Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
CalgaryTransitNYC

Questions about the R42s

I will mention that I am not from New York, I am from Canada, so I know very little about the subway. Hopefully my questions can be answered.

So some friends of mine are visiting NYC this December, and are transit fanners. They will be spending most of their time rail fanning, and bus fanning too. They have some questions about the R42s as they want to get some good photos and know when they run and on what line.

They want to know where to find R42s, when is the best time to find them, the best place to find them and when, and some good spots to get photos.

I appreciate your answers! 

The R42s are found on the (J) and (Z). They appear often on those lines, but there are only so few left on those lines. Best to find them in the rush hour periods. Broadway Junction is a good place to fan since the yard is nearby and many (J) and (Z) 's terminate/originate there.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
  • Upvote 1

For one, they only run on the (J)(Z). They can be seen at anytime during the day or night, but as noted by the above poster, they're mostly in service during rush hours. As for good photo spots, I would suggest Marcy Ave (J)(M)(Z) station, the Willamsburg Bridge, and Myrtle Ave-Broadway. If your buds don't find any while they're fanning, ride past Broadway Junction, you will almost always see an R42 in East New York Yard.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

The R42s are found on the (J) and (Z). They appear often on those lines, but there are only so few left on those lines. Best to find them in the rush hour periods. Broadway Junction is a good place to fan since the yard is nearby and many (J) and (Z) 's terminate/originate there.

Lol, I wouldn't send the tourists with cameras to Broadway Junction. 

Myrtle-Broadway and the Williamsburg Bridge might be a little more, as we say, tourist-friendly.

• Upvote 2

Myrtle-Broadway and the Williamsburg Bridge might be a little more, as we say, tourist-friendly.

The junction is ok for yard pics, but other than that, Williamsburg and Myrtle Avenue are better for catching revenue cars.

I don't think they drop that much trains out at Broadway Junction like they used anymore.

I don't think they drop that much trains out at Broadway Junction like they used anymore.

All the (Z) Trains (Except 1) and 2 (J) Trains dropout at Broadway Junction after going to Broad Street during the AM which is about 5-7 trains.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

You can also catch the rare R143 that always pops up on the (J) or (X) during rush hours.

Send them to South Jamaica, I'll show them around. LOL

I recommend Cypress Hills station for the curve leaving the station. Also, do put your cameras away and ride the entire line, it's a nice ride.

I second that notion...

Especially the overpass to the Manhattan bound platform (for yard shots) or the front of the Canarsie bound (L) platform.You can get pics of the buses too (Q24,Q56 and B83) IIRC

Actually I would recommend,If you have time, to catch the (L) to Canarsie and back.Closest thing in the system to a roller coaster (especially if you get an R143)

NOTE:There are no R42s on the (L).You will only get R143 or R160.

As for locations on the (J)(Z) , I recommend Bway Junction,Myrtle Av, Essex Street (the ride over the bridge is nice),Alabama Avenue and Cypress Hills.

You can also catch the rare R143 that always pops up on the (J)  during rush hours.

Yes!I recommend that too.Caught it in August...Boy do those trains fly. We were easily doing 35-40 MPH between stations...

Depending when your there,(other members can clue you in,I'm not a regular (J) rider) you could potentially catch layups entering or leaving at 111 Street

Edited by Around the Horn

You know, I still never understood why R143's were running on the (J) in the first place, is it because they got a shorter number of NTT's?

Wow such feedback. Thank you everyone! I've let my friends know about your suggestions and they will decide on where to go. I would of joined them this December, but with the lack of money and no job... well you know...

I will be sure to visit NYC very soon hopefully.

• Upvote 1

I will mention that I am not from New York, I am from Canada, so I know very little about the subway. Hopefully my questions can be answered.

So some friends of mine are visiting NYC this December, and are transit fanners. They will be spending most of their time rail fanning, and bus fanning too. They have some questions about the R42s as they want to get some good photos and know when they run and on what line.

They want to know where to find R42s, when is the best time to find them, the best place to find them and when, and some good spots to get photos.

I appreciate your answers! 

They will have to travel along BMT Jamaica Line on J/Z line. 

Nothing won't happen to him at Broadway Junction, its safe. There's a police station in the fare control area.