174th Street yard

lightkiller145

Its not an Outside yard, its inside the tunnels of the IND St Nicholas/8th Ave Lines, north of 168th Street, not so big as well i belivie, can hold 5 train sets i think...

Similar to the 137th Street Yard on the IRT Broadway line

glcqhcvujma10jqh69o5.jpg

the best way u can get a view if if u were a worker, but u would see nothingbig and exciting, jusrt a normal yard,

Its mainly used for the (C)

I think there was a MOD fan trip several years ago that went into that yard and relayed back. From what I was told, there is nothing back there its just like a regular tunnel. I guess its like the lay-up area on the (1) train. I know that there is a segment of the SAS up town where one of the track ways is supposed to be a lay-up and it has a pit area to fix B/O trains.

Originally the 175th Yard was a lead to the GWB's Lower Level but NY went bankrupt during the war and the (C) use it since as layup. It rests right below the Mid-Manhattan Expressway as the (A) runs lower under the GWB Bus Station.

GWB wat u mean mate? it was going to NJ, and wat war? WWII?

Originally the 175th Yard was a lead to the GWB's Lower Level but NY went bankrupt during the war and the (C) use it since as layup. It rests right below the Mid-Manhattan Expressway as the (A) runs lower under the GWB Bus Station.

Lead to the lower level how?

- A

That might explain why the GWB is sort of provisioned for a rail line, but for the upper level.....yes, I'm sort of implying that HBLR should be sent over the GWB once the line supposedly gets to Tenafly.....

Do it.

- A

Yes I know what that is m8, the bridge, near 181st, and its I95, but i mean the lower level, lead to NJ? so that line would of gone to NJ =S

The GWB and the IND was built around the same time (early 30s) and the Lower Level was provisioned for rail travel into NJ. The 175th Yard rest right on the south wall of I-95 (About 45 Feet Down). WWII messed it up tho.

I've been to 174th quite a few times. It can hold three full-length trains, has an abandoned tower and I've never seen a pit there. It's also like a graffiti museum with 20+ year old pieces. It's also one of the scariest places to lay up a train.

I've been to 174th quite a few times. It can hold three full-length trains, has an abandoned tower and I've never seen a pit there. It's also like a graffiti museum with 20+ year old pieces. It's also one of the scariest places to lay up a train.

have any shots m8?

• 3 months later...
The GWB and the IND was built around the same time (early 30s) and the Lower Level was provisioned for rail travel into NJ. The 175th Yard rest right on the south wall of I-95 (About 45 Feet Down). WWII messed it up tho.

And also, people began to favour cars over public transportation. So more money was invested into highways rather than public transportation. If the mindset of the 50's and 60's was different, perhaps we might ride the subway all the way into New Jersey.

And also, people began to favour cars over public transportation. So more money was invested into highways rather than public transportation. If the mindset of the 50's and 60's was different, perhaps we might ride the subway all the way into New Jersey.

If you ever read about the GWB (NOT THE WIKI PAGE) the GWB never had a lower deck but had provisions for one. The provision had IND style openings and was set for four tracks over the bridge. At the time, the plans called for the (C)© train to run in a underground terminal in Fort Lee and have the (A)(A) run a small branch to Parsipanny. The broad of director in New Jersey's DOT veto the plan due to the fact that they were going broke from supplying Fort Dix money for the World War II. All IND operation were rerouted uptown and 174th Street was converted to turn back.

Look at the picture there, the beams and tracks are set too much like a regular subway tunnel rather then one at a yard. Even the 137th Street yard doesn't look like that. The IND was going all over the place. There was brance to Staten Island and Long Island even a cross-Bronx line! U may know as ur presses (D) Train.

If you ever read about the GWB (NOT THE WIKI PAGE) the GWB never had a lower deck but had provisions for one. The provision had IND style openings and was set for four tracks over the bridge. At the time, the plans called for the (C)© train to run in a underground terminal in Fort Lee and have the (A)(A) run a small branch to Parsipanny. The broad of director in New Jersey's DOT veto the plan due to the fact that they were going broke from supplying Fort Dix money for the World War II. All IND operation were rerouted uptown and 174th Street was converted to turn back.

Look at the picture there, the beams and tracks are set too much like a regular subway tunnel rather then one at a yard. Even the 137th Street yard doesn't look like that. The IND was going all over the place. There was brance to Staten Island and Long Island even a cross-Bronx line! U may know as ur presses (D) Train.

Yes, there were provisions built for it. In short, the IND was a system of many provisions. There are provisions EVERYWHERE on the IND for other things. Many of these plans were to be visited through the IND Second System which was killed due to the Great Depression and later the Second World War. Rumours hold that there is a Third Plan, which perhaps involved the extensions into New Jersey.

But the thing is, IF, the politicians had championed public transit over the automobile, things would look a lot different, PERHAPS, these projects would have been built.

• 1 year later...
anybody know about layup track on the D on s/b side between 170st and 167st? and why was it built? it look like it can only hold one trainset and i never seen it used.

I think it was supposed to be a 4th track

Archived