MTA to Cut QM1 service along Union Turnpike - Winter 2016

Via Garibaldi 8

How do the QM5&6 handle LIE traffic on weekends when it's jammed?

The LIE isn't that much of an issue on the QM5 and QM6 on the weekend, since they're heading inbound only. The LIE gets congested more in the outbound direction in the afternoon, so those buses aren't really affected. However, there will be a bit of a delay getting into the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, and the delays can sometimes stretch as far down as Greenpoint, but that isn't as common (most of said congestion only goes back to the Pulaski bridge or 21 Street.

BM5 is exactly right. When they shut down one of the QMT tubes over some weekends for Sandy repairs, it was awful. Just sat there seemingly forever on the LIE

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BM5 is exactly right. When they shut down one of the QMT tubes over some weekends for Sandy repairs, it was awful. Just sat there seemingly forever on the LIE

Yep... One time I went shopping in Whitestone... The ride back was unbelievable... Must've taken almost an hour and 30 minutes on the QM2, spent mainly squeezing into the long line to get into the tunnel.

Yep... One time I went shopping in Whitestone... The ride back was unbelievable... Must've taken almost an hour and 30 minutes on the QM2, spent mainly squeezing into the long line to get into the tunnel.

The worst was over the summer weekends when they had both the QMT construction and major construction on the (E) and (F) so they were running local all weekend. There was just no fast way into the city 

The worst was over the summer weekends when they had both the QMT construction and major construction on the (E) and (F) so they were running local all weekend. There was just no fast way into the city 

lol... You forgot about the LIRR option... I can walk to either Metro-North station in Riverdale (Spuyten Duyvil or the Riverdale station) which I do sometimes on weekends when the weather is nice, but you may have to drive out in Queens to reach the LIRR station.  Unfortunately the QM1, QM5 and QM6 aren't all that close to an LIRR station, which is why they run in the first place.  Geographically I'm in one the most elevated parts of the city, so if you can deal with the staircases and steep hills you can use the express buses or the commuter train.  I'm wondering though, in your case, do QM1, QM5, or QM6 riders use any LIRR stations, and if so which one would be the closest for the folks out in say Fresh Meadows?  I believe the NST folks do use the LIRR station (the Little Neck station).

lol... You forgot about the LIRR option... I can walk to either Metro-North station in Riverdale (Spuyten Duyvil or the Riverdale station) which I do sometimes on weekends when the weather is nice, but you may have to drive out in Queens to reach the LIRR station.  Unfortunately the QM1, QM5 and QM6 aren't all that close to an LIRR station, which is why they run in the first place.  Geographically I'm in one the most elevated parts of the city, so if you can deal with the staircases and steep hills you can use the express buses or the commuter train.  I'm wondering though, in your case, do QM1, QM5, or QM6 riders use any LIRR stations, and if so which one would be the closest for the folks out in say Fresh Meadows?  I believe the NST folks do use the LIRR station (the Little Neck station).

I don't know of any of my neighbors that use LIRR, other than those who live further out east near Bellerose. I can go to Jamaica station or the stations in Forest Hills, but the time it takes to get there would kill any time savings  

The kiddos who made some of the bustime routings definitely got that wrong...it's not the first time either.

It amazes me as to how they didn't catch that yet...or how the riders didn't even report it!

That's what it is.... No one has likely reported it.  When they first rolled out BusTime on Staten Island, I used to communicate directly with them about certain issues and they were very responsive since I guess they wanted it to be successful.

That reminds me of the route change in Manhattan on the X1 on bus time there is a northbound route change on the X1 around the Holland tunnel with a stop added, however, I have never seen buses go that way and when I asked the drivers they all said they weren't aware of it either.  

I don't know of any of my neighbors that use LIRR, other than those who live further out east near Bellerose. I can go to Jamaica station or the stations in Forest Hills, but the time it takes to get there would kill any time savings  

when there is massive backups can the QM5/6 really get to fresh meadows in around 40 minutes or quickly? Or are queens express buses doomed to being slow.

when there is massive backups can the QM5/6 really get to fresh meadows in around 40 minutes or quickly? Or are queens express buses doomed to being slow.

If the jam is in Manhattan, there's really nothing the B/O can do. If it is Queens Blvd that is backed up, some will take alternate routes to save time. 

If the jam is in Manhattan, there's really nothing the B/O can do. If it is Queens Blvd that is backed up, some will take alternate routes to save time. 

The trip to Manhattan is ALWAYS faster than the one going to Queens.  It seems like the drivers focus more on not coming early in Manhattan as opposed to the Queens pick up segment.  I'm not sure why that is either.

The trip to Manhattan is ALWAYS faster than the one going to Queens. It seems like the drivers focus more on not coming early in Manhattan as opposed to the Queens pick up segment. I'm not sure why that is either.

The traffic through Manhattan is just a killer, no way around it. Even late night with B/O's who haul a**, you cant really fly uptown or across 57th

The traffic through Manhattan is just a killer, no way around it. Even late night with B/O's who haul a**, you cant really fly uptown or across 57th

You can on those last few buses around this time of the year since you have far fewer tourists and it's cold out so fewer people traveling.  The 00:30 QM6 trip is really fast.  If I need the last BxM2 (the last one is 00:30 Monday - Friday and on Sundays, and 01:15 on Saturdays), during the week, that QM6 trip is fairly empty and moves well.  I think it's the same deal with the 00:00 QM5 trip.  The QM2 trips to Bay Terrace move ok (i.e 21:00 or 22:00 trip), but the late ones back to Manhattan are by far the fastest.

