R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major Update: MTA is in the process of speeding up the R211 project, as final design configuration in now basically complete. Originally, MTA wanted to award the contract after the production R179's went into service. They have now decided that not only will they not wait for the R179 evaluation, but Bombardier now has officially been disqualified from bidding on the contract.

At this time, My money is on Kawasaki. Even if Alstom gets part of the order, Kawasaki will be still building them. No matter who bids, I will bet anyone anything that it goes to Kawasaki. 

Totally agreed, Kawasaki's got this.

Why is Bombardier disqualified? Are they disqualified completely?

They have absolutely no chance at getting the R211 order. Yes they are disqualified completely. That means if they submit a bid for the contract MTA has no plans on evaluating it or even giving it consideration. The reason they are disqualified is because MTA is not happy at ALL with the R179 order, and the delays are costing the MTA about $50 Million dollars. At the end of the day MTA will be compensated, however, the last straw was the fact that the R179 should have been here about 2 weeks ago according to the revised schedule. It's wasn't. So from this day forward, they are disqualified until further notice. If the MTA could cancel the R179 order and double up the R211 order they would..... They are pissed like nothing I have seen in over a decade.

Too bad they couldn't have gone with a 160 option instead. 179 was originally supposed to be the next generation car, like the 211 is now. When they decided to scrap the 44's instead of the 32's and 42's, it somehow got bumped around, so that the 179's are now acting like an extension of the 160's.

Dayum take a chill pill MTA...

The pilot test train was supposed to be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2014. It is now the second quarter of 2016 and the pilot set still has not been delivered. On top of that, these delays are causing them to loose $50 million. They have every reason to be pissed that the first 10 cars of an order are 2 years late and are still not on property.

Dayum take a chill pill MTA...

When you're throwing money on SMSing trains that are over 50 years old well past their life expectancy while investing in one of your top builders which are not delivery on there word or schedule for brand new trains, you'd be pretty hot as well.

TA should give Bombardier another chance based off the fact every train Bombardier built for MTA have been great cars (R62A, R142, M7, Shoreliner cars on Metro North). 

I'd bet my bottom dollar the 179s will be good cars as well, with a 1 million between miles MDBF at there peak like the 160s did.

As someone who is a fan of Bombardier products such as the Flexity tram, and T1 and R62A subway cars, the suggestion that we should give them another chance because they managed to deliver good quality trains is ludicrous.

You know who else makes good trains, and doesn't horribly delay their deliveries? Kawasaki.

I have no idea why some of you are acting so surprised that Bombardier is out of consideration as a prospective bidder for the 211 order. In the past five years, there have been three separate legal suits filed against Bombardier, two of which due to production problems. The company settled a suit against the Deutsche Bahn that was filed for about half a billion dollars. Ongoing delays on the TTC's light rail vehicle order have forced a delay in opening their new streetcar route. With problems like this along with the two year delay in delivering the 179 order, the MTA wisely made the right choice in disqualifying Bombardier from the bidding process.

TA should give Bombardier another chance based off the fact every train Bombardier built for MTA have been great cars (R62A, R142, M7, Shoreliner cars on Metro North). 

I'd bet my bottom dollar the 179s will be good cars as well, with a 1 million between miles MDBF at there peak like the 160s did.

I don't have any doubt the trains won't be good cars, but Bombardier is having too many issues and MTA can't afford another late order. They have already given them chance after chance over the last 2 years to correct the issues. Bombardier has revised the delivery schedule several times now and the trains still aren't here. Not only that, but the R211 will be a technology leap from what we have now. It needs to go to Kawasaki. No other manufacture has delivered the about of cars they have. The largest order in US history was for the R160. The second largest order ever will be the R211. We don't have time to wait around and see if they can get their act together. They can't even get cars to us on time which are near identical to the ones we already have. If it was my decision, they would have been disqualified about 6 months ago. I wouldn't dare risk awarding them a contract for a train of this caliber. Plus there will be the SIR cars, and most likely an open gangway option. Bombardier was supposed to prove they were worthy of bidding on the contract. They have failed miserably!

I have no idea why some of you are acting so surprised that Bombardier is out of consideration as a prospective bidder for the 211 order. In the past five years, there have been three separate legal suits filed against Bombardier, two of which due to production problems. The company settled a suit against the Deutsche Bahn that was filed for about half a billion dollars. Ongoing delays on the TTC's light rail vehicle order have forced a delay in opening their new streetcar route. With problems like this along with the two year delay in delivering the 179 order, the MTA wisely made the right choice in disqualifying Bombardier from the bidding process.

Facts!!

We should have seen Kawasaki getting the LIRR/MN M9 order as a sign that the mta was not  happy with bombardier.  Also has Kawasaki ever built a open gangway train before?

Of course Kawasaki has built open gangway trains. They are among the largest manufactures in the world, and they are all over Asia. Most of their trains are open gangway.

Different plants.

For comparison, Toronto's tram order is disgustingly delayed, whereas the new cab cars for GO Transit are coming in without any significant delays. They originate from different plants.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Bombardier uses the same factory for NYC and Toronto so if Toronto cars are struggling so will NYC's. It's so bad in Toronto, they are now accepting cars, for just working. They stop checking if the aesthetics are done correctly which they are not.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, Bombardier uses the same factory for NYC and Toronto so if Toronto cars are struggling so will NYC's. It's so bad in Toronto, they are now accepting cars, for just working. They stop checking if the aesthetics are done correctly which they are not.  

No.

Toronto's cars have body shells made in Mexico, which are then trucked up to Thunder Bay for finishing. The NYC cars' shells are made in La Pocatière, and then trucked to Plattbsurgh for finishing.

What aesthetic issues are there in Toronto?

So I take it that these cars will definitely not come when they are scheduled to. Typical MTA.

You think the MTA is to blame for this?

Christ.

Now that Bombardier is practically on the outside looking in, are there any other qualified manufacturers being considered besides favored Kawasaki? As I'm sure you all know, when bidding on contracts, especially one as expensive as the R211 will be, it's best to have competition for obvious reasons.

Now that Bombardier is practically on the outside looking in, are there any other qualified manufacturers being considered besides favored Kawasaki? As I'm sure you all know, when bidding on contracts, especially one as expensive as the R211 will be, it's best to have competition for obvious reasons.

It's possible Alstom may get a part of the R211 order too, similar to how the R160s were made.

The MTA is also looking for a Chinese bidder I believe.

Edited by ShadeJay

So I take it that these cars will definitely not come when they are scheduled to. Typical MTA.

What are you basing this conclusion of off? The contract hasn't even been awarded yet....... How is MTA to blame for the failures of another manufacturer?

The only thing MTA is to be blamed for is the fact that the technical evaluation of Kawasaki's R179 was much higher than that of Bombardier's, however they won the contract pretty much because they were the lowