’m gonna have a healthy scoop of cinnamon with overnight oats ever morning instead of coffee in the morning.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:58 PM, dangernoodle said:

Not that I know of. Anything they're hiring for will be on the website. A lot of jobs have been taken down in light of the whole restructuring thing going on at the MTA.

Interview - February
Initial BC - April
Conditional Offer & Final BC - May
Hired - June

My job isn't safety sensitive, so there isn't a physical test, which expedited the process.

According to others that I work with, I was hired extremely quickly. Others took upwards of three years.

Me and another forum member interviewed in february and march of this year. No conditional offer as of yet. I suppose keep waiting it out? 

On 8/5/2019 at 11:01 AM, CrazyD said:

Me and another forum member interviewed in february and march of this year. No conditional offer as of yet. I suppose keep waiting it out? 

It’s all gonna depend on the position and the classes starting date. 

so far for me  it’s been:

Exam: Jan

Initial BC: Jan

Interview: Mar

Conditional Hiring & Background: June

Medical: Aug

Supposedly the class is in September/October. 

My friend who went for a similar position to mine was processed and hired within 3 months. 

Edited by NycHopeful718

3 hours ago, NycHopeful718 said:

It’s all gonna depend on the position and the classes starting date. 

so far for me  it’s been:

Exam: Jan

Initial BC: Jan

Interview: Mar

Conditional Hiring & Background: June

Medical: Aug

Supposedly the class is in September/October. 

My friend who went for a similar position to mine was processed and hired within 3 months. 

Yes, we weren't pursuing a trades job. It's a custodian job or non essential function which was part of the hiring freeze. My guess is we are waiting on retirements or something. I'm trying not to limit myself and keep applying for trades jobs I qualify for and other essential openings as well. I talked to a conductor who said don't rely on the one and just keep applying. I took his advice needless to say. 

On 8/4/2019 at 8:01 PM, +Young+ said:

And, if I was you, try to incorporate cinnamon into your diet, and be generous! As a result of donating blood earlier today, and being generous with the cinnamon the past couple of days, my B/P was 124/80!!

What’s up Young, thanks man I came in at 125/81 for my BP.

much appreciated tip on the cinnamon, I’m sure it helped.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/18/2019 at 1:23 AM, dangernoodle said:

I got hired for MNR but I assume it's mostly the same process.

The first background investigation they'll ask you to complete is employment/education. Put everything in as accurately as possible as they'll get your exact position title and work dates from your previous employer and they'll match it against what you reported. Most previous employers don't specify whether you were fired or not, reasons, etc. But still, be honest. I was honest and told them I was involuntarily terminated from my previous job (even though they didn't tell them or give any reasons), with the exact reasons, and still got hired. Being honest goes a long way with MTA, lying is a sure-fire way to end any possibility of landing a job with them.

Once you pass that stage, you'll wait a little longer until they're ready to hire more people for the position. At that stage, you'll be asked to complete ANOTHER background investigation, which checks on your criminal history. Again, be completely honest. I know a couple ex-convicts who work with me, so having a record isn't a dead-end. I had no history so it wasn't an issue, but I can't speak for others. All I can tell you is to be honest - it's a very thorough investigation and they will find out if you lied. Even if a record has been sealed or expunged, they will find out, and you need to report it.

Once that's done, all you have to wait for is your offer letter, and you'll officially be an employee for one of the biggest transit agencies in the world.

Good luck!

So I just went for interview for Long Island Railroad and went good hit me up like 2 days later for background check. Do they contact HR directly or the people you put down as a contact?