Station Agent 6600 Hiring Process

nyjdmevo
Message added by Harry,

40px_exams_nyct.png.90c3b2bc7b2c11d53074daf6e1d457a0.png

Station Agent, Exam No. 6600

Application Deadline: July 21, 2015

List Status:  This list has been established as of

Pay: The current minimum salary is $19.4589 per hour for a 40-hour week increasing to $27.7984 in the sixth year of
service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (1600's) - For Medical: (1600's)

Next Training Class:

Resources:

Additional:

(Updated December 4, 2021)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, brokecrazy said:

Also, would anyone like to share the good and bad experiences you have had while doing the job ?

In a nutshell:

The good outweighs the bad overall. There's the general good and bad supervision and coworkers you have at any job.

Depending on where you work the amount of begging for rides, fare evasion and entitled attitudes of passengers gets irritating quickly. People can, will, and do cuss you out for things out of your control. People will threaten to bang you in for dumb things. 2nd booth ever - about my 6th day on the road some lady got super belligerent when she handed me a voided metrocard that she couldn't refill and demanded to know the when/where/how/why it was voided...which is impossible to tell.

"I'm going to report you..." - I told her "You're perfectly entitled to do that, write down that badge number and call 511" and she made a super dramatic show of taking a picture of it and writing it down. Nothing ever came of it.

Ironically now I get that station on a fairly regular basis since the PM job is vacant...and now I have some regulars. There's a little old guy who comes and talks to me every day and asks how I like it and stuff. I like getting to know some of the customers like that. You also will get people who profusely thank you for helping them with something seemingly simple. I will say I get more of that outside of the booth during GO's and doing customer service than I do in the booth. The one time they gave me Rockefeller Center (which isn't as sales busy as you would think - just a LOT of tourists and touristy questions) a native complemented me after she stood in line while I helped a super confused tourist couple... "You are the nicest and most patient MTA worker I've ever seen! Don't ever change!" - you learn to sock those moments away for when the obnoxious passengers grate on your nerves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • My Station Agent friend told  me that next July, they will totally change all the hours of all the booths and eliminate the PM and Night tours at most booths.
  • Will someone  call the union to see if what he says is correct.  I don't see them doing this without public hearings happening.  He says booths will close at 4 or 6 pm.

Ever hear the old adage about the railroad: "Believe half of what you see and even less of what you hear"

You can't make all booths part time - that's just stupid...not to mention transit is obligated to pay OT after 8 hours a day...there are very few jobs with more than 8 hours. You can't run a booth between the hours of 10am and 6pm and that's it...and do you REALLY think they're gonna magically start paying a ton of people OT? 

Edited by hmc12989

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:52 PM, hmc12989 said:

Ever hear the old adage about the railroad: "Believe half of what you see and even less of what you hear"

You can't make all booths part time - that's just stupid...not to mention transit is obligated to pay OT after 8 hours a day...there are very few jobs with more than 8 hours. You can't run a booth between the hours of 10am and 6pm and that's it...and do you REALLY think they're gonna magically start paying a ton of people OT? 

He clarified that the booths would be open for the AM and PM tours and close for the night tour.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

What should I do. I filled out a appeal form and sent it back. A few months ago and I call today to check my list number and it is saying that i am not on the list

Call MTA and find out the status of your appeal. From my understanding it will take several months for them to even get to the appeals. If you did not qualify you would not be on the list anyway. Only those who qualify would make the official list.

Not 100% sure how it works since they hired in no logical order provisionally. My list # is double digits and there are people who have been down here for 10 months longer than me with a list # of 1400-something.

I know we are being made permanent in list order...I'm not sure how they plan on dealing with those who never got called provisionally to begin with.

Finally got my like number 17** hopefully it comes through. I was completely bummed about the previous conductor exam closing while in the process... do station agents do any other duties besides the booth? Anyone know anything about the provisional list?