Station Agent 6600 Hiring Process

nyjdmevo
Message added by Harry,

40px_exams_nyct.png.90c3b2bc7b2c11d53074daf6e1d457a0.png

Station Agent, Exam No. 6600

Application Deadline: July 21, 2015

List Status:  This list has been established as of

Pay: The current minimum salary is $19.4589 per hour for a 40-hour week increasing to $27.7984 in the sixth year of
service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (1600's) - For Medical: (1600's)

Next Training Class:

Resources:

Additional:

(Updated December 4, 2021)

Just a quick update for you guys. I went in for my medical and paperwork in the beginning of January. I was gettimg a little worried because i knew my medical was about to expire. Got a email yesterday congratulating me for passing the first phase of the hiring process and telling me to come in for final processing today. I arrived at 9:00AM. I gave in my 21 page packet and filled out some more paperwork. The paperwork includes a authorization for fingerprints. Direct deposit info, I-9 and tax withholding forms.

There was no interview, after my name was called I spoke with a HR rep who went over and stamped all of my paperwork. He Told me orientation starts on 4/17 and asked if i was able to make it. I then proceeded to take a photo for my work ID and went into another room for fingerprinting. I was also given a few books, 1 of which i have to to carry with me throughout the training.

I was given the same info as everyone else. The position is provisional and we will turn permanent once the official list numbers are created.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Started my orientation today. I would say about 130 people in total from various positions. Only about 14 or so station agents. In my group there were both permanent and provisional station agents. Permanent hires were from the previous SA exam list. I was told again that as soon as the list is established for the 6600 exam we would be switched over to permanent. All time worked will be rolled over and counted towards our probationary period.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! My name is Stephanie. I'm new to this forum and been catch up you guys posts in order to have a better understanding the process and the S/A job. So I went in for pre-employment process yesterday. Filled out some forms and did the drug test. After the urine test, the lab lady sent me back to the pre employment counter and tell me to showed the preemployment staff that I've completed the drug test. Then the pre-employment lady told me I'll receive an email with 3 days or to 3 months. I want to know how long usually it take for them to call me in for the next step? And what's the next step? Also I have been seeing MTA workers standing by stations entrances/exits with a tablet on their hands. Are they "new station agents"??? Or they still calling people to fill in S/A jobs? Does anyone know when is next Group of S/A school going to start? I hope you guys can answer and respond to my post. Much appreciated . Thank you!

@Stephanie. I'm currently in my 4th week of training so I will answer your questions to the best of my ability.

You can hear back anywhere from 1 week to 3 months. For Me personally it took 2.5 months to get the email telling me to come

in for the second phase.

The next step is the second/final phase. You fill out more paperwork. you also have to bring in your completed 20 page packet along with any Id's or documents they tell you to bring.

There is no interview. One of the HR reps just goes over all of your paperwork and stamps it. They tell you when the next class is and ask if you will be available to make it. They then take your fingerprints, and take your photo for your employee pass.

Not sure about the new station agent thing u mentioned. Only tablet I seen was in the booth while doing my booth observations.

They are still hiring station agents. A new class of 10 actually started this past Monday.

I'm not sure when the next class will be or how often they start classes.

@lou lou. Thank you for your reponse and congratulations to you and your classmates as you guys almost graduate. I wish you guys success in the job and look forward to meet you all. As for me, I hope they will email me soon. I really want to get into this position as soon as possible. Also, from the date of your final phase, how many days/week you got before you started school? I'm worry as I need to resign the job I currently have and hoping I can give them proper 2 weeks notice. Also, do you know what is your final exam about ? Is it multiple choices test or written test? How's the class schedule ? Any reply will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

@Stephanie. Thank you

The only thing I didn't like about when I got my email was that they sent me less than 24 hour notice. I literally got my email on a Monday while on my lunch break of my last job. It stated if still interested to show up at Livingston st the very next morning for final processing.

As far as time before I started school. It was exactly 2 weeks. Guess I got lucky on that part. I read in this forum that someone else only had 2 days before starting class. In your email it states "do not resign from your current employer before you receive your start date"

I had a 3 part AFC Test today. 30 multiple choice questions. Metro card transactions and a manual fare report.

The final exam is next week. 50 multiple choice questions covering everything we learned from the start of class.

The class schedule is 5 weeks Mon-Fri with Sat and Sun off.

I gave my employer 3 hours notice. It wasn't an easy thing to do as my coworkers became an extended second family.

If I had to do it over again, I would have pre-drafted some resignation letters rather than coming in on my supposed day off to write over a dozen individualized ones.

