NICE Public Hearing for Service Cuts/Fare Hike

Not so sure that will help. People coming out of the subway looking for an N20 or N21 could at least see a N20G and relate them. But to come out and only see an N10 or N11 would add more confusion.

The obvious confusion with NICE's plan is having two now-unrelated routes with the same number. (Think of the former "A" routes in Queens.)

Instead of having an N20G and N20H, one of those should be N20 and the other should have an unrelated number. I thought of N10 because of the final "0." Not every decision needs to be backed up by extensive data-driven psychological research.

Basically, people are adaptable. If you tell them in advance what number to look for and where to look for it, they will find it. 

The n20/n21 restructuring is the thing that is really just surprising.  I probably would have instituted the following patterns:

N20 - Local stops between Great Neck and Flushing, daily running every 10 - 20 minutes.

N21 - Local service between Great Neck and Glen Cove, daily, running hourly.

N28 Limited - Limited stops from Flushing to Hicksville, stopping at Glen Neck, running daily until 9PM.  Last few buses run local.  During days, no local service to Hicksville.

N29 Limited - Limited stops from Flushing to Glen Cove, rush hours only.

I would keep the structure as NICE has revised it, with a slight change in numbers...

• N20G becomes N10 or N11:  Flushing to Great Neck 
  • N20H becomes N20:  Great Neck to Hicksville
  • N21 (number unchanged):  Great Neck to Glen Cove

This will be confusing as well.

If we had n28, it could easily mistaken with Q28 bus.

Rush Hour n20L Limited was popular because some Hicksville and Flushing resident don't want Great Neck Station. It was quicker for some folks going to Greenvale, Hicksville, CW Post, SUNY, etc.

Rush Hour n20L Limited was popular because some Hicksville and Flushing resident don't want Great Neck Station. It was quicker for some folks going to Greenvale, Hicksville, CW Post, SUNY, etc.

Using that logic, the N4 can be confused with the Q4, moreso since they both use Merrick Blvd for a while. 

How are you not going to notice the difference between an orange & blue Nassau County bus, with NICE on it, and the white & blue city bus, which says "MTA" on it.

Using that logic, the N4 can be confused with the Q4, moreso since they both use Merrick Blvd for a while. 

How are you not going to notice the difference between an orange & blue Nassau County bus, with NICE on it, and the white & blue city bus, which says "MTA" on it.

Many people still get on the n6 and expect to get off in Queens

Well that's their fault for not knowing that after so much time, or for attempting to get the driver to stop at their preferred stop. If after all this time, you don't understand, I don't know how you can be helped. Riders (in general) are clueless when it comes to service changes, and if people actually spent time understanding the change, it wouldn't be such a problem.

Is easy. Its display signs says Q4 and n4 to difference

Also one can tell the driver q4 or n4?

Bus operators can't get mad for this stupid question since there here to benefit us the users and not tolerate us

Is better time ask first and not get off at hook creek blvd (if you errously boarded a n4 when you awaited a q4 OR you error boarded a q4 and was to head to Rockville centre lynbrook or Freeport and getting off is in need of another fare payment but to say much the MTA issues free transfers if consulted in a friendly matter NOT like NICE that rejects transfers an any cost of consultations)

There used to be an N28 out in Roslyn (Industrial Park-Roslyn LIRR station). It's up to the people to look and see what bus they're getting on. What about the B38 & Q38? What about the Q4 & N4?

Bus operators can't get mad for this stupid question since there here to benefit us the users and not tolerate us

Is better time ask first and not get off at hook creek blvd (if you errously boarded a n4 when you awaited a q4 OR you error boarded a q4 and was to head to Rockville centre lynbrook or Freeport and getting off is in need of another fare payment but to say much the MTA issues free transfers if consulted in a friendly matter NOT like NICE that rejects transfers an any cost of consultations)

NICE gives transfers if you ask nicely and you give a good reason why you need it.

Same for n22 bus, well as n24 before City Line portion, and n4 buses as well.

It happens quite often on n20, n20L and n21 bus.

Some people abused closed-door policy because they know NICE Bus is fast with pickup only in Queens and drop-off only.

