MTA to Cut QM1 service along Union Turnpike - Winter 2016

Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah the Winter pick is already out which is why this is pretty much happening.  Expect the new schedules out in the coming weeks on the (MTA) website.

lol  The times that I've used the QM5 and QM6 they drive so fast down Union Turnpike that they can easily just blow by the stop.  I was coming from a meeting in Kew Gardens and a QM5 was due and I barely made it to the stop.  I was running in my drivers because I didn't want to wait for the next bus, and luckily he stopped. I was almost certain that he wouldn't, but he may have recognized me going to Queens, as he may have picked me up going towards Glen Oaks as a QM1.  Those CP drivers are a trip.  They will most certainly bypass parts of the route to save time.  They do it all of the time on the QM2 also.  I don't know why either.  I mean I can see doing it on the drop-off segment, but don't they get enough layover time between trips?? 

QM2 is the worst getting those 3rd ave AM QM2 buses to Queens only have a 50% chance of actually showing up! 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QM2 is the worst getting those 3rd ave AM QM2 buses to Queens only have a 50% chance of actually showing up! 

lol... I've actually thought about getting one of the 3rd Avenue branches here and there but usually go to Whitestone late enough to only have the 6th Avenue branch available to me.  I've certainly seen them along 3rd though. I'm surprised they would be a problem, as the 3rd Avenue branch should be faster than the 6th Avenue branch, meaning more break time for the B/Os.

lol... I've actually thought about getting one of the 3rd Avenue branches here and there but usually go to Whitestone late enough to only have the 6th Avenue branch available to me.  I've certainly seen them along 3rd though. I'm surprised they would be a problem, as the 3rd Avenue branch should be faster than the 6th Avenue branch, meaning more break time for the B/Os.

in the morning i guess they just assume there will be no passengers so sometimes they don't even run which is kinda why passengers don't ride it in the morning they would all rather go the the 6th ave which has a QM20 back up and a better chance of actually showing up 

in the morning i guess they just assume there will be no passengers so sometimes they don't even run which is kinda why passengers don't ride it in the morning they would all rather go the the 6th ave which has a QM20 back up and a better chance of actually showing up 

Whenever I need a QM and want to ensure that I get one, I go to the last stop 57th and 3rd.  For the QM2, I'll go to 59th and Madison if I don't get it along 6th.

That's crazy. The third ave QM1/5/6 are quite popular and have a dedicated group of passengers. I surprised there isn't more outcry from QM2 passengers who work on the east side

That's crazy. The third ave QM1/5/6 are quite popular and have a dedicated group of passengers. I surprised there isn't more outcry from QM2 passengers who work on the east side

IDK you might not realize what I'm saying I'm talking about the AM QM2 from 3 ave 

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm002cur.pdf

apparently the QM2 has 3 buses that depart from 3rd ave going to queens at  8:00Am, 8:30AM, and 9:15AM idk why but like i said earlier it only a 50% chance of these buses actually showing up 

IDK you might not realize what I'm saying I'm talking about the AM QM2 from 3 ave

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm002cur.pdf

apparently the QM2 has 3 buses that depart from 3rd ave going to queens at 8:00Am, 8:30AM, and 9:15AM idk why but like i said earlier it only a 50% chance of these buses actually showing up

I see, I thought it was the other way around. Can't say in shocked, those AM buses to Queens are often no shows on many lines

Wasn't BusTime supposed to help curtail the no shows? BusTime certainly is making QM5 drivers afraid for their jobs so they sit on 57th and 3rd Saturday until the posted :25 departure time--why would these AM drivers be able to get away with not showing up at all?

Depends on how the bustime data is being used. On time performance has gotten no better, if not worse, on the QM1/5/6 in general since Bustime came out. At least know you know how late the bus will be...

And what exactly is the logic behind the :25 departure on Saturday nights? Never made any sense to me

Wasn't BusTime supposed to help curtail the no shows?  BusTime certainly is making QM5 drivers afraid for their jobs so they sit on 57th and 3rd Saturday until the posted :25 departure time--why would these AM drivers be able to get away with not showing up at all?

Depends on how the bustime data is being used. On time performance has gotten no better, if not worse, on the QM1/5/6 in general since Bustime came out. At least know you know how late the bus will be...

