MTA to Cut QM1 service along Union Turnpike - Winter 2016

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's preposterous... How long did you guys wait for another bus?? I personally would start a petition.  I'm sure you must know some of the regulars.  Spread the word around about the cuts because I doubt many people know about them.

Is it really that important to keep empty buses running at all costs?

Is it really that important to keep empty buses running at all costs?

The buses are not empty. I've been on many midday QM1's that are half full. Do you know of any line that has full ridership 100% of the time it runs? I sure don't. Plus, many of these buses are heading into the city to do pick ups closer to rush hour, which are quite full. 300,000 dollars can easily be saved in other ways that do not inconvenience the community and force more riders onto the overcrowded Q46 and E or F trains

The buses are not empty. I've been on many midday QM1's that are half full. Do you know of any line that has full ridership 100% of the time it runs? I sure don't. Plus, many of these buses are heading into the city to do pick ups closer to rush hour, which are quite full. 300,000 dollars can easily be saved in other ways that do not inconvenience the community and force more riders onto the overcrowded Q46 and E or F trains

Gotham Bus Co. is only anti express bus when his wife isn't using them. Hypocrite...  :lol:

If the buses were "empty" all along, what is MTA doing ... "community service?"

That would be sorta like how Transdev let NICE routes run (even though they're "transportation experts" and the henchmen in Eddie's shuffling-off of responsiblity) for these years under their auspices/control, and trying to "right" the cart now that things are a little dicey.

MTA is a little more smarter.  I'll give them that.

If the buses were "empty" all along, what is MTA doing ... "community service?"

That would be sorta like how Transdev let NICE routes run (even though they're "transportation experts" and the henchmen in Eddie's shuffling-off of responsiblity) for these years under their auspices/control, and trying to "right" the cart now that things are a little dicey.

MTA is a little more smarter.  I'll give them that.

There are trips that are lacking, but given the fact that it duplicates 2 other routes for almost its entire length is one reason why the MTA feels like cutting that service. My gripe is more with the actual ridership on the line with several trips, not the fact that it duplicates the QM5/QM6. And if this happens on Union Turnpike, who knows what will happen on Ocean Avenue. 

I feel that the MTA probably wanted to do this for years, but didn't, since after takeover, they said they were committed to providing better service for the express bus customers. That was true for Union Tpke; they got a 30 minute combined headway instead of 40 minutes west of 188 Street, they got evening service on saturdays and sundays (because back then, the last outbound QM1A to Queens departing 37 Street at 6:20 PM; now the last QM5 departs at 11:00 PM/12:00 AM, and the QM6 at 10:30 PM/11:30 PM). They probably wanted to make sure for a few years, run the route, and then eventually get rid of that service. The BM's were used as a test for the MTA to cut service, and they got it pretty rough, despite the MTA improving service until about 2008, and then cutting runs in 2010 until 2012. 

The (MTA) would love to cut as much Queens express bus service as possible because of the run times, but also because they want those people to just take the LIRR or go to the subway.  That's their thinking, and that's why I'd be cautious in yelling for more QM or any other Queens express bus cuts if I were you because the (MTA) doesn't stop cutting once they start.  I wouldn't put it past them to cut more from any route that they can if they can get away with it.  This is precisely why I watch everything that they do.  They will screw over a route purposely to see ridership tank and then argue that the route is performing poorly so it has to be cut.  That's exactly why QM1 should raise hell so that they don't f*ck him over even more with tinkering with the QM5 and QM6.

Runtime definitely plays a role. However, I feel that the loop routing is problematic. Out of all the express buses, the QM's have the longest "turnaround" from the last stop on the inbound trip to the first stop on the outbound, so much that it's considered a DH. All the QM's used to come in as inbounds, and then either at 34 Street/3 Avenue or 6 Avenue/ 36 Street, layover for about 5 minutes, and then go out as outbounds. Today, only the QM15 does on weekdays. That's a huge amount of added costs, that 1 or 2 extra buses are utilized for every route per hour, and 30-60 minutes of added (paid) run time with their DH's. 