Same for n22 bus, well as n24 before City Line portion, and n4 buses as well.

It happens quite often on n20, n20L and n21 bus.

Some people abused closed-door policy because they know NICE Bus is fast with pickup only in Queens and drop-off only.

Yep, NYCT buses are slow. 

It is a real shame that the N20 is really about to get messed up heavily, and many people will now have to pay more to get to Flushing and beyond, which is why I suggested that buses going to Hicksville and Glen Cove would make limited stops while having short turn buses run in two segments picking passengers along Northern Boulevard.  If they keep the structure that they will start next week, then I think it will cause more crowding on the N22 and N24 because passengers going to Queens will be forced to take those routes now.  I don't see any big issue between taking an N28 or a Q28, especially when the last stop is shown on the buses, and different types of buses are used on each of those routes, let alone the different color schemes for the MTA and Nicebus.

N20 - Local stops between Great Neck and Flushing, daily running every 10 - 20 minutes.

N21 - Local service between Great Neck and Glen Cove, daily, running hourly.

N28 Limited - Limited stops from Flushing to Hicksville, stopping at Glen Neck, running daily until 9PM.  Last few buses run local.  During days, no local service to Hicksville.

N29 Limited - Limited stops from Flushing to Glen Cove, rush hours only.

Now you feel my pain with the truncation of the n19 and modified schedule of the n72

To must about 40% n20 passengers go beyond Great Neck and about 15% beyond SUNY Westbury that means that 25% of n20 goto one of the tthree higher educational facilities

Of those 25% coming from queens 3/4 access the n20 via a transfer (mostly by the (7) train)

That is another one that I am scratching my head about.  The N19 should absolutely head out to Babylon.  The N47 is kept, while the N20 and N19 routes are truncated.  

The N47/48/49 and the N78/N79 could be restructured as follows:

N47 Hempstead - Plainview:

Instead of looping around Front Street, this route would run to Newbridge Road to Hicksville; for Front Street use N48 or N49.  After Hicksville, the route would run via the current N78 route to Plainview.

N48: Hempstead - Jericho Quad / Broadway Mall:

Same route.

N49: Hempstead - Walt Whitman Mall

Same route to Hicksville, but then runs via the current N79 route to Walt Whitman Mall.

The combined headways would be 20 minutes middays, and 10 minutes peak.  Each bus runs hourly off peak, and 30 minutes peak, and it would take about an hour to complete each route.

Now you feel my pain with the truncation of the n19 and modified schedule of the n72

To must about 40% n20 passengers go beyond Great Neck and about 15% beyond SUNY Westbury that means that 25% of n20 goto one of the tthree higher educational facilities

Of those 25% coming from queens 3/4 access the n20 via a transfer (mostly by the (7) train)

Why can't NYIT and CW Post provide shuttle service between their campuses, Hicksville and Roslyn? I can definitely see the n20 being cut back to Roslyn if one of the campuses were to run a shuttle from the LIRR station to the college.

I don't know where you get those statistics from, but I see it more as 70% of riders go between Roslyn and Flushing, and maybe 10-15% of the remaining 30% go beyond the college campuses to go to Hicksville. And that's coming from someone who has lived on the route since the years of Long Island Bus.

I can definitely see the n20 being cut back to Roslyn if one of the campuses were to run a shuttle from the LIRR station to the college.

Very very likely to happen (the n20 being cut back to Roslyn) if NICE continues cutting back the system. I don't see it happening any time soon though.

That proposition won't work since the n78/79 we're long routes heading from Mineola transit hub (in that time the transit centre didint exist and was a marginal street adjacent to the RR station similar to palmetto street of ridgewood,queens)

To make it happen NICE must examine that the buses don't get stuck on traffic andaarrive late. ..the n79 leaving Mineola (8:00am) would arrive Roosevelt Field at 8:05 and depart at 8:10a...with the many of traffic signals in the so called Nassau Hub area. That n79 would arrive Hicksville at 8:45a plus accounting the 35 minute ride to South Huntington from Hicksville the n79 that left at 8:00am would arrive WWMall at 9:20am...that same bus would rest 10 minutes and Leave at 9:30am to arrive Mineola at 10:50am

