NYPD plan to increase ticketing against jaywalkers

peacemak3r

FLUSHING — NYPD officers plan to increase ticketing against jaywalkers — a move supported by local politicians who say pedestrians who violate the rules of the road endanger themselves and others.

Officers from the 109th Precinct will hand out information cards in multiple languages for the next two weeks to educate pedestrians on the rules, followed by increased enforcement through summonses and tickets, officials said Monday.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20151110/flushing/nypd-ticket-jaywalking-queens-pedestrians-for-their-own-safety-pols-say

Finally.

Finally.

Of course you would post this.  I jaywalk all of the time in Midtown, but that's because of all of the damn chain smokers that clog up the sidewalks in a cloud of smoke.  They sometimes stand in the street too just off of the curb, so I will walk in the street in an attempt to get some sort of fresh air, but I always look to see if cars are coming and stay on the side so as not to impede traffic.  I would rather breathe in the car exhaust fumes than someone's second hand smoke.  At least it smells better. lol

Also not beside jaywalkers, bus operators, train operators and conductors also jaywalk to get to mall to do their business.

I don't think 109th precint will be good with Flushing outreach because most Chinese residents don't want any brochure or some Chinese even ignores free Chinese newspaper as well.

Of course you would post this.  I jaywalk all of the time in Midtown, but that's because of all of the damn chain smokers that clog up the sidewalks in a cloud of smoke.  They sometimes stand in the street too just off of the curb, so I will walk in the street in an attempt to get some sort of fresh air, but I always look to see if cars are coming and stay on the side so as not to impede traffic.  I would rather breathe in the car exhaust fumes than someone's second hand smoke.  At least it smells better. lol

You're not the only one. I do jaywalk all the time everywhere including Long Island or NYC, well as NJ.

I wouldn't do it on Fort Lee because Fort Lee cops gives fine to jaywalker in Fort Lee, NJ.

Sometimes when I'm hurry I walked on shoulder of road path.

I also remember when NYPD was giving out brochure to NICE Bus rider to safeguard your belongings, majority of riders trash the brochure onto NICE Bus.

The enforcement is so over-the-top that it's actually quite hilarious. I saw this cop by my house just randomly standing behind an El pillar, and when they were giving a report about it on NY1 today you could see like 5 cops and 3 DOT guys roaming about in the reporter's live shot.

It's over the top, but overdue on the pedestrian's end. There's no reason to play real-life Frogger on a 4-5 or 6 lane street in New York City, especially when you have cars whizzing by.

I jaywalk, but generally when the coast is clear. How are they determining who they give tickets to?

I would assume they would be hard on people who clearly jaywalk on busy streets or somewhere with higher amounts of traffic. Though I'd also assume during quota days, they'd probably be hard on people jaywalking on empty streets.

And to VG8, of course I'm posting this. This is a pedestrian city right? You guys have rules to follow also.

• 4 weeks later...

You're not the only one. I do jaywalk all the time everywhere including Long Island or NYC, well as NJ.

I wouldn't do it on Fort Lee because Fort Lee cops gives fine to jaywalker in Fort Lee, NJ.

Sometimes when I'm hurry I walked on shoulder of road path.

I also remember when NYPD was giving out brochure to NICE Bus rider to safeguard your belongings, majority of riders trash the brochure onto NICE Bus.

If you jaywalk in NYC is one thing, doing it in Long Island is another story, Long Island is not part of New York City, its part of Nassau and Suffolk counties depending on their laws out there, then jaywalking shouldn't be a problem in the Long Island part of New York.

I would assume they would be hard on people who clearly jaywalk on busy streets or somewhere with higher amounts of traffic. Though I'd also assume during quota days, they'd probably be hard on people jaywalking on empty streets.

And to VG8, of course I'm posting this. This is a pedestrian city right? You guys have rules to follow also.

Well I think there needs to be changes to pedestrians, particularly since we have all of these damn tourists that don't know how anything works in NYC.  One thing that is becoming annoying is that they all walk in a group blocking the entire sidewalk.  That in turn FORCES people into the street.  Take the tourists and then all of the chain smokers hogging up the sidewalks smoking EVERYWHERE, and you tell me where are pedestrians trying to get somewhere without smelling like an ashtray are supposed to walk?

That is a pedestrian problem and with that, don't go walking on the streets as an alternative putting yourself and the driver at danger then god forbid something happens the blame goes to the driver.

Oh please.... Listen, when I lived in Italy, people always walked in the streets with the traffic because of the extremely narrow sidewalks.  You had no choice but to, and so I got so accustomed to doing it there that I do it here without a second thought.   New York has a problem with not enough sidewalk space and that's something that drivers (especially in Manhattan) are used to.  There are some places where it isn't an issue, but even in my neighborhood I will walk in the street here and there if it means getting to my destination faster, and the cars are very cool about it because the drivers are civilized and polite.  When I'm in say the South Bronx though, the people there drive like animals and think they own the streets, so you think twice about doing it there.

Archived