Station Agent 6600 Hiring Process

nyjdmevo
Message added by Harry,

40px_exams_nyct.png.90c3b2bc7b2c11d53074daf6e1d457a0.png

Station Agent, Exam No. 6600

Application Deadline: July 21, 2015

List Status:  This list has been established as of

Pay: The current minimum salary is $19.4589 per hour for a 40-hour week increasing to $27.7984 in the sixth year of
service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (1600's) - For Medical: (1600's)

Next Training Class:

Resources:

Additional:

(Updated December 4, 2021)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/31/2018 at 2:21 PM, AMITCHELL said:

Can anyone who recently finished training give us any advise or incite about the training and on the job experience so far.

I have a little over a year now on the job. I'll repost some information that I've stated before that may be helpful. 

As far as training:

Just make sure you arrive on time and in proper attire. They will cover mostly everything you need to know.

Training is 5 weeks 

7am to 3pm

1 hour lunch break

Saturday and sundays off

A little about the job:

Good pay and amazing benefits. When you are new you start out as an extra.(you basically fill in where they need coverage. if someone calls out sick, uses a OTO or AVA day, etc.)  Being extra you get to work different stations. The good thing about this is that when it comes time for your pick you will already have a feel of which stations you like or don't like. Busy stations can be stressful when your first starting out. I found the AM tour to be the busiest compared to PM and nights. Some busy stations have a non-stop flow of customers. This is where you will learn discipline and how keep your money in order. Being extra Your also not always stuck in a booth. At times you will be doing customer service jobs (work as assigned), basically outside of the booth wearing your transit safety vest answering questions and giving directions.  

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. I will answer to the best of my ability.

Edited by loulou
Update

1 minute ago, AMITCHELL said:

how do you like the job so far?

I took over the booth with supervision today and yesterday and it's not horrible but don't forget we are still new and haven't hit the plateau of troublesome customers and stress just yet lol I've come across one or two situations that were annoying so far, but as of Friday of this week I'm in the booth alone and my training is done. Just listen to the advice that's given to you by the supervisors and also the trainers during your training and make sure your money is right at the end of your tour. Also, don't let the customers get to you because they will....and oh...they will....

1 hour ago, Kur0n3k0 said:

I took over the booth with supervision today and yesterday and it's not horrible but don't forget we are still new and haven't hit the plateau of troublesome customers and stress just yet lol I've come across one or two situations that were annoying so far, but as of Friday of this week I'm in the booth alone and my training is done. Just listen to the advice that's given to you by the supervisors and also the trainers during your training and make sure your money is right at the end of your tour. Also, don't let the customers get to you because they will....and oh...they will....

what shift did you choose?

Did they have many midnight shifts?

All training is days. As for the in house pick it depends what OSAC gives the instructor.

My whole class got Wed & Thurs RDOs but the amount of slots per tour was fairly even.

Our instructor did say he has had classes where everyone was the same RDOs and tour so there wasn't much to pick.

I was first to pick in my class and got PMs which is what I wanted.

Edited by hmc12989

4 hours ago, hmc12989 said:

All training is days. As for the in house pick it depends what OSAC gives the instructor.

My whole class got Wed & Thurs RDOs but the amount of slots per tour was fairly even.

Our instructor did say he has had classes where everyone was the same RDOs and tour so there wasn't much to pick.

I was first to pick in my class and got PMs which is what I wanted.

what are the times for the shifts

AM
PM
MIDNIGHT

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 12:43 PM, Mtahopeful121986 said:

So I saw a posting. That station agent exam will be open for filing in the month of October 2018. With that being said how can they open up a new exam and we haven’t even received scores or list numbers for the 2015 exam? Mta is really ridiculous 

It is ridiculous. I guess they’re anticipating the need for a lot of people. I can’t really think of any logical reasoning for that. Been waiting 3 years for results. I don’t understand what’s the hold up. 

Hi everyone I’m new here. I just want to start off by saying I appreciate this site and all the information;  especially because I just recently visited the MTA website and saw they released the rest of the expected test for the remainder of the year. I’m really interested in the Station Agent position and plan to hopefully take the exam when it opens. I’m reading the experience qualifications and I think I may not qualify. I’ve been a cashier and a supervisor for a fast food restaurant, I also worked in a CUNY College for a year. Now I’m employed at a hospital (non HHC). To current S/As what was your employment background before this position? And also do you guys think my experience is enough. All feedback is welcomed.

8 minutes ago, ChocolatDream said:

Hi everyone I’m new here. I just want to start off by saying I appreciate this site and all the information;  especially because I just recently visited the MTA website and saw they released the rest of the expected test for the remainder of the year. I’m really interested in the Station Agent position and plan to hopefully take the exam when it opens. I’m reading the experience qualifications and I think I may not qualify. I’ve been a cashier and a supervisor for a fast food restaurant, I also worked in a CUNY College for a year. Now I’m employed at a hospital (non HHC). To current S/As what was your employment background before this position? And also do you guys think my experience is enough. All feedback is welcomed.

Hi there and I wish you luck, I've been working as a S/A for about 3 weeks so far and it's a learning experience but it also has a lot of fun moments. I worked with children as a group leader and also as a tour guide at a museum that is now closed. I never had cash handling experience but I've learned while working in the booth and during training and now I'm not afraid of it anymore, I just take my time as I go into it. I honestly feel that retail experience and cash handling should be enough for you to get hired. They will ask for your entire life history going in but honestly working with people hands on and with money is a good and primary skill being a s/a, so I think you should be ok. Just take the exam because you won't regret at least getting your name on that list.