If I wanted to reduce costs for running the express buses, I would revert back to this pattern. Trip times would obviously have to be changed for this to work.

For example, let's take the QM2:

Inbounds on middays depart at :20 and :50, outbounds at :15 and : 45. The inbounds take 55 minutes to get to 6 Avenue/36 Street. I would have that bus layover for 10 minutes at 36 Street, and then return to service as an inbound at :25 and :55. Those trips would arrive Bay Terrace at :40 and :10 the following hour. 

Evening buses depart at :00. They would take the same amount of time to get to 6 Avenue, wait 10 minutes, then go up again as an outbound at :05, and arriving Bay Terrace at :25 the following hour. For slots like the 8 and 9 PM slots from Manhattan, the :30 buses would be moved to :35. 

This would occur for most of the QM's. I would start this on the QM2, QM4, and QM20 since they're the most feasible to do this on first because of its headways, the QM15 already does this, and then implement this on the Union Turnpike routes. This way, none of those evening buses DH back to CP from Manhattan, and overall saving money, while maintaining the amount trips per line.

The decreased runtime in this case would be used to expand the amount of time in Manhattan to 20 minutes during middays and 25 during the rush. Either way, there will still be same savings

There are trips that are lacking, but given the fact that it duplicates 2 other routes for almost its entire length is one reason why the MTA feels like cutting that service. My gripe is more with the actual ridership on the line with several trips, not the fact that it duplicates the QM5/QM6. And if this happens on Union Turnpike, who knows what will happen on Ocean Avenue. 

I feel that the MTA probably wanted to do this for years, but didn't, since after takeover, they said they were committed to providing better service for the express bus customers. That was true for Union Tpke; they got a 30 minute combined headway instead of 40 minutes west of 188 Street, they got evening service on saturdays and sundays (because back then, the last outbound QM1A to Queens departing 37 Street at 6:20 PM; now the last QM5 departs at 11:00 PM/12:00 AM, and the QM6 at 10:30 PM/11:30 PM). They probably wanted to make sure for a few years, run the route, and then eventually get rid of that service. The BM's were used as a test for the MTA to cut service, and they got it pretty rough, despite the MTA improving service until about 2008, and then cutting runs in 2010 until 2012. 

Runtime definitely plays a role. However, I feel that the loop routing is problematic. Out of all the express buses, the QM's have the longest "turnaround" from the last stop on the inbound trip to the first stop on the outbound, so much that it's considered a DH. All the QM's used to come in as inbounds, and then either at 34 Street/3 Avenue or 6 Avenue/ 36 Street, layover for about 5 minutes, and then go out as outbounds. Today, only the QM15 does on weekdays. That's a huge amount of added costs, that 1 or 2 extra buses are utilized for every route per hour, and 30-60 minutes of added (paid) run time with their DH's. 

If I wanted to reduce costs for running the express buses, I would revert back to this pattern. Trip times would obviously have to be changed for this to work.

For example, let's take the QM2:

Inbounds on middays depart at :20 and :50, outbounds at :15 and : 45. The inbounds take 55 minutes to get to 6 Avenue/36 Street. I would have that bus layover for 10 minutes at 36 Street, and then return to service as an inbound at :25 and :55. Those trips would arrive Bay Terrace at :40 and :10 the following hour. 

Evening buses depart at :00. They would take the same amount of time to get to 6 Avenue, wait 10 minutes, then go up again as an outbound at :05, and arriving Bay Terrace at :25 the following hour. For slots like the 8 and 9 PM slots from Manhattan, the :30 buses would be moved to :35. 

This would occur for most of the QM's. I would start this on the QM2, QM4, and QM20 since they're the most feasible to do this on first because of its headways, the QM15 already does this, and then implement this on the Union Turnpike routes. This way, none of those evening buses DH back to CP from Manhattan, and overall saving money, while maintaining the amount trips per line.

