The last stop for alternate (6) trains, 3Av-138th

PMac18

Days, 10:30 AM to 3 PM, Wed to Fri, until Oct 2

This service change has been happening on the  (6) line for so long that I can't even tell you when it began. Maybe early Spring? And I recall it happening last Summer too, but not as often as this year. It's always TWO WEEKS of the change, ONE WEEK off. Non-stop.

It stopped for the last two weeks, now they are doing it EVERY WEEK for another month. They always put a "date range" or "until" date, but it's never actually the end of it. It seems there is no end in sight with this service change. It's frustrating when I'm out and about and trying to get back home, even when it's WELL AFTER 3:00PM, and I have to wait along with a ton of other people on a crowded platform for a actual train that will take me somewhere.

What I don't get is that I never see any construction happening that would require them running alternate trains terminating at 3Av-138th. I've tried reaching out to the MTA regarding this and why it's been a never ending service change. All I want to know is what construction is occurring that needs this service change happening for so long.

Just wondering if anybody has any information here about what's been going on?

They've been doing that particular G.O. for years on the (6) especially when the outer stations were being renovated. But for the most part from what I've seen is usually maintenance crews inspections on the tracks, structures or whatever else I don't see them do.

I honestly find that service change to be like a pimple thats keeps popping up.

There's a GO running on Wednesdays thru Fridays every week in September:

Brooklyn Bridge-bound trains run express from Pelham Bay Park to Hunts Point Av

You can't turn the local (6) trains at Parkchester, which leads to this:

The last stop for alternate trains headed toward Pelham Bay Park is 3 Av-138 St 

Now, something needs to serve the local stations in the Bronx, so that leads to:

<6> Brooklyn Bridge-bound trains run local from Hunts Point Av to 3 Av-138 St

and

<6> Pelham Bay Park-bound trains run local from 3 Av-138 St to Parkchester

When the trains run on time (hardly ever) this GO is.... tolerable, despite the 50% service cut in the Bronx. When they come into Manhattan from the Bronx out of sequence and/or late (two trains from Pelham then two trains from 3rd Av) then there's problems on top of problems, and that's in addition to the normal problems the (6) would have on a normal day.

It seems like half the Pelham trains from the Bronx end up doing skips from 125 to 96 or 86 when they cut the Bronx service.

I remember one year they did the cutback from March all the way to October when they were rehabbing Parkchester.

Thanks for the information everyone, interesting to hear it's been going on for some time now.

I was at 125th Street at like 3:15PM and the next (6) train was a 3Av-138th Street, followed by a Pelham Bay Park <6> EXPRESS, followed by a Parkchester bound (6) local that was still 10 minutes away.

Something told me to get on the 3Av-138th one, because it was clear this was the last one (when this is supposed to be done at 3:00PM), and they were beginning regular service again. Sure enough, the countdown clock that was orange with 3Av-138th, changed to Parkchester! I jumped on, the conductor said nothing, shut the doors and as we pull out of 125th, he says "This train is going to Parkchester."

I felt bad for people on the platform because it was so confusing, no information was communicated and the sign randomly changed so last minute that I don't think anyone noticed. He really could have just waited and said that in the station instead of making people wait 10 minutes for the next local (6). He initially said it was a 3Av-138th Street bound, and that it would be the last stop.

Amazing the way people will believe anything as long as a sign in the station says it, but when I used to change the rollsigns on my train, EVERYBODY would question it or flat out ignore it and then wonder why I'm trying to kick them off at 145 just like the sign said......

Archived