Gap filler problems at 14th St Union sq

Abba

The original station wasn't on the curve. When they extended the station, they had no choice but to extend it on the curves

Right.  This was part of the original subway, and when originally built trains were only five cars.  You also had local platforms at 14th Street (and also Brooklyn Bridge and on the west side of the original line, 96th Street) separate from the main platforms.

If people in the beginning had the foresight to see what would come just in the 20 years or so from when the original subway was built, they likely would have built the line a lot differently, and most likely with 10 cars.  They also likely for instance would have done it with Times Square and even possibly 50th Street and Columbus Circle on what is the (1) built as express stations (the original line went from what is today's Shuttle platform at Grand Central to 72nd and Broadway on the express without stopping).

The original station wasn't on the curve. When they extended the station, they had no choice but to extend it on the curves

I know that, but I wish that they didn't extend it along the curve. I am guessing that was due to private property issues. But I honestly think the gap fillers at 14th St is the reason why the downtown (4)(5)(6) suffers from delays. Especially during rush hours.

I know that, but I wish that they didn't extend it along the curve. I am guessing that was due to private property issues. But I honestly think the gap fillers at 14th St is the reason why the downtown (4)(5)(6) suffers from delays. Especially during rush hours.

Oh please. Stop exaggerating.  I've been using that stinking Union Sq. station for years.  Used to work in that area too by 18th and 5th so I'm quite familiar with it.  The gap fillers take a bit but usually not that long to cause any serious delays.  I do think that they should come up with a simplified solution though and re-do that station entirely and get rid of those filthy fans that blow out God knows what since it's pretty obvious they haven't been cleaned in ages.  I would probably close down some of the entrances there too, especially the ones where the bums congregate.  The worse one is the one by the Food Emporioum.  Smells like a mix of bleach and @ss.  Absolutely disgusting.

Oh please. Stop exaggerating.  I've been using that stinking Union Sq. station for years.  Used to work in that area too by 18th and 5th so I'm quite familiar with it.  The gap fillers take a bit but usually not that long to cause any serious delays.  I do think that they should come up with a simplified solution though and re-do that station entirely and get rid of those filthy fans that blow out God knows what since it's pretty obvious they haven't been cleaned in ages.  I would probably close down some of the entrances there too, especially the ones where the bums congregate.  The worse one is the one by the Food Emporioum.  Smells like a mix of bleach and @ss.  Absolutely disgusting.

I'm speaking from experience whenever I use the (4) or (5). You may not notice it, but if your coming from UES or The Bronx on the (4)(5) or even the (6) you will notice how slow it is going downtown during rush hours. It basically crawls from 59th to 14th. I blame the moving platforms, it takes a while to set it up. Aside from the crowds and the curves, the gap fillers slows down the Lex line in my opinion.

I'm speaking from experience whenever I use the (4) or (5). You may not notice it, but if your coming from UES or The Bronx on the (4)(5) or even the (6) you will notice how slow it is going downtown during rush hours. It basically crawls from 59th to 14th. I blame the moving platforms, it takes a while to set it up. Aside from the crowds and the curves, the gap fillers slows down the Lex line in my opinion.

During the rush or even before the rush, it's less of an issue.

It depends how often the trains run but I don't think it delays it much.I took at (4) tonight from

Grand Central (Packed wall to wall) and the next train had already left 14th.

Off-peak it does seem as if trains are held a little longer, and given how the (4)(5) can crawl off-peak, the perception could be that it takes forever given how slow the rest of the trip is.

The Lexington Ave line is always crawling. I was on my way to school it was around 10:50 and I got on a (6) and the announcement in the station said the next Local (6) to Pelham Park would arrive in 17 minutes. Like is that how the MTA runs things now because on a normal day it would arrive in at least 6 minutes. Buses are no better now, so I guess this a problem the MTA has with both its trains and buses.

During the rush or even before the rush, it's less of an issue.

For me it seems to be an issue during the rush. It crawls until 14th St and than after 14th it runs normally.

BronxBombers (if you're still reading this thread), there's more than just the gap fillers that delay (4)(5)(6) service.

I know that there is more than just the gap fillers, but I think that the gap fillers also contributes to the delays. Aside from ridership and the curves south of 42nd.

Archived