The decreased runtime in this case would be used to expand the amount of time in Manhattan to 20 minutes during middays and 25 during the rush. Either way, there will still be same savings

From what I understand the old set up is being reconsidered.

I've been wondering why the old set up of having buses pick up and drop off in Manhattan at the same time, especially on weekends, was discontinued. I'd be happy to go back to that instead of cutting rout

Well unfortunately for you, they obviously can't go back to that set-up tomorrow, or anytime before winter 2016. So, by they time they decide to re-implement this (if they do) will be way past the QM1 midday discontinuation. Once that QM1 cut happens, there's no going back unless there's some sort of exponential growth. To expand on the MTA's reasoning for discontinuation (according to what they've mentioned), I'm going to use a comparison. The Union Turnpike routes have a combined headway during middays similar to the X1, and even better at one point of the day outbound.The average riders per bus however does not reflect those types of headways for the Union Tpke routes, and the midday average is definently higher on the X1. There are buses used by a good amount of riders, like on the QM6, and the QM5 mainly. Although I've seen more riders during middays (going back to what you said about increased ridership, which it has seen), the QM1 is still not on the same level as the QM5 or QM6, even on an average (during middays).

The QM6 has its own riderbase, and same for the QM5. It is generally much easier to cut the QM1, over evening the headways while having all three buses running. That would also anger Glen Oaks riders, since they would lose one bus per hour. Fresh Meadows, where a significant portion of the midday QM1's ridership comes from alone will either be minimally affected or will have better service. IMO, it's a divided issue, you're gonna have Fresh Meadows residents more in favor of the plan, east of 188 Street either neutral or in Glen Oaks case, slightly annoyed at the added runtime. However, that's not gonna stop the MTA from going with its plan. Then you have west of 188 Street riders, who would not like it. 

For those people who fit in that latter category, I can understand not liking it. However, it represent more of an insignifcant portion of ridership, and the change would be to catch the QM5 instead, 8-10 minutes earlier (until about 1:30 PM towards Manhattan). Afterwards, you would have to catch the QM5 about 22 minutes afterwards, or the QM6, 23 minutes earlier. That group of people will be the most affected, but that's a small portion of the midday ridership towards Manhattan. A minority of the QM1/5 riders would be affected by this (for the record, the QM1 is technically a short-turn of the QM5, so I'm refer to everything as the QM5 instead of QM1 or QM1/5 from now on). 

Well unfortunately for you, they obviously can't go back to that set-up tomorrow, or anytime before winter 2016. So, by they time they decide to re-implement this (if they do) will be way past the QM1 midday discontinuation. Once that QM1 cut happens, there's no going back unless there's some sort of exponential growth. To expand on the MTA's reasoning for discontinuation (according to what they've mentioned), I'm going to use a comparison. The Union Turnpike routes have a combined headway during middays similar to the X1, and even better at one point of the day outbound.The average riders per bus however does not reflect those types of headways for the Union Tpke routes, and the midday average is definently higher on the X1. There are buses used by a good amount of riders, like on the QM6, and the QM5 mainly. Although I've seen more riders during middays (going back to what you said about increased ridership, which it has seen), the QM1 is still not on the same level as the QM5 or QM6, even on an average (during middays).

The QM6 has its own riderbase, and same for the QM5. It is generally much easier to cut the QM1, over evening the headways while having all three buses running. That would also anger Glen Oaks riders, since they would lose one bus per hour. Fresh Meadows, where a significant portion of the midday QM1's ridership comes from alone will either be minimally affected or will have better service. IMO, it's a divided issue, you're gonna have Fresh Meadows residents more in favor of the plan, east of 188 Street either neutral or in Glen Oaks case, slightly annoyed at the added runtime. However, that's not gonna stop the MTA from going with its plan. Then you have west of 188 Street riders, who would not like it.