And what exactly is the logic behind the :25 departure on Saturday nights? Never made any sense to me

With the QM's they will sit at the last stop a bit longer, but they still run hot most of the time.  I get the QM15 Saturday mornings, and that guy is consistently early EVERY TIME.  In fact I've become so trained, that I know exactly how much time I have to get my macchiato or cappuccino before I need to walk to whatever stop I'm going to get him at.  Quite frankly I don't know how he gets from 34th and 3rd over to 6th so quickly, but basically he is early at just about every stop, and then he sits for a light or so at 57th and 3rd and then still leaves early.  The QM2 often times is 10 minutes early coming back from Whitestone, and when I shop over there, if I'm getting the last bus back to the city, I always make sure I get to the stop early, otherwise I'd be royally screwed.  In short, I would say the QM's perform the poorest in terms of running hot. Even the SI express buses have stopped doing that.  Anytime I go back to Staten Island, my bus is either on time or a few minutes late.  They used to perform similarly to the QM's sometimes running almost 15 minutes early. I can recall getting car service on weekends to the X10 to head to the city, and having to run out of my cab because the bus was so early.

If I were you, I would write in every time a bus was a no-show.  We had a guy out of Yonkers who would come REALLY late, and his bus was NEVER on BusTime. Didn't matter if it was a BxM2 or a BxM18, and you see a lot of the Riverdale passengers use BusTime, and we DO chat and compare what we have on whatever apps we use, and I DO inform them of B/O's that like to play games, and then we all write in and complain.  That's how you deal with that problem.  When the depot is inundated with complaints, they have to do something about the problem.  I keep saying that you guys aren't vocal enough.  I don't care what they say... We're paying for a service, and they're being paid to drive to and from and pick up passengers.  

Then they should really update the schedules if they're that hot, to give them less time. I agree with QM1 that the :25 depature Saturday nights is illogical, traffic is really light at that time, for the most part, so you'd be at 57th in like 15 minutes.

Well they had to move some things around for the Winter schedule, so let's see what happens.  I actually hope they keep the QM15 schedule as is because I changed my start time for my session.  Bumped it up 30 - 45 minutes, so basically I start as soon as I arrive, which can allow me to get the BM5 over by Forest Park Drive if I time things right, thus meaning I get back to the city sooner.

• 3 weeks later...

It's official, sadly. Signs went up on the bus stops saying QM1 to the city ends at 9:10 am starting Monday. Obviously they haven't put out the new schedules on the buses yet

I mean, riders can try to estimate when the QM5 will arrive since it takes about 20 minutes to get from Glen Oaks to Fresh Meadows on QM5's via Fresh Meadows, but it'd be nice if they had the actual schedule online already to actually know when the QM5 would arrive (in my case when I sometimes take the Union Turnpike express, I get on at 188 Street/64 Avenue).

I mean, riders can try to estimate when the QM5 will arrive since it takes about 20 minutes to get from Glen Oaks to Fresh Meadows on QM5's via Fresh Meadows, but it'd be nice if they had the actual schedule online already to actually know when the QM5 would arrive (in my case when I sometimes take the Union Turnpike express, I get on at 188 Street/64 Avenue).

I also think they will be adjusting some of the departure times, so that there isn't as big of a gap between services. But of course there is no way to know, and I'm assuming Monday will be a sh*t show. At least there's bustime now... 

It's official, sadly. Signs went up on the bus stops saying QM1 to the city ends at 9:10 am starting Monday. Obviously they haven't put out the new schedules on the buses yet

I also think they will be adjusting some of the departure times, so that there isn't as big of a gap between services. But of course there is no way to know, and I'm assuming Monday will be a sh*t show. At least there's bustime now... 

When we have a service cut in Riverdale, they waited until the very last minute to put up the new BxM1 and BxM2 schedules.  We lost a Sunday BxM1 trip to Midtown and the return trip to Riverdale, which I screamed about, but not too loudly since they in exchange extended the BxM2 to run until 00:30 back to Riverdale.

When we have a service cut in Riverdale, they waited until the very last minute to put up the new BxM1 and BxM2 schedules. We lost a Sunday BxM1 trip to Midtown and the return trip to Riverdale, which I screamed about, but not too loudly since they in exchange extended the BxM2 to run until 00:30 back to Riverdale.

Sounds right. Still no sign of the new schedule

Sounds right. Still no sign of the new schedule

When we got an extra (later) QM15 to Queens and the departures from Midtown moved up by 15 minutes on the weekends during the summer, the MTA uploaded the schedule late, and there was no notice anywhere, not on buses, nor the MTA website. I wouldn't have known (and possibly been screwed that first weekend when the schedule took place) have I not randomly decided to check through the QM schedules on the website for any changes. I'll still check periodically to see if/when the new schedule will be up.

EDIT: Well what do you know, the schedule's up!

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm001cur.pdf

When we got an extra (later) QM15 to Queens and the departures from Midtown moved up by 15 minutes on the weekends during the summer, the MTA uploaded the schedule late, and there was no notice anywhere, not on buses, nor the MTA website. I wouldn't have known (and possibly been screwed that first weekend when the schedule took place) have I not randomly decided to check through the QM schedules on the website for any changes. I'll still check periodically to see if/when the new schedule will be up.

EDIT: Well what do you know, the schedule's up!

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm001cur.pdf

Thanks for posting! Looks like they didn't adjust the timing (other than adding 5 minutes for the fresh meadows additions), so now there will be a nice big service gap wherever the QM1 runs had been. And that's assuming everything runs on schedule, which happens...never

Thanks for posting! Looks like they didn't adjust the timing (other than adding 5 minutes for the fresh meadows additions), so now there will be a nice big service gap wherever the QM1 runs had been. And that's assuming everything runs on schedule, which happens...never

They really need to give more than 10 minutes between 6 Avenue/ 36 Street and 57 Street/ 3 Avenue. It sometimes takes 10 minutes to cross 57 Street alone. They also STILL have that 25 minute runtime between the same two points during evening periods on Saturdays. You and other riders should bring this to the attention of the MTA (either by sending in complaints). A good portion of those peak buses return back to the city either as a DH or another trip to Midtown, and messes up the schedule on those buses. If they actually gave more time, they would be a better on-time performance, which is what I say that the savings by QM1 service being reduced should be used to increase the current runtime on those buses on weekdays, especially during the rush hour. Also, cut some runtime from the weekend schedule and use it for weekday service.

They really need to give more than 10 minutes between 6 Avenue/ 36 Street and 57 Street/ 3 Avenue. It sometimes takes 10 minutes to cross 57 Street alone. They also STILL have that 25 minute runtime between the same two points during evening periods on Saturdays. You and other riders should bring this to the attention of the MTA (either by sending in complaints). A good portion of those peak buses return back to the city either as a DH or another trip to Midtown, and messes up the schedule on those buses. If they actually gave more time, they would be a better on-time performance, which is what I say that the savings by QM1 service being reduced should be used to increase the current runtime on those buses on weekdays, especially during the rush hour. Also, cut some runtime from the weekend schedule and use it for weekday service.

I've written in about the Saturday night 25 min issue, and have gotten back the typical "thank you for writing. Schedules are reviewed regularly" response. I get the feeling that with BusTime, the MTA now thinks you should track your own bus and they don't have to bother tweaking the schedules. 

I've written in about the Saturday night 25 min issue, and have gotten back the typical "thank you for writing. Schedules are reviewed regularly" response. I get the feeling that with BusTime, the MTA now thinks you should track your own bus and they don't have to bother tweaking the schedules. 

New QM4 schedule is out and they cut the time on saturday night from 25 min to 20 min and they keep CP depot remaining express route the same. 

Hello, part of the problem with guys not being able to get back to do a second trip is the carrying into the city and having to sit in that awful traffic on 6th ave, crawl all the way to 57th street and 3rd ave, and than after dropping off the last passenger having to make their way back to sixth ave to do another trip, all trips should do like they use to do and terminate at 6th ave, and 36th or do like some guys do if they time it right catch a bus leaving 6th ave to queens and go around to set up for thier next trip. It depends on the dispatcher, some will help with the transfer of passengers to a queens bound bus, others just let you snail thru the traffic and be late, and what's funny some people hate having to get off a bus and catch one that is going down 6th verses taking it all the way around and not worrying about what the bus does after, just that I was Inconvinced, this me me me attitude has to stop. It's not so bad to go from one bus to another. Ok back to what I was saying, if I've Been driving all the way down 6th and back again, been in the bus 2-3 hrs I need to use the rest room and stretch my legs, so I will get out of the seat and do that, women have a more difficult time and need to handle thier business, but all this adds to the lateness, if they just had us terminate at 6th and 36th and gave us 30 minutes to get back around use the rest room, stretch our legs and get ready for the next trip....seems to easy...

Also for me the union turnpike corridor has to much redundancy, the northshore towers guy will wait for the qm5 guy to leave first or the qm1 will wait for the qm5 guy to leave, and viva versa, so that's how you have a bus loaded and some half full and some with 10 passengers. Make the qm5 start dropping off east of Chevy chase. Call it a super express or something, You aliminate this crap that way and people still hit the transfer point. Qm6 same and make qm1 drop off from main street all stops, it's make things faster, in the beginning it will be a little bit confusing, but over time people will get it. And if someone does not ask does this bus stop at 164th, or wherever, they get off at Chevy and take a local back across the street. Then they will not make that mistake again....this is just an idea and is up for debate. Maybe someone Has brought this idea up before, but it SHOULD BE DONE.

