MTA to Cut QM1 service along Union Turnpike - Winter 2016

Via Garibaldi 8

Your idea would reduce service on Union Tpke itself west of 188 Street during those times. I believe the QM5 and QM6 would be sufficient with the new schedule. They just need to even out buses (which they did not do), and I always see the QM5's and QM6's with decent loads in the afternoon going to/from Manhattan (although most ridership on the QM5/QM6 comes from east of 188 Street). I think that would even decrease QM1 ridership more, since most midday riders tend ride out until 188 Street (the last few times I've taken the route, I've seen people get on along the 188 Street stops, but no one got on along Union Tpke; this was the more later trips to Manhattan). 

What I believe should happen is that the operators should just make a loop around Manhattan, and go back out to Queens. The QM15 currently does this, and I have no complaints about it. Less operators would be needed at first, unless time needs to be increase on those routes. With relation to that, here's how I would do it:

Return trips originate from 34 Street/3 Avenue, allowing riders to get on buses there instead of walking, taking the M34/34A to 6 Avenue

QM2: Leave Bay Terrace at :20 and :50; :20 trip returns as QM5 to Glen Oaks at :20 & :50 the following hour

QM4: Leave Electchester at :00, return as a QM6 to Lake Success at :00 the following hour

QM5: Leave Glen Oaks at :05 and :35, buses return at :20 and :50 the following hour as a QM2 to Bay Terrace

QM6: Leave Lake Success at :10, return as a QM20 to Bay Terrace at :20 the following hour

QM20: Leave Bay Terrace at :00, returns as a QM4 to Electchester at :00 the following hour

The QM20 at 2:30 PM from Bay Terrace would have a driver break at 6 Avenue 36 at 3:24, and would go out as the 4:00 PM QM1 to Fresh Meadows. All QM20's after from 3:30 PM on would run as QM4's from 34 Street departing at :30.

This would also occur during the weekends and evenings, although the evening setup would be different. PM rush buses would interline based on slots available (in addition since the frequency changes to 30-40 minutes, then back to 60).

Evening:

QM6: Leaves at :30 from Lake Success, arrives 34 Street at :25, departs at :35 to Lake Success (except 5:30 PM trip). The 5:30 PM trip turns into a QM5 to Glen Oaks. 

QM5: Leaves at :00 from Glen Oaks, arrives 36 Street at :54- :59, departs to Glen Oaks at :05-:10 (6:00 and 7:00 PM trips only leave at :10, others at :05).

QM2 Leaves at :00 from Bay Terrance, leaves at :00 as QM2 to Bay Terrace

QM20 Leaves at :30 from Bay Terrance, leaves at :30 as QM20 to Bay Terrace

QM4 Leaves at 0:00 From Electchester, leaves at :45 to Elechester

Weekend:

QM2 Leaves Bay Terrance at :40, leaves to Electchester as a QM4 at :30 from 34 Street

QM4 Leaves Electchester at :10, leaves to Bay Terrace as a QM2 at :00 from 34 Street

QM5 Leaves Glen Oaks at :25, leaves to Lake Success as a QM6 at :40 from 34 Street

QM6 Leaves Lake Success at :10, leaves to Glen Oaks as a QM5 at :10 from 34 Street

Your idea would reduce service on Union Tpke itself west of 188 Street during those times. I believe the QM5 and QM6 would be sufficient with the new schedule. They just need to even out buses (which they did not do), and I always see the QM5's and QM6's with decent loads in the afternoon going to/from Manhattan (although most ridership on the QM5/QM6 comes from east of 188 Street). I think that would even decrease QM1 ridership more, since most midday riders tend ride out until 188 Street (the last few times I've taken the route, I've seen people get on along the 188 Street stops, but no one got on along Union Tpke; this was the more later trips to Manhattan). 

What I believe should happen is that the operators should just make a loop around Manhattan, and go back out to Queens. The QM15 currently does this, and I have no complaints about it. Less operators would be needed at first, unless time needs to be increase on those routes. With relation to that, here's how I would do it:

Return trips originate from 34 Street/3 Avenue, allowing riders to get on buses there instead of walking, taking the M34/34A to 6 Avenue

QM2: Leave Bay Terrace at :20 and :50; :20 trip returns as QM5 to Glen Oaks at :20 & :50 the following hour

QM4: Leave Electchester at :00, return as a QM6 to Lake Success at :00 the following hour

QM5: Leave Glen Oaks at :05 and :35, buses return at :20 and :50 the following hour as a QM2 to Bay Terrace

QM6: Leave Lake Success at :10, return as a QM20 to Bay Terrace at :20 the following hour

QM20: Leave Bay Terrace at :00, returns as a QM4 to Electchester at :00 the following hour

The QM20 at 2:30 PM from Bay Terrace would have a driver break at 6 Avenue 36 at 3:24, and would go out as the 4:00 PM QM1 to Fresh Meadows. All QM20's after from 3:30 PM on would run as QM4's from 34 Street departing at :30.