For those people who fit in that latter category, I can understand not liking it. However, it represent more of an insignifcant portion of ridership, and the change would be to catch the QM5 instead, 8-10 minutes earlier (until about 1:30 PM towards Manhattan). Afterwards, you would have to catch the QM5 about 22 minutes afterwards, or the QM6, 23 minutes earlier. That group of people will be the most affected, but that's a small portion of the midday ridership towards Manhattan. A minority of the QM1/5 riders would be affected by this (for the record, the QM1 is technically a short-turn of the QM5, so I'm refer to everything as the QM5 instead of QM1 or QM1/5 from now on).

I understand the concept, but my issues are as follows. First, there was no discussion, no public forum, nothing on this topic. In fact, the last public forum run by the MTA was about increasing northeast Queens bus service, so this is completely out of the blue. If not for VG8 pointing it out, I'd have never seen these cuts until they were implemented! Second, for the miniscule savings coming out of these cuts, I don't see the purpose, especially since this comes out of the city's pocket as a former PBL run.

I understand the concept, but my issues are as follows. First, there was no discussion, no public forum, nothing on this topic. In fact, the last public forum run by the MTA was about increasing northeast Queens bus service, so this is completely out of the blue. If not for VG8 pointing it out, I'd have never seen these cuts until they were implemented! Second, for the miniscule savings coming out of these cuts, I don't see the purpose, especially since this comes out of the city's pocket as a former PBL run.

I believe that if more than 25% of a service is cut, they'll do such discussion. Individually, the QM1 midday service cuts about 25-33% of the trips on that line, however they probably include the QM1 with the QM5 in a subset (like I mentioned, the QM1 is technically a QM5 short-turn). That automatically makes it less than 25% of trips when that's taken into account. 

The savings always come out from something that's going to be implemented in the future within MTA Bus, be it extra runtime, more runtime, new services, etc. So, while the city reimburses the MTA, the city will normally pay a similar amount of money (accounting inflation), and the MTA has been known to do just that. IDK the percentage of what savings on a certain route is reapplied on that same route for certain improvements, but dealing with moderate service changes, not much. These $300,000 will not be pocketed at all, and will be used in some form for improvements deemed necessary, could be on the same route, or on a different one. 

I believe that if more than 25% of a service is cut, they'll do such discussion. Individually, the QM1 midday service cuts about 25-33% of the trips on that line, however they probably include the QM1 with the QM5 in a subset (like I mentioned, the QM1 is technically a QM5 short-turn). That automatically makes it less than 25% of trips when that's taken into account. 

The savings always come out from something that's going to be implemented in the future within MTA Bus, be it extra runtime, more runtime, new services, etc. So, while the city reimburses the MTA, the city will normally pay a similar amount of money (accounting inflation), and the MTA has been known to do just that. IDK the percentage of what savings on a certain route is reapplied on that same route for certain improvements, but dealing with moderate service changes, not much. These $300,000 will not be pocketed at all, and will be used in some form for improvements deemed necessary, could be on the same route, or on a different one.

Yeah, because the MTA is so known for carefully accounting for every dollar (eye roll). Bottom line, the MTA gave practically no notice about these cuts and given the horrible on time performance of the line, this is going to even further mess up the line.

Yeah, because the MTA is so known for carefully accounting for every dollar (eye roll). Bottom line, the MTA gave practically no notice about these cuts and given the horrible on time performance of the line, this is going to even further mess up the line.

Well let me tell you, I took a quick trip over to Whitestone tonight to do a little shopping. That last QM2 bus was almost 10 minutes early going back to the city. I couldn't believe it. I said this guy is running this hot? The same crap goes on with the other CP express bus lines. No accountability...

Well let me tell you, I took a quick trip over to Whitestone tonight to do a little shopping. That last QM2 bus was almost 10 minutes early going back to the city. I couldn't believe it. I said this guy is running this hot? The same crap goes on with the other CP express bus lines. No accountability...