Hello, part of the problem with guys not being able to get back to do a second trip is the carrying into the city and having to sit in that awful traffic on 6th ave, crawl all the way to 57th street and 3rd ave, and than after dropping off the last passenger having to make their way back to sixth ave to do another trip, all trips should do like they use to do and terminate at 6th ave, and 36th or do like some guys do if they time it right catch a bus leaving 6th ave to queens and go around to set up for thier next trip. It depends on the dispatcher, some will help with the transfer of passengers to a queens bound bus, others just let you snail thru the traffic and be late, and what's funny some people hate having to get off a bus and catch one that is going down 6th verses taking it all the way around and not worrying about what the bus does after, just that I was Inconvinced, this me me me attitude has to stop. It's not so bad to go from one bus to another. Ok back to what I was saying, if I've Been driving all the way down 6th and back again, been in the bus 2-3 hrs I need to use the rest room and stretch my legs, so I will get out of the seat and do that, women have a more difficult time and need to handle thier business, but all this adds to the lateness, if they just had us terminate at 6th and 36th and gave us 30 minutes to get back around use the rest room, stretch our legs and get ready for the next trip....seems to easy...

Also for me the union turnpike corridor has to much redundancy, the northshore towers guy will wait for the qm5 guy to leave first or the qm1 will wait for the qm5 guy to leave, and viva versa, so that's how you have a bus loaded and some half full and some with 10 passengers. Make the qm5 start dropping off east of Chevy chase. Call it a super express or something, You aliminate this crap that way and people still hit the transfer point. Qm6 same and make qm1 drop off from main street all stops, it's make things faster, in the beginning it will be a little bit confusing, but over time people will get it. And if someone does not ask does this bus stop at 164th, or wherever, they get off at Chevy and take a local back across the street. Then they will not make that mistake again....this is just an idea and is up for debate. Maybe someone Has brought this idea up before, but it SHOULD BE DONE.

Your idea would reduce service on Union Tpke itself west of 188 Street during those times. I believe the QM5 and QM6 would be sufficient with the new schedule. They just need to even out buses (which they did not do), and I always see the QM5's and QM6's with decent loads in the afternoon going to/from Manhattan (although most ridership on the QM5/QM6 comes from east of 188 Street). I think that would even decrease QM1 ridership more, since most midday riders tend ride out until 188 Street (the last few times I've taken the route, I've seen people get on along the 188 Street stops, but no one got on along Union Tpke; this was the more later trips to Manhattan). 

What I believe should happen is that the operators should just make a loop around Manhattan, and go back out to Queens. The QM15 currently does this, and I have no complaints about it. Less operators would be needed at first, unless time needs to be increase on those routes. With relation to that, here's how I would do it:

Return trips originate from 34 Street/3 Avenue, allowing riders to get on buses there instead of walking, taking the M34/34A to 6 Avenue

QM2: Leave Bay Terrace at :20 and :50; :20 trip returns as QM5 to Glen Oaks at :20 & :50 the following hour

QM4: Leave Electchester at :00, return as a QM6 to Lake Success at :00 the following hour

QM5: Leave Glen Oaks at :05 and :35, buses return at :20 and :50 the following hour as a QM2 to Bay Terrace

QM6: Leave Lake Success at :10, return as a QM20 to Bay Terrace at :20 the following hour

QM20: Leave Bay Terrace at :00, returns as a QM4 to Electchester at :00 the following hour

The QM20 at 2:30 PM from Bay Terrace would have a driver break at 6 Avenue 36 at 3:24, and would go out as the 4:00 PM QM1 to Fresh Meadows. All QM20's after from 3:30 PM on would run as QM4's from 34 Street departing at :30.

This would also occur during the weekends and evenings, although the evening setup would be different. PM rush buses would interline based on slots available (in addition since the frequency changes to 30-40 minutes, then back to 60).

Evening:

QM6: Leaves at :30 from Lake Success, arrives 34 Street at :25, departs at :35 to Lake Success (except 5:30 PM trip). The 5:30 PM trip turns into a QM5 to Glen Oaks. 

QM5: Leaves at :00 from Glen Oaks, arrives 36 Street at :54- :59, departs to Glen Oaks at :05-:10 (6:00 and 7:00 PM trips only leave at :10, others at :05).

QM2 Leaves at :00 from Bay Terrance, leaves at :00 as QM2 to Bay Terrace

QM20 Leaves at :30 from Bay Terrance, leaves at :30 as QM20 to Bay Terrace

QM4 Leaves at 0:00 From Electchester, leaves at :45 to Elechester

Weekend:

QM2 Leaves Bay Terrance at :40, leaves to Electchester as a QM4 at :30 from 34 Street

QM4 Leaves Electchester at :10, leaves to Bay Terrace as a QM2 at :00 from 34 Street

QM5 Leaves Glen Oaks at :25, leaves to Lake Success as a QM6 at :40 from 34 Street

QM6 Leaves Lake Success at :10, leaves to Glen Oaks as a QM5 at :10 from 34 Street

Archived