This would also occur during the weekends and evenings, although the evening setup would be different. PM rush buses would interline based on slots available (in addition since the frequency changes to 30-40 minutes, then back to 60).

Evening:

QM6: Leaves at :30 from Lake Success, arrives 34 Street at :25, departs at :35 to Lake Success (except 5:30 PM trip). The 5:30 PM trip turns into a QM5 to Glen Oaks. 

QM5: Leaves at :00 from Glen Oaks, arrives 36 Street at :54- :59, departs to Glen Oaks at :05-:10 (6:00 and 7:00 PM trips only leave at :10, others at :05).

QM2 Leaves at :00 from Bay Terrance, leaves at :00 as QM2 to Bay Terrace

QM20 Leaves at :30 from Bay Terrance, leaves at :30 as QM20 to Bay Terrace

QM4 Leaves at 0:00 From Electchester, leaves at :45 to Elechester

Weekend:

QM2 Leaves Bay Terrance at :40, leaves to Electchester as a QM4 at :30 from 34 Street

QM4 Leaves Electchester at :10, leaves to Bay Terrace as a QM2 at :00 from 34 Street

QM5 Leaves Glen Oaks at :25, leaves to Lake Success as a QM6 at :40 from 34 Street

QM6 Leaves Lake Success at :10, leaves to Glen Oaks as a QM5 at :10 from 34 Street

To much redundancy on union turnpike....try pulling into a stop with a qm5, 6, 1 46 local n limited....then a qm8 pulls up,qm7 yawn....they need to put a qm20 3rd ave 2 trips am 2 trips pm and then put 2 trips wall street am and pm, this would eleviate some of the people taking qm7,8, parking around fresh meadows.....

And I was talking about the trips out in the afternoon.....the am commute I would not touch....leave it the way it is....but again too much redundancy....

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To much redundancy on union turnpike....try pulling into a stop with a qm5, 6, 1 46 local n limited....then a qm8 pulls up,qm7 yawn....they need to put a qm20 3rd ave 2 trips am 2 trips pm and then put 2 trips wall street am and pm, this would eleviate some of the people taking qm7,8, parking around fresh meadows.....

And I was talking about the trips out in the afternoon.....the am commute I would not touch....leave it the way it is....but again too much redundancy....

IDK about 3 Avenue trips on the QM20. However, I would do Downtown trips as a combo of the QM2/20.

Here's what I had in mind:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z7P2QilxQnLY.kRzQQTiYabvQ&usp=sharing

Going back to Union Turnpike, I agree that there is redundancy with the three lines, but the QM7 and QM8 more less are complementary (that, and the last few QM8's run as SX's). During the rush hour, there should be all those express buses. 

Now, I have been also looking at having QM6 short-turns from 188 Street during the rush hour. I would have QM5's run up 188 Street, then then run Super Express into Manhattan. There would be less QM5's during the rush, but more QM6's, via short-turns. So the QM1 notation would officially be gone (or you could just label the QM6 as the QM1 alternatively, with the full route operating to Lake Success, and short-turns would terminate 188 Street. However, that would only occur during rush hour periods.

IDK about 3 Avenue trips on the QM20. However, I would do Downtown trips as a combo of the QM2/20.

Going back to Union Turnpike, I agree that there is redundancy with the three lines, but the QM7 and QM8 more less are complementary (that, and the last few QM8's run as SX's). During the rush hour, there should be all those express buses. 

Now, I have been also looking at having QM6 short-turns from 188 Street during the rush hour. I would have QM5's run up 188 Street, then then run Super Express into Manhattan. There would be less QM5's during the rush, but more QM6's, via short-turns. So the QM1 notation would officially be gone (or you could just label the QM6 as the QM1 alternatively, with the full route operating to Lake Success, and short-turns would terminate 188 Street. However, that would only occur during rush hour periods.

I'm just saying pulling into a stop with all the service is tough some times...utopia is like crazy, cars parking and double parking at that location, and all the busses...but the buses running super on the lie after fresh meadows....not sure anybody would like that idea, I've driven the qm8 super and the LIE is no fun during rush hr...more like a crawl...but you do have some interesting points....get buses off of union turnpike!

One B/O I was talking to said he wants the rear sign on the MCI's to say if it is a 3rd ave or 6 ave bus, so if he is coming up behind one at a stop going to Manhattan, he can know whether to jump to the next stop or if he needs to stop there since the bus that is already there is actually a different route.