Well that's why I would use those $300,000 to partially fix the issue of late trips and missing runs. They obviously need more time; it's mind boggling how the QM15 gets more time from 38 Street to Lindenwood than the QM5/QM6 get to Glen Oaks or Lake Success, respectively, yet the QM5 and QM6 are much longer and equally as busy as the QM15 or even more during middays.

I know that all the issues cant be solved with the $300,000, so I'll modify the saturday schedule. Buses get no more than 15 minutes to go from 6/36 to 57/ Lexington, and the evening buses take 15 minutes instead of 25. You save a significant portion of money. I would do something similar for sundays. That savings would be directly used back onto weekday service issues with reliability. There might be reliability issues on Saturdays or Sundays, but they're not as big as issues on weekdays.

Well that's why I would use those $300,000 to partially fix the issue of late trips and missing runs. They obviously need more time; it's mind boggling how the QM15 gets more time from 38 Street to Lindenwood than the QM5/QM6 get to Glen Oaks or Lake Success, respectively, yet the QM5 and QM6 are much longer and equally as busy as the QM15 or even more during middays.

I know that all the issues cant be solved with the $300,000, so I'll modify the saturday schedule. Buses get no more than 15 minutes to go from 6/36 to 57/ Lexington, and the evening buses take 15 minutes instead of 25. You save a significant portion of money. I would do something similar for sundays. That savings would be directly used back onto weekday service issues with reliability. There might be reliability issues on Saturdays or Sundays, but they're not as big as issues on weekdays.

I'm with you on that!

They probably counted overall riding on the combined Union Turnpike corridor (i.e. all three routes) rather than the QM1 by itself. If there really are enough passengers to fill three trips each hour, then there should be three trips per hour. If there are only two buses' worth of passengers per hour, then only two trips per hour are needed. 

Update: Some of the elected officials I contacted have either sent letters to the MTA or spoke to their contacts at the MTA to express opposition to the QM1 cuts. Whether or not this makes any difference is anyone's guess, but hopefully it at least prevents future cuts if the current round of cuts are already in the bag, so to speak. 

Update: Some of the elected officials I contacted have either sent letters to the MTA or spoke to their contacts at the MTA to express opposition to the QM1 cuts. Whether or not this makes any difference is anyone's guess, but hopefully it at least prevents future cuts if the current round of cuts are already in the bag, so to speak.

It's a start in the right direction...

• 2 weeks later...

FYI... I have been informed that the QM1 will now run from 06:10 - 09:10 towards Midtown, and 16:00 - 19:00 towards Fresh Meadows.  All other trips will be cut.  The Winter Schedule should be coming out in the coming weeks (either before or around January).  A total of at least 15 QM1 trips will be gone... 

9:10? That's earlier than what I thought the cutoff would be. I would've kept that 9:40 AM trip, probably does better than either 10 AM QM10 or QM12 trip (or both combined). Same with the 3:30 PM trip, those 3:45 PM QM10/ QM12 trips don't pick up much of anyone. Im pretty sure there's more ridership on that QM1 than the QM10/12 trips.

9:10? That's earlier than what I thought the cutoff would be. I would've kept that 9:40 AM trip, probably does better than either 10 AM QM10 or QM12 trip (or both combined). Same with the 3:30 PM trip, those 3:45 PM QM10/ QM12 trips don't pick up much of anyone. Im pretty sure there's more ridership on that QM1 than the QM10/12 trips.

This is why you have to be careful what you wish for.  Given what is happening with the QM1, which is clearly now going to be a peak only service, I am sure they will be looking at the QM5 closely. I don't think there is much to cut on the QM6, but they're either going to be closely monitoring the QM5.

FYI... I have been informed that the QM1 will now run from 06:10 - 09:10 towards Midtown, and 16:00 - 19:00 towards Fresh Meadows. All other trips will be cut. The Winter Schedule should be coming out in the coming weeks (either before or around January). A total of at least 15 QM1 trips will be gone...

