Station Agent 6600 Hiring Process

nyjdmevo
Message added by Harry,

40px_exams_nyct.png.90c3b2bc7b2c11d53074daf6e1d457a0.png

Station Agent, Exam No. 6600

Application Deadline: July 21, 2015

List Status:  This list has been established as of

Pay: The current minimum salary is $19.4589 per hour for a 40-hour week increasing to $27.7984 in the sixth year of
service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (1600's) - For Medical: (1600's)

Next Training Class:

Resources:

Additional:

(Updated December 4, 2021)

16 hours ago, hmc12989 said:

All sworn in and ready to go for 4/9!

Yeah station agent AFC is on that payroll printout with your pass number & employee ID they gave me stapled to the sheet that tells you where to go on the first few days.

Hey Congrats!  I'm just confused as to why they would have an opening for the "AFC position" when they haven't even establish a list yet. Also doesn't this position require your to pass the civil service exam. or are they looking for applicants with just a resume? 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AFC was definitely on my paperwork yesterday, I think that's just the official title of Station Agent, and ya know...nobody wants to say I'm a Station Agent - AFC.

This is the post everyone keeps talking about: https://hcm.mymta.info/psc/HCPRD/SELFSERVICE/HXMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=92557&PostingSeq=1

It's not an off the street job, you have to already have been a station agent. A lot of jobs, including Conductors and Train Operators have desk jobs you can transfer into if you want to. By reading the posting you can see why it would be appealing to someone...especially if they're working the extra list and being bounced around...the hours are a lot more stable.

Edited by hmc12989

18 minutes ago, N1CKR said:

I take it that you don't know then. 

Did u read the link? It explains it for the most part. U must already be a mta permanent employee in order to file. And as a mta employee pick room wouldnt need explaining. Its also a resume job. They decide if they want u based off education, attendance, experience etc. 

Edited by Mspunkybrewster

Any of you that have already started...since my experience with starting class and uniform ordering, etc is 2nd hand info from RTO titles:

Do they issue you shoes with the uniform? Trying to gauge how much to spend on the shoes they tell you to have for the first day...if they don't issue shoes then obviously I'd buy good shoes right off the bat. I know a lot of RTO people hate the TA issued safety shoes and get their own and have them inspected, so I guess the next question would be if they *do* in fact issue shoes are they actually comfortable?

5 hours ago, hmc12989 said:

Any of you that have already started...since my experience with starting class and uniform ordering, etc is 2nd hand info from RTO titles:

Do they issue you shoes with the uniform? Trying to gauge how much to spend on the shoes they tell you to have for the first day...if they don't issue shoes then obviously I'd buy good shoes right off the bat. I know a lot of RTO people hate the TA issued safety shoes and get their own and have them inspected, so I guess the next question would be if they *do* in fact issue shoes are they actually comfortable?

Station Agents are not issued shoes.  Have to buy them on your own.

No Sneakers, no sandals, no open toe shoes.  They should be SLIP RESISTANT and of a dark color such as black or brown.  I would recommend spending some good money on shoes, as going cheap would really affect how you may perform in certain jobs required of Station Agents.

Some people buy those orthopedic shoes that diabetics wear that cost a buck.  I would start off with skechers work shoes, especially if they have a sale going on.

Speaking of uniforms, I would also recommend getting a size that allows you to wear thermals and/or moisture wicking performance clothes underneath.  It will be three long years before your next allowance.  This includes your trooper hat as well.

Thank you, that was exactly the information I was looking for. I will likely go the Skechers route since the other half likes his safety shoes they make - plus every other pair of shoes I've bought of theirs has been comfortable lol

Edited by hmc12989

28 minutes ago, hmc12989 said:

Thank you, that was exactly the information I was looking for. I will likely go the Skechers route since the other half likes his safety shoes they make - plus every other pair of shoes I've bought of theirs has been comfortable lol

I am in the March 12th training class. Do not get Skechers work shoes. A trainee was pulled to the side because the Skechers work shoe looks like a sneaker and not a work shoe. She was almost sent home and written up. Also, a supervisor stated that a wayfinder in the future will get shoes from Transit, but not now. Boots or shoes with a rubber, slip resistant sole. Black, dark brown, or dark navy shoes.

19 minutes ago, hmc12989 said:

They do have ones that look like actual work shoes too...you just have to sift thru the ones that just look like all black versions of their sneakers...

https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style/76503/work-caviar-ii-sr

True, the link is an acceptable shoe. What I was saying is DON'T choose the ones that look like sneakers. Those were the ones that got her into trouble. Congrats on being a new hire. I have to leave for training. Bye!

Save your receipts, anything you purchase for uniform purposes may be eligible for tax deductions.  I strongly recommend spending the money neccessary to be as confortable as possible, after 1 year every job down here takes its pound of flesh.

Thank you both - I ended up going with the ones I linked for the time being (25% off at Shoes.com plus free shipping woohoo...lol). Might get some different ones so I can feel like I'm switching it up while wearing the same thing every day, but that can obviously wait til I get situated in the title.

• 2 weeks later...

Join the club...been in one industry since I was 17...I'm now 29...excited and nervous don't even begin to cover it...especially since today I walked out that door for the last time both figuratively and literally.

And you have more of a lag between swearing in and starting than I did (which I don't envy...I'd drive myself nuts lol) ...try to relax, and May 14th will be here before ya know it 😁

4 minutes ago, hmc12989 said:

Join the club...been in one industry since I was 17...I'm now 29...excited and nervous don't even begin to cover it...especially since today I walked out that door for the last time both figuratively and literally.

And you have more of a lag between swearing in and starting than I did (which I don't envy...I'd drive myself nuts lol) ...try to relax, and May 14th will be here before ya know it 😁

I'm 28 and was getting nervous about where my life was going a bit, I'm in school but next semester my financial aid was done and I was dreading working a lame part time and going to school part time....And i got the email Tuesday and I'm so grateful. I'm definitely going to enjoy the relaxation because I'm there from 7am to 3pm lol congratulations to you too, I hope its been going well lol no stress