I'm just saying pulling into a stop with all the service is tough some times...utopia is like crazy, cars parking and double parking at that location, and all the busses...but the buses running super on the lie after fresh meadows....not sure anybody would like that idea, I've driven the qm8 super and the LIE is no fun during rush hr...more like a crawl...but you do have some interesting points....get buses off of union turnpike!

I think they need better enforcement of the cars double parking problem. The B/O's seem to be pretty respectful to each other in letting every bus get into the stop...but you obviously have much better knowledge of that than I do!

3 Avenue QM20 bus would be useful as QM20 does have high ridership and I have read on other forum that the new 59 Street route on Queens bound bus has added 15 to 50 minute on each trip. 3 Avenue buses are always faster than 6 Avenue bus. 

3 Avenue QM20 bus would be useful as QM20 does have high ridership and I have read on other forum that the new 59 Street route on Queens bound bus has added 15 to 50 minute on each trip. 3 Avenue buses are always faster than 6 Avenue bus.

59th street is a nightmare....double parked trucks, construction, at some points you have to crawl from one side to the other, like a maze...but QM20 does have high ridership and I wonder why no 3rd ave service...at least 2 am and 2 pm, they did that trial run on Astoria Blvd, figured out it saved no time...I wonder who got that to go thru for a bit? Hell I work there and I have no clue who does scheduling and route adjustments etc. but then again....when you work there you have to just go with the flow....

Remember that the QM4 will run out of Baisley Park (and thus be unable to interline with the other QM's) starting on Sunday 1/3.

Well Perhaps BP and CP could work something out, since they're from the same union (TWU 100). 

Is it possible for buses to utilize Both Memorial Avenue (towards Manhattan), and Booth Memorial Avenue/58 Avenue to avoid that whole fiasco on the LIE (because I agree it gets backed up). The buses operate via College Point Blvd between Booth Memorial and the LIE.

59th street is a nightmare....double parked trucks, construction, at some points you have to crawl from one side to the other, like a maze...but QM20 does have high ridership and I wonder why no 3rd ave service...at least 2 am and 2 pm, they did that trial run on Astoria Blvd, figured out it saved no time...I wonder who got that to go thru for a bit? Hell I work there and I have no clue who does scheduling and route adjustments etc. but then again....when you work there you have to just go with the flow....

I did not see that route anymore effective either. Perhaps maybe if they stayed on 31 Avenue instead, it could've been somewhat faster, but I digress.

As for the QM2/3/20, I would've kept it on 57 Street up to Madison Avenue, then on 59 Street, since I believe that the area around Central Park South causes a lot of delays. The portion east of Madison on 59 Street can also have delays, but not to the extent of Central Park South. So, the Lexington Avenue stop would remain where it is, but either the Madison Avenue stop would be moved to on Madison Avenue at 58 Street, or back to 57 Street at Madison Avenue, however would be moved to where the QM10/12/24 stop (and the QM10/12/24 would be moved to where the QM4 stops). 

Well Perhaps BP and CP could work something out, since they're from the same union (TWU 100). 

Is it possible for buses to utilize Both Memorial Avenue (towards Manhattan), and Booth Memorial Avenue/58 Avenue to avoid that whole fiasco on the LIE (because I agree it gets backed up). The buses operate via College Point Blvd between Booth Memorial and the LIE.

I did not see that route anymore effective either. Perhaps maybe if they stayed on 31 Avenue instead, it could've been somewhat faster, but I digress.

As for the QM2/3/20, I would've kept it on 57 Street up to Madison Avenue, then on 59 Street, since I believe that the area around Central Park South causes a lot of delays. The portion east of Madison on 59 Street can also have delays, but not to the extent of Central Park South. So, the Lexington Avenue stop would remain where it is, but either the Madison Avenue stop would be moved to on Madison Avenue at 58 Street, or back to 57 Street at Madison Avenue, however would be moved to where the QM10/12/24 stop (and the QM10/12/24 would be moved to where the QM4 stops).

Does not matter....that whole area is congested....by the park is good...until you try to cross into 59th by the end of the park....all the way to the bridge....stuffed....its just part of the commute in nyc....the day you retire or work from home will be the best day!

Does not matter....that whole area is congested....by the park is good...until you try to cross into 59th by the end of the park....all the way to the bridge....stuffed....its just part of the commute in nyc....the day you retire or work from home will be the best day!

Well, I guess then you could have the bus on 57 Street and cross the QB like the other expresses do, but rather take a right at Thompson, stay right untill 44 Drive,and turn right at Jackson Avenue, up to Queens Plaza North, and regular route from there. IDK the time savings of that routing over the current one, but with the extra looping, I'd say a few minutes at most.

