Station Agent 6600 Hiring Process

nyjdmevo
Message added by Harry,

40px_exams_nyct.png.90c3b2bc7b2c11d53074daf6e1d457a0.png

Station Agent, Exam No. 6600

Application Deadline: July 21, 2015

List Status:  This list has been established as of

Pay: The current minimum salary is $19.4589 per hour for a 40-hour week increasing to $27.7984 in the sixth year of
service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (1600's) - For Medical: (1600's)

Next Training Class:

Resources:

Additional:

(Updated December 4, 2021)

1 hour ago, Tortilla said:

Supervisors / Current employees,

Do we report to one location to punch in everyday & then receive our assigned work station or is that handled at the booth we're assigned to? 

The letter states that we will be required to work any & all shifts in any & all booths* 

Is that scheduled 1 week in advance / never changes or could it change on an daily basis to accommodate station needs?

Gonna be commuting in from eastern long island & am curious so I can plan on when I need to start driving or what time i need to catch the LIRR to get where I need to be on time.

Thanks,

#17**

*Not verbatim

First and foremost congrats on being hired. Now to answer your questions. While you’re in class I’d suggest you drive being as much class time takes place at the Learning Center(Formerly PS 248), at 25th Avenue in Brooklyn. Since you live in Long Island this would be a mission for you to get to on the train everyday. You’ve finished class then I’d suggest you take the system. Because if you’re late they aren’t going to want to hear you had car trouble or there was traffic. As per the rule book you’re to travel to work using the system. They give us a pass to use for travel on the system. Since you live in Long Island you’ll get your pass with Long Island commuter railroad privileges. 

now as far as scheduling you’re going to be what call as an extra, and yes it’s exactly what it sounds like, you’re an extra body to be used as the system sees fit. Each day depending on your tour of duty you’ll call OSAC(Operation Support Assignment Center) at a designated time frame and a supervisor on The desk will give you your assignment for the following day. On your RDOs(Regular Days Off) <As you can see there’s lots or jargon and acronyms for you to learn while working for transit>You’ll call for your assignment the day before you’re scheduled to return to work. Now normally when you’re assigned as an extra out of class they’ll assign you to what we call a zone depending on your home subway station(the closest subway station to your home address, or whatever station you choose as your home station) and you’ll be assigned a job within that area. But sometimes they will send you wherever they need you, especially if you get bumped out of that job. As an extra you’re usually filling in for an agent that’s sick or has an approved leave day. If covering for a sick agent and they return back to work, you’ll be bumped to wherever they need you to work in the system. Now you’ll work in this capacity u til you’re able to pick a steady job during the station agents job pick, which is every 6 months. There’s much more info for you to learn, but too much for me to type here. I hope this has answered all your questions. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to private message me. Have a great day. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Thediz1 said:

If anyone knows where are the classes held? How many hours per day are the classes? What time do they start? Thanks in advance.

Classes are primarily held at the Transit Learning Center (A former public school) in the Coney Island area of Brooklyn. Classes are a normal work days le gut of 8 hours. Classes start at either 7am or 8am. Depending on when your instructors Yelp you to report to class. 

44 minutes ago, Thediz1 said:

Is there a way to prepare or study for these classes?

There’s no need to study for anything in advance, as the rule book won’t have much relevant for you to study from for class. Everything or well most of the materials you need will be taught to you when classes start. The material isn’t very difficult so I wouldn’t stress it too much. They’ll go over how to fill out the paperwork, which really isn’t much any more. When I started there was far much more paperwork to learn and much more revenue fare types in the booth. Now agents only deal with cash, and hardly have any paperwork. They’ll show you how to encode metro cards, and teach you the rules and regulations. 

Just called and they are up to 1388 for final processing. They are still filling the Feb 17th class. She said they definitely anticipate more classes but she doesn't want to say because sometimes they can cancel it and she doesn't want people to be upset. Saying but Ms. Watson said blah blah blah. So trust they have more classes coming. 

23 minutes ago, EgyptianEyez said:

Just called and they are up to 1388 for final processing. They are still filling the Feb 17th class. She said they definitely anticipate more classes but she doesn't want to say because sometimes they can cancel it and she doesn't want people to be upset. Saying but Ms. Watson said blah blah blah. So trust they have more classes coming. 

That is fantastic News! 

Does anyone know if I’m supposed to wear work pants (dickies), or dress pants to orientation? And for shoes, are the boots acceptable? Or do I have to wear dress shoes? My father got me the boots ahead of time. As for shoes, blue dress shirt with no markings seems self explanatory.