Now putting your suggestion routing if a n79 departs Hempstead at 10:00am it would arrive Hicksville at 10:40-10:45am and thus arrive South Huntington at 11:15-11:20am exactly identical to the routing to mineola but the traffic is not because of the many traffic. Signals. But becauseHempstead is more further away than mineola

Now what i like of the combination of the n49/79 is that it connects to many bus routes especially the very busy n6 (which is 24/7)..,

Why can't NYIT and CW Post provide shuttle service between their campuses, Hicksville and Roslyn? I can definitely see the n20 being cut back to Roslyn if one of the campuses were to run a shuttle from the LIRR station to the college.

There's more ridership out of Hicksville than you think towards areas in the North Shore, at least during weekdays. I would keep it running to Hicksville, since you would make it a lot harder to get to Hicksville or points south and east to the north shore (and vice-versa).

There's more ridership out of Hicksville than you think towards areas in the North Shore, at least during weekdays. I would keep it running to Hicksville, since you would make it a lot harder to get to Hicksville or points south and east to the north shore (and vice-versa).

I want to see their APC data

They don't have to because the N20 is right there.

The N19 should absolutely head out to Babylon.  

Nassau County is barely willing to pay for Nassau County buses and definitely doesn't want to subsidize a Suffolk County bus service.

The N47/48/49 and the N78/N79 could be restructured as follows:

N47 Hempstead - Plainview:

Instead of looping around Front Street, this route would run to Newbridge Road to Hicksville; for Front Street use N48 or N49.  After Hicksville, the route would run via the current N78 route to Plainview.

N48: Hempstead - Jericho Quad / Broadway Mall:

Same route.

N49: Hempstead - Walt Whitman Mall

Same route to Hicksville, but then runs via the current N79 route to Walt Whitman Mall.

The combined headways would be 20 minutes middays, and 10 minutes peak.  Each bus runs hourly off peak, and 30 minutes peak, and it would take about an hour to complete each route.

Again, that's a lot more service than the County will ever be wiling to pay for.

How many of those N20 riders transfer to the N27 or 21? 

The n19 can be reinstated by early 2017 if manypetitions are solicitated and the demand of service is at a ratio of at least 1:3

The n19 will resucitastes have faith this bus route ALWAYS had its Freeport- Babylon route and til 9:30pm

I remembered months ago i made a petition for the last n19 to depart Babylon at 10:30 (hence arriving SUNRISE at 10:50pm) and the n72 at 10:20pm...much was all for it to connect to the last s40 coming from Patchogue at 10:25pm (leaving Patchogue at 9:30pm)

But all i did was jinx it off now the n19 got truncated (tomorrow WOULD be its last run leaving Babylon at 9pm which i will be there to say farewell) and have the last n72 depart at 9:15pm...5 minutes more earlier than its scheduled departure at the fall scheduling

All is to it to just accustomed, pay the $3 bucks in the LIRR(if your heading towards Rockville Centre Then you're actually riding at a nominal NICE fare in a premium comfort and faster service...LUCKY ) OR wait for the possible resucitacion by 2017

Farewell n19 (Suffolk Portion.)...you'll be missed

Have a tear coming out must retire from writing. ..excuse me. :(

URGENT! !!

What is the scheduled last run on the n19 on Saturdays. ..is that NICE modified its scheduling and just says from Massapequa park (Sunrise Mall)

Please i must know for to make the final trip tomorrow i can't miss it

URGENT! !!

What is the scheduled last run on the n19 on Saturdays. ..is that NICE modified its scheduling and just says from Massapequa park (Sunrise Mall)

Please i must know for to make the final trip tomorrow i can't miss it

8:30pm from Freeport

9:45pm From Babylon

N19 Schedule PDF: http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/NiceBus-Schedules/NiceBus-SchedulesApp/NICE-n19_MapSchedule.pdf 

Interactive Schedule: http://www.nicebus.com/Maps-Schedules/Interactive-System-Map/Individual-NICE-Bus-Maps-and-Schedules.aspx?ID=5863

Edit: they've already replaced the N19 PDF schedule with the new one.

Archived