R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Meh, kind of expected. I mean who else would be set to build the R211s besides a banned company.

4 minutes ago, Lance said:

I kind of wanted someone new to get in on this contract. With Bombardier out of the running for the near future, Kawasaki has a near monopoly on train cars here.

Don't think CRRC might have a shot beyond the R211? Especially after the results with CTA and MBTA.

6 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

What would an appropriate terminal look like? I know the 8th Ave one isn't good enough, but I want to know how a high-throughput terminal might look like, and why the (MTA) isn't building one for the (L)?

In addition to what others said - they could add a couple of more trains per hour with the current terminal situation right now, the limiting factor is power supply. Others, including Ben Kabak from Second Avenue Sagas, suggested that the MTA take advantage of the opportunity to start building tail tracks west of 8th ave. The MTA responded, and basically said the amount of extra capacity tail tracks would add wouldn't be necessary because they don't project such extra capacity would be needed in the near future. Agree or disagree, that's why they're not doing it. 

This really stood out to me

As a result, one of the most striking changes will be invisible to commuters: R211 cars will be equipped with monitoring computers that will relay information in real-time about its performance — a health check of sorts — so that an ailing train can be diagnosed even before it has been hauled back to the repair shop.

To further tackle the issue, the contract stipulates that the Kawasaki cars adhere to specific reliability requirements, as a warranty. The level of performance that the cars’ critical systems — such as doors and brakes, some of the largest contributors to delays — are required to demonstrate, based in part in how many miles they travel before breaking down, is more than double that of past contracts, according to the agency. If they fail to meet those levels, Kawasaki itself must shoulder the cost of any repairs, instead of the authority.

17 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Isolated services like the (L) are an exception. On most lines, services would need to share that new space with 2 to 3 others. So in reality, what LGA said isn't wrong. And even so, we're not going to start seeing the true benefits until the Manhattan trunk lines start getting upgraded. And in the case of the QBL, both 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue (which we know is next), would need to be equipped before the true benefits can be seen. 

Branching is not some new foreign concept.

The main issue, really, is reverse branching, which is pretty bad on the B Division. That being said, you could theoretically eliminate a lot of that; the (F) going via 63rd with cross-platform transfer to the (Q) obviates the need for a Broadway local on QBL, and you could untangle DeKalb pretty easily.

3 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Don't think CRRC might have a shot beyond the R211? Especially after the results with CTA and MBTA.

Perhaps.  But let them prove themselves first.  This isn't the time for bringing new players to the table.  As it is, as this order wraps up, we'll be looking at the replacements for the R62/As and R68/As.  There will be plenty of work to go around, and by that point perhaps Bombardier will get out of the rut they're in.

2 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Perhaps.  But let them prove themselves first.  This isn't the time for bringing new players to the table.  As it is, as this order wraps up, we'll be looking at the replacements for the R62/As and R68/As.  There will be plenty of work to go around, and by that point perhaps Bombardier will get out of the rut they're in.

Yep I don't disagree why I said "Especially after the results with CTA and MBTA" .  

That doesn't mean Siemens-Alstom won't be a subsystem contractor. I'm interested to see who Kawasaki contracts the propulsion system out to. Maybe it'll be a split fleet again; maybe we'll see an entirely new propulsion supplier (Mitsubishi, Toshiba), and maybe as some have been saying, we'll see permanent magnet synchronous motors.

2 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

That doesn't mean Siemens-Alstom won't be a subsystem contractor. I'm interested to see who Kawasaki contracts the propulsion system out to. Maybe it'll be a split fleet again; maybe we'll see an entirely new propulsion supplier (Mitsubishi, Toshiba), and maybe as some have been saying, we'll see permanent magnet synchronous motors.

I'm hoping for the Siemens Propulsion again, it'd be an interesting sight to see

Doing some math I realized.

If we have 575 R211's we could replace ALL R46's

We'll have another 230 to replace the R32's

And another 50 to replace the R42's

So we need AT LEAST 850 R211's to replace the older fleets.

Including the SIR order fleet, we should expect at least 925 R211's  to replace the aging fleet.

Then (knowing Kawasaki) we should expect another 500-1000 or so.

Let's see what'll happen

Edited by LGA Link N train

7 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Only 220 R32s are in service. 10 of them are used for work service at 207 and 36-38 Sts. 

I only think about 160 of them will remain for the shutdown, while the rest get replaced by the 211's. 

222 in passenger service.

10 in work service.

232 cars total.

Although originally 240 as there was another 8 stored at Fresh Pond Yard/East New York Yard in 2011 and 2012, but it's gone now unfortunately. Would have been better if they had kept it since the B Division was short on cars at the time.

@Coney Island Av, I know. But it's not like I'm yelling at you, am I lol. We're behind a computer screen.

Edited by Jemorie

48 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Doing some math I realized.

If we have 575 R211's we could replace ALL R46's

We'll have another 230 to replace the R32's

And another 50 to replace the R42's

So we need AT LEAST 850 R211's to replace the older fleets.

Including the SIR order fleet, we should expect at least 925 R211's  to replace the aging fleet.

Then (knowing Kawasaki) we should expect another 500-1000 or so.

Let's see what'll happen

Your math is incorrect. It takes 940 cars to replace the R46 fleet. 

Also remember- Some portion of the R32/42 will end up being replaced by the R179. While they may not be retired immediately, at least some of them will not be needed after the Canarsie Tubes reopen. 

56 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

It's possible that the maximum number of R211's we could potentially have is 2,130. If that's the case, we could possibly retire a few R68's early

but let's not forget, some of them are going to Staten Island

Staten Island won't take up much of the R211 fleet (if those numbers turn out to be even true), only 60-80 cars are needed.