174th Street yard

lightkiller145

Hey guy"s some are you are getting mixed up with the A line I am speaking about the D line and the lay up between 170 and 167 st s/b is only on track and if you look at it carefully you will see it dose"nt seem like it was built for a fourth track being that you can only access the lay up track by pulling into 167st s/b and reverse n/b into the layup towards bumper block at north end. Remember the concourse line only has 3 tracks and only the A line was considered for the trek over the GW to Jersey

Hey guy"s some are you are getting mixed up with the A line I am speaking about the D line and the lay up between 170 and 167 st s/b is only on track and if you look at it carefully you will see it dose"nt seem like it was built for a fourth track being that you can only access the lay up track by pulling into 167st s/b and reverse n/b into the layup towards bumper block at north end. Remember the concourse line only has 3 tracks and only the A line was considered for the trek over the GW to Jersey

It's for storage. One extra train can be stored there.

I know the Concourse has 3 tracks. But what I'm tryingf to say was that may have been a planned southbound local track

I know the Concourse has 3 tracks. But what I'm tryingf to say was that may have been a planned southbound local track

The entire Concourse line was originally supposed to be four tracks...why do you think the northbound platform at 145th Street is so wide?

the (D) concourse line in the bronx was originally supposed to be 4 tracks. the (:P would make all stops and the (D) express. the current southbound local track would have been the southbound express track but it got cut down to only 3 tracks...again dues to WW2.....you can see the real evidence at the 145th street station lower level...notice how the bronx bound platform is wider than the manhattan/brooklyn bound track, its covering up the unused bronx bound express track...lol its a long story

(A)(:o©(D)

The Concourse line was designed as one of the local feeders to the Eighth Av. Subway, with the Washington Heights line being the other. Admittedly, the express tracks there run to 168th, but the basic idea is the same. The third track under the Concourse allows for peak hour expresses on one of its routes, but there was never any plan to operate full time express service. Unlike the IRT, where the express goes up one branch and the local up the other, the IND provides express and local service on both branches. IMHO, that makes for poorer overall service.

The lower level platform at 145 Street was built with one extra wide platform to compensate for the missing fourth track. Also the IND Concourse Line runs closely parallel to the IRT Jerome Av El so there was not a pressing need for a four-track line.

The Concourse line was designed as one of the local feeders to the Eighth Av. Subway, with the Washington Heights line being the other. Admittedly, the express tracks there run to 168th, but the basic idea is the same. The third track under the Concourse allows for peak hour expresses on one of its routes, but there was never any plan to operate full time express service. Unlike the IRT, where the express goes up one branch and the local up the other, the IND provides express and local service on both branches. IMHO, that makes for poorer overall service.

The lower level platform at 145 Street was built with one extra wide platform to compensate for the missing fourth track. Also the IND Concourse Line runs closely parallel to the IRT Jerome Av El so there was not a pressing need for a four-track line.

But remember the IND was trying to put the (4) out of business. Also the Concourse Line is what I like to call "rushing into a job without reading the fine print." The subway was suppose to be a 4 track line from 145th Street Manhattan to Co-Op City. In this, the (4)(5)(6) would of been threaten of their services. The line (just like the Second Av. Line) was rushed and pretty much most of what was planned stood on paper.

I believe the plan were changed twice. It went from the 4 track super line, to 4 track to 167th and 3 track to co-op. Then, 3 track to the cutback Norwood station. Sadly, the Concoruse is only 1/4 of what it was suppose to be today ;)

Now, this a thread is about the 174th Street Yard. Not the Concourse Line. Stay on topic.

u are so wrong.....make sure your right next time before you post :)

:););)

But remember the IND was trying to put the (4) out of business. Also the Concourse Line is what I like to call "rushing into a job without reading the fine print." The subway was suppose to be a 4 track line from 145th Street Manhattan to Co-Op City. In this, the (4)(5)(6) would of been threaten of their services. The line (just like the Second Av. Line) was rushed and pretty much most of what was planned stood on paper.

I believe the plan were changed twice. It went from the 4 track super line, to 4 track to 167th and 3 track to co-op. Then, 3 track to the cutback Norwood station. Sadly, the Concoruse is only 1/4 of what it was suppose to be today :(

Now, this a thread is about the 174th Street Yard. Not the Concourse Line. Stay on topic.

i hear you but when concourse line was built co-op city did not exsist co-op city was built in later "60"s-early 70"s, was"nt concourse built in early to mid 1930"s. As i remember co-op city area was swamp area and undeveloped then. I did hear that later years there was a plan to extend concourse line from 205st to co-op but never done.Why would pick one short area to start a third track in middle of grand concourse instead of after 155st portal. It seems they would have made 161st a express stop because of yankee stadium,any new explanations?:)

I think he was talking about the use of your vs you're

Um, Okay.... :confused:

Yes, this thread is about the 174th Street Yard, but bussman7338 somehow changed the thread to the Layup track between 167th Street and 170th Street on the Concourse line.

anybody know about layup track on the D on s/b side between 170st and 167st? and why was it built? it look like it can only hold one trainset and i never seen it used.

Just like N-Trizzy2609 said, "This a thread is about the 174th Street Yard. Not the Concourse Line. Stay on topic." Geez...

As for the original post ,where exactly is this 174th st. yard?

The 174th Street Yard is a small 5-track yard north of the 168th Street Station on the (A) and (C) trains. It was originally the beginning of a spur to the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey .

The 5/22/2004 MOD Arnine fantrip relayed inside it. I'm sure (C) trains lay up there overnight.

Is it under broadway wadsworth or the triangle formed by the three?

I think the yard is located between Fort Washington Avenue and Broadway.

I think the bumper blocks are underneath the south side of West 178th Street.

Archived