Officials to restore express F train service to Coney Island

GojiMet86

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6th Ave express tracks don't have direct access to the Culver line, so any new 6th Ave express headed for the Culver line express tracks would have to switch to the 6th Ave local tracks before West 4th St. With both the (F) and the (M) already there, that's going to create plenty of delays.

If they want an express to Coney Island, it should run via the Sea Beach or Brighton lines, not Culver.

The 6th Ave express tracks don't have direct access to the Culver line, so any new 6th Ave express headed for the Culver line express tracks would have to switch to the 6th Ave local tracks before West 4th St. With both the (F) and the (M) already there, that's going to create plenty of delays.

If they want an express to Coney Island, it should run via the Sea Beach or Brighton lines, not Culver.

I think the idea was express in Brooklyn.  Nowhere I saw did that mean express in Manhattan (and that's only two stops anyway on the 6th Avenue Line).  

Anyway, as since noted if you're going to have such an express service to Coney Island, it would be better to use the Broadway and Brighton Lines for such express service by simply flipping the (B) and (Q) on the Brighton Line.  In this, the (B) would now be the full-time Brighton Local to Coney Island while the (Q) becomes the Broadway express to at least Brighton Beach at all times (though possibly also running local late nights)

Evenings and weekends would have both the (B) and (Q) go to Coney Island and if capacity allowed having the both the (B) and (Q) to Coney Island at all times, I would do that since the trains would not have to merge until Ocean Parkway. 

That would be the the easiest since as such the (Q) has stops at Times Square and Union Square (two major transfer points the (F) misses).  In addition, once the (Q) late next year begins running on the SAS, there is the added benefit of having such an express to Coney Island also stop on the upper east side,

This would have the side benefit of making the (B) a full-time 24/7 line that would mean TWO CPW locals at all times.

You could also in this if you decide not to have two Brighton trains in the overnights, cut the (Q) during those hours and have:

The (R) go back to being 24/7 and running to 71st-Continental at all times, eliminating the shuttle on that line

A truncated (W) overnights run between Whitehall and 96th Street-2nd Avenue

OR

Late nights have the (R) run its normal route to 57th-7th and then go via 63rd to 96th/2nd during those hours.

I think the idea was express in Brooklyn. Nowhere I saw did that mean express in Manhattan (and that's only two stops anyway on the 6th Avenue Line).

Anyway, as since noted if you're going to have such an express service to Coney Island, it would be better to use the Broadway and Brighton Lines for such express service by simply flipping the (B) and (Q) on the Brighton Line. In this, the (B) would now be the full-time Brighton Local to Coney Island while the (Q) becomes the Broadway express to at least Brighton Beach at all times (though possibly also running local late nights)

Evenings and weekends would have both the (B) and (Q) go to Coney Island and if capacity allowed having the both the (B) and (Q) to Coney Island at all times, I would do that since the trains would not have to merge until Ocean Parkway.

That would be the the easiest since as such the (Q) has stops at Times Square and Union Square (two major transfer points the (F) misses). In addition, once the (Q) late next year begins running on the SAS, there is the added benefit of having such an express to Coney Island also stop on the upper east side,

This would have the side benefit of making the (B) a full-time 24/7 line that would mean TWO CPW locals at all times.

You could also in this if you decide not to have two Brighton trains in the overnights, cut the (Q) during those hours and have:

The (R) go back to being 24/7 and running to 71st-Continental at all times, eliminating the shuttle on that line

A truncated (W) overnights run between Whitehall and 96th Street-2nd Avenue

OR

Late nights have the (R) run its normal route to 57th-7th and then go via 63rd to 96th/2nd during those hours.

The idea was indeed express in Brooklyn. Nothing was said about Manhattan because the councilman who was interviewed by News 12 obviously hadn't fleshed out his plan (and probably still hasn't). The point I was trying to make to Jcb is that his suggestion for a Culver express via the 6th Ave Express tracks would run into switching delays in Manhattan, because in order to get from the 6th Ave line to the Culver line, a train must be on the 6th Ave local tracks.

That said, I don't think it's necessary to do all that rearranging of the (B), (Q) and (R) trains just to accommodate a Coney Island express train.

The part about the (R) was optional and really only if the (Q) did not operate overnights.  

The (B) and (Q) would otherwise be a simple flip-flop on Brighton that would have a major effect as a 24/7 (B) would mean a second line on CPW at all times in addition to the desired weekend Coney Island express service (and if possible, have both lines run to Coney Island at all times).  Especially once the (Q) starts going to 96th/2nd late next year this would also mean there would be express service to Coney Island from the Upper East Side.   That would be the real reason for the flip, especially is both lines wind up 24/7.

The idea was indeed express in Brooklyn. Nothing was said about Manhattan because the councilman who was interviewed by News 12 obviously hadn't fleshed out his plan (and probably still hasn't). The point I was trying to make to Jcb is that his suggestion for a Culver express via the 6th Ave Express tracks would run into switching delays in Manhattan, because in order to get from the 6th Ave line to the Culver line, a train must be on the 6th Ave local tracks.

That said, I don't think it's necessary to do all that rearranging of the (B), (Q) and (R) trains just to accommodate a Coney Island express train.

I actually meant a local service. The crossovers outside of West 4th would probably slow all 6 Av services down.

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm not mistaken, in order for the (F) Train to have Culver Express Service in Brooklyn, the MTA would have to short turn all local train service at Kings Highway and let all the express trains serve Coney Island-Stillwell Av all weekday long. This weekend's GO has all the (F) Trains short turning at Kings Highway, probably due to some track switch improvements south of that stop (possibly to upgrade the existing track switch from the express track to the uptown local track, to a double crossover (X) track switch, with trains switching from either track to another track). Also, if you look at the two track maps, you'll see that there's a possibility of having two express trains on the (F) Line, but at a specific segment. Express train service in Brooklyn would have to run between Jay St-MetroTech and Church Av in both directions (with the option of renovating and reopening the lower level Bergen St stop being a possible addition to this topic), with only one express service running the whole segment between Jay St-MetroTech and Kings Highway (peak direction only), the other express service will run between Jay St-MetroTech and Church Av (with regular local stops after the latter stop to/from Coney Island). It will be just the thing that (F) Train riders in Brooklyn will have a pretty good reason to smile about.

Brooklyn 1: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/pm_southeast_1.png

Brooklyn 3: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/pm_southeast_3.png

If I'm not mistaken, in order for the (F) Train to have Culver Express Service in Brooklyn, the MTA would have to short turn all local train service at Kings Highway and let all the express trains serve Coney Island-Stillwell Av all weekday long. This weekend's GO has all the (F) Trains short turning at Kings Highway, probably due to some track switch improvements south of that stop (possibly to upgrade the existing track switch from the express track to the uptown local track, to a double crossover (X) track switch, with trains switching from either track to another track).

Or maybe it has more to do with Avenue X's platform bring repaired. As much as it makes sense for the MTA to reconfigure the switches to a more sensible layout, it's not work that will be done unless they actually plan to make use of it.

The switch move from 61 Street–Woodside to 74 Street–Broadway on the Flushing line is one example. That line sees a lot of construction work, and skipping 74 Street–Broadway for any work north of 61 Street–Woodside was a major inconvenience. The diamond switch allowing (7) trains to turn at Queensboro Plaza was also installed not too long ago.

Archived