You think if MTA rerouted queens bound buses via the tunnel bus service would get faster?

Nah. I've been on buses that take the tunnel back and it only saves time if the LIE is moving. The best combo for the Qm1/5/6 is, if the LIE is moving, QBB to LIE via Vernon Blvd or other local streets, then LIE to Main Street, straight up Main and left onto Union Tpke. 

You think if MTA rerouted queens bound buses via the tunnel bus service would get faster?

No....Queens Blvd tends to be faster than the Tunnel/LIE.

Nah. I've been on buses that take the tunnel back and it only saves time if the LIE is moving. The best combo for the Qm1/5/6 is, if the LIE is moving, QBB to LIE via Vernon Blvd or other local streets, then LIE to Main Street, straight up Main and left onto Union Tpke. 

B/o's should be allowed to do both depending on traffic they should not be stuck on a local road when there is no traffic on the highway.

B/o's should be allowed to do both depending on traffic they should not be stuck on a local road when there is no traffic on the highway.

Would be nice, but you're not really saving much time. There are times where dispatch and bustrek will tell operators to use alternate routes if it gets really bad, but other than that, there's really no point. Having to go from 57th Street all the way back down to 36th or so to the tunnel, you might as well take the bridge over.

The real scenario is in Queens really because you have the option of either taking the LIE or Queens Blvd. 9 times out of 10, Queens Blvd does beat the LIE. The Express Lanes along Queens Blvd generally move, it's not a local road by any means unless you're on the service road. When the LIE is screwed up, some ops take the service road along the LIE because sometimes, that's faster than the LIE itself.

I've been frequenting the x64 lately, and they generally move along Queens Blvd. The only slight bottleneck is at the Queens Center Mall area. But once we go through the underpass and go past the light thats after the underpass, the ride gets better really.

Would be nice, but you're not really saving much time. There are times where dispatch and bustrek will tell operators to use alternate routes if it gets really bad, but other than that, there's really no point. Having to go from 57th Street all the way back down to 36th or so to the tunnel, you might as well take the bridge over.

The real scenario is in Queens really because you have the option of either taking the LIE or Queens Blvd. 9 times out of 10, Queens Blvd does beat the LIE. The Express Lanes along Queens Blvd generally move, it's not a local road by any means unless you're on the service road. When the LIE is screwed up, some ops take the service road along the LIE because sometimes, that's faster than the LIE itself.

I've been frequenting the x64 lately, and they generally move along Queens Blvd. The only slight bottleneck is at the Queens Center Mall area. But once we go through the underpass and go past the light thats after the underpass, the ride gets better really.

I was on QM5 yesterday and the new bike lane on Queens Boulevard did add time to trip compared to before. 

Why in the hell would they put a bike lane on Queens Blvd?  That makes NO sense at all.

It's one of the few straight shots across Queens and it links directly to the QB. Before the lanes it was still used by cyclists, they were just operating more dangerously.

The city cares a lot about cyclist. Even if a street has bike lanes you may still see people riding on the sidewalks.

Even if a street has sidewalks, you can see pedestrians in the bike lane, and even if a street has parking spots, you can see cars in the bike lane. See how this works both ways?

It's one of the few straight shots across Queens and it links directly to the QB. Before the lanes it was still used by cyclists, they were just operating more dangerously.

Even if a street has sidewalks, you can see pedestrians in the bike lane, and even if a street has parking spots, you can see cars in the bike lane. See how this works both ways?

Yeah they are at least making a attempt to improve Queens Blvd with its nickname the "Boulevard of Death".

The war on the car: Push people to use public transport, bikes and make car use/ownership difficult and costly.  All NYC needs now is rickshaws and pre-modern China has been achieved.  Funny though: China's moving toward more car availability for the masses, and the US is going the opposite direction.

Better idea: Skip the bike lanes and put a bus lane down, and tell cyclists to fight it out with the buses -- like they do in London.  And enforce the idea that bus drivers have the right of way (an unwritten understanding in London).  (Quick fact: Cyclists have bloodflow reduced to Mr. Johnson and the Boys and naturally bumps in the road couldn't help either.  Another bonus, I guess, in that population control is achieved indirectly.  And helps sell more blue pills.  The things not mentioned when extolling the use of the bicycle.)

Back to the topic:  Anyone notice customer complaints regarding the service changes now that it's been in place a bit?

The city cares a lot about cyclist. Even if a street has bike lanes you may still see people riding on the sidewalks.

I'm not questioning all of that. Queens Blvd has been known to be one of the deadliest boulevards around.  Seems mind boggling to place bike lanes there.  Not only that but the traffic is a mess there too.  Why make it even more congested and put more cyclists at risk?

To see how many suckers take the bait and attempt to use it. :rolleyes:

I've seen deadlier roads.

Very cute smart one.  <_<

I was on QM5 yesterday and the new bike lane on Queens Boulevard did add time to trip compared to before. 

Really?

The few times I've had to use the 6th Avenue and Madison Avenue Expresses, it seemed okay to me, especially since the bike lanes are on the service road. I've been taking the x64 all week, and I've gotten to Liberty Avenue at a pretty decent pace at about an hour.

Perhaps it depends on the time, because I've been taking that 4:15 trip from 23rd and 1st and we seem to breeze through until Queens Center Mall, then breeze after 63rd Drive.

Archived