@lou lou. Good luck to your final exams!

The school schedule sounded very intense.

You mentioned booth observation, what you need to do? And what difficulties you faced? How many days the school sent you for booth observation? What do you do when you need to use bathroom during your shift? How long is the lunch break? Did you have down time when you did booth observation? If you've down time, what do you do? Also, are you able to pick what booth and shift you going to work at? if you don't mind, which borough you live and what station you prefer?

@Dave I totally understand what you mean by "my coworker became an extended second family". I can't believe you had to gave 3 hours notice and that was it. I bet you feel so bad by doing that but you have no choice. So what station you working at now? And how you like it so far? How long you worked so far?

The best part of the job is meeting people. Ironically it's also the worst part of the job. So far I have been fortunate in all aspects of the position.

I'm what is called extra and that means they find a random spot where coverage is needed, so for me there is no regular booth.

The job is a lot of fun, because we get the opportunity to explore the city before and after the tour times. It's also a learning process, and over time navigation by transit becomes second nature.

That being said, some neighborhoods will test you in various ways, just stick to your training and learn from experience.

@lou lou. Good luck to your final exams!

The school schedule sounded very intense.

You mentioned booth observation, what you need to do? And what difficulties you faced? How many days the school sent you for booth observation? What do you do when you need to use bathroom during your shift? How long is the lunch break? Did you have down time when you did booth observation? If you've down time, what do you do? Also, are you able to pick what booth and shift you going to work at? if you don't mind, which borough you live and what station you prefer?

Hello Stephanie I'll answers all your questions. I'm a Station Supervisor, and was a Station Agent for 9 plus years. The booth observation is just that, you observe a seasoned agent perform his or her duties. When I was in training my, training agent allowed me to perform some transactions. Booth observation is only one day. Then later in class you do two booth take overs, where you're in charge of the booth and responsible for all the property and money. You'll once again be paired with a seasoned agent whom will watch over you those two days.

Difficulties with the job are hard to explain since everyday and locations varies so much. Also dealing with people is unpredictable.

Going to the restroom is called taking a comfort. When you need to take a comfort you'll make a phone call to the field office and give the supervisor on the desk your name, pass number(employee ID number), and booth number(station location and name). But before doing this always make sure the immediate area outside your booth is safe and you secure you funds and booth door.

Dow time varies by location and time of day. Some booths are slow all day, but mostly old timers will have these jobs. As a new agent you can almost guarantee you'll be working at busier locations most days on the AM and PM tours. But even busy locations get slow at night time or weekend and holidays.

Lunch is a 30 minute (paid) break. So you get 30 minutes of lunch, but they still continue to pay for you full 8 hours.

And as far as picking jobs and tours, that's very difficult as a new agents, as your options are very limited. Even more so since they've cut a lot of job since when I started in 2005. But two times out of the year as per your union's rights station agents pick jobs.

Hopefully this has answered all your questions and concerns. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask here. I try to check these boards every few days. So I'll respond as quickly as I can.

Station Supervisor Level I

@Will. Thank you so much for your detailed responses. You're awesome to all our newbies here. Much appreciated. Look forward to meet you in person in the near future :)

You're very welcome for the gratitude. And I'll keep my fingers crossed to see you on the road one day.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! So in late January I took a lab test. I know I passed that for a fact. By April I realized I was approaching 90 days so I contacted someone in human resources. I was told that I would be receiving a letter in the mail soon. This doesnt sound like good news. Has this happened to anyone else? Does this sound like I would have to take the lab test again?

Hey guys! So in late January I took a lab test. I know I passed that for a fact. By April I realized I was approaching 90 days so I contacted someone in human resources. I was told that I would be receiving a letter in the mail soon. This doesnt sound like good news. Has this happened to anyone else? Does this sound like I would have to take the lab test again?

Sorry to say it doesn't sound good. Either they're sending a letter for you to repeat the drug test or a letter of rejection. The second contact from TA is mostly a phone call. I've heard they're sending emails now. But that's all new to me.

right what is really going on with the list

Since TA took over their own exams a few years back, they've been getting extremely slow to establish lists. When DCAS was in charge of their exams lists would be established within months of the exam. Now list take longer than a year to be established. You guys are just going to have to remain patient.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been extend a offer with out receiving my test results could anyone tell me the process

You go in to 180 Livingston to do a drug test and get a 21 page packet to fill out your work history, arrest history, and conviction history.

If your drug test comes back clean and you have no pending court appearances or tickets then you come back when notified usually via email to complete final processing and be sworn in.