Jesus. So much for my elected officials. I'm gonna ask my QM1 off-peak B/O what he's heard about it in the morning

Between 9 and 10 am there is very often a no-show between one of the scheduled runs, so you are correct about the QM1 being full (assuming it actually shows up)

Good luck getting the bus operators to actually all make the Fresh Meadows stops once this comes into effect.  I've been on many a westbound weekend or evening QM5 where the bus driver just makes a left turn on 188th Street from 73rd Avenue, bypassing the two Fresh Meadows stops.  

Two times I asked the driver why this happened.  The first driver told me that he was running late, and that "no one gets on down there anyway".  He then proceeded to take Park Lane to the Van Wyck to the LIE.  This was the 6PM trip from Glen Oaks.

The second time, there was an MTA bus employee sitting in the front row that was monitoring loads.  This was a weekend, which is when the Fresh Meadows stops do get some usage.  After he made the left, I went to the front and told the driver and the MTA employee that they missed two stops.  They pulled over and discussed it, and decided to proceed without going back to the missed stops.  When I got off the bus in the city, I told them that it was unfair that they decided to proceed and not go back, and they said something like "our bad" and that was that.  

It's happened plenty of other times, too, especially with new/replacement drivers.

Either way, if I was a resident of Fresh Meadows, I'd have a backup plan for each and every QM5 trip I would plan to take because the bus might just make that left turn onto 188th and leave me stranded.

Mind you that these two incidents were before BusTime (but not long before), although that hasn't stopped all drivers from going off route.  (But it has caused drivers to sit at 57th and 3rd for 20 minutes with the 25 minute gap on Saturdays between 37th/6th and 57th/3rd).

Jesus. So much for my elected officials. I'm gonna ask my QM1 off-peak B/O what he's heard about it in the morning

Between 9 and 10 am there is very often a no-show between one of the scheduled runs, so you are correct about the QM1 being full (assuming it actually shows up)

Yeah the Winter pick is already out which is why this is pretty much happening.  Expect the new schedules out in the coming weeks on the (MTA) website.

Good luck getting the bus operators to actually all make the Fresh Meadows stops once this comes into effect.  I've been on many a westbound weekend or evening QM5 where the bus driver just makes a left turn on 188th Street from 73rd Avenue, bypassing the two Fresh Meadows stops.  

Two times I asked the driver why this happened.  The first driver told me that he was running late, and that "no one gets on down there anyway".  He then proceeded to take Park Lane to the Van Wyck to the LIE.  This was the 6PM trip from Glen Oaks.

The second time, there was an MTA bus employee sitting in the front row that was monitoring loads.  This was a weekend, which is when the Fresh Meadows stops do get some usage.  After he made the left, I went to the front and told the driver and the MTA employee that they missed two stops.  They pulled over and discussed it, and decided to proceed without going back to the missed stops.  When I got off the bus in the city, I told them that it was unfair that they decided to proceed and not go back, and they said something like "our bad" and that was that.  

It's happened plenty of other times, too, especially with new/replacement drivers.

Either way, if I was a resident of Fresh Meadows, I'd have a backup plan for each and every QM5 trip I would plan to take because the bus might just make that left turn onto 188th and leave me stranded.

Mind you that these two incidents were before BusTime (but not long before), although that hasn't stopped all drivers from going off route.  (But it has caused drivers to sit at 57th and 3rd for 20 minutes with the 25 minute gap on Saturdays between 37th/6th and 57th/3rd).

lol  The times that I've used the QM5 and QM6 they drive so fast down Union Turnpike that they can easily just blow by the stop.  I was coming from a meeting in Kew Gardens and a QM5 was due and I barely made it to the stop.  I was running in my drivers because I didn't want to wait for the next bus, and luckily he stopped. I was almost certain that he wouldn't, but he may have recognized me going to Queens, as he may have picked me up going towards Glen Oaks as a QM1.  Those CP drivers are a trip.  They will most certainly bypass parts of the route to save time.  They do it all of the time on the QM2 also.  I don't know why either.  I mean I can see doing it on the drop-off segment, but don't they get enough layover time between trips?? 

Archived