Well, I guess then you could have the bus on 57 Street and cross the QB like the other expresses do, but rather take a right at Thompson, stay right untill 44 Drive,and turn right at Jackson Avenue, up to Queens Plaza North, and regular route from there. IDK the time savings of that routing over the current one, but with the extra looping, I'd say a few minutes at most.

That's a little too much, don't you think lol.

Idk if that route if safe for coach buses cause I'm pretty sure they have some low hanging trees on a narrow residential road. Residents may not be happy even if its for a few buses 

A lot of driver do go on 57th between 6th and Madison usually off peak though

Why couldn't they just use the service road? I think Booth Memorial and 58th Ave is a little too far out of the way. The MTA would probably add stops over there if you did get buses routed over there. I could see stops being at Utopia, 164th street, Kissena Blvd and Main Street then express to Manhattan.

Why couldn't they just use the service road? I think Booth Memorial and 58th Ave is a little too far out of the way. The MTA would probably add stops over there if you did get buses routed over there. I could see stops being at Utopia, 164th street, Kissena Blvd and Main Street then express to Manhattan.

I did say a while back if it would be nice to have something there it feels like a transit desert there.

Why can't the QM2 &20 take 57th St & use the upper level of the QBB to Queens?

I think this comes down to the (MTA) no wanting to run express bus service in too many areas of Queens that are near any sort of subway or LIRR service, and ones that they do run they would prefer to run them in central areas if you will so that people from various parts of Queens can drive to them.  It may seem redundant, but if those buses are pretty full then I doubt they care much.    Union Turnpike is a straight shoot for the most part and doesn't require too much turns, etc.

You'd have to take the route I decribed earlier, Exit to 21 Street, take 21 Street, Queens Plaza South, then turn onto Nothern Blvd there, or Thomson-39- Northern Blvd, which wouldn't really save much time over the current route. 

You'd have to take the route I decribed earlier, Exit to 21 Street, take 21 Street, Queens Plaza South, then turn onto Nothern Blvd there, or Thomson-39- Northern Blvd, which wouldn't really save much time over the current route. 

MTA say they look into it and decided it was not worth it. 

I don't know how they could come to such a conclusion.  I use the QM2 and since the move to 59th street, you can just crawl along that portion of the route.  In fact the traffic is so bad that I almost I was able to get a QM2 bus that I missed along 6th Avenue by OUTWALKING it to the Madison and 59th street stop. Pretty pathetic but that's how bad it has become.

I think this comes down to the (MTA) no wanting to run express bus service in too many areas of Queens that are near any sort of subway or LIRR service, and ones that they do run they would prefer to run them in central areas if you will so that people from various parts of Queens can drive to them. It may seem redundant, but if those buses are pretty full then I doubt they care much. Union Turnpike is a straight shoot for the most part and doesn't require too much turns, etc.

I agree. Those buses keep a lot of ppl off the E and F, and the time savings of having buses run super express and miss a big part of the existing rider base is negligible. Union gets packed from car traffic and construction, not express buses.

I agree. Those buses keep a lot of ppl off the E and F, and the time savings of having buses run super express and miss a big part of the existing rider base is negligible. Union gets packed from car traffic and construction, not express buses.

Yeah those buses are usually flying down Union Turnpike especially off-peak and weekends, so I have to really pay attention when I use the QM1, QM5 and QM6 to ensure that I don't miss my stop.

Correction to my typos:

-I think this comes down to the  (MTA) not* wanting

-too many turns*

Well, today was not the best start in the early morning. The 10:40 and 11:10 managed to bunch to Midtown, and the 11:40 was late, the 12:40 was more or less on time though. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Just some midday observations.

Please... Most people are still off from work, so it will likely only worsen.

What weird is that some off peak drivers will drive on 57th turn left on madison right on 59th right on 2nd ave and a left on 58th to the upper level then go through a tour of LIC and enter the LIE at the base of the tunnel bus which was originally 10 min late came to the first drop off stop 10 early.

Well, today was not the best start in the early morning. The 10:40 and 11:10 managed to bunch to Midtown, and the 11:40 was late, the 12:40 was more or less on time though. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Just some midday observations.

The need at least a month of adjustment time 

Please... Most people are still off from work, so it will likely only worsen.

There were no new bus schedules on the QM6 I took this morning, naturally. Most stops on Union west of 188th don't have the signs regarding the service change, nor do the buses themselves, so a lot of the old ladies who take the midday buses will probably be pissed when their QM1 doesn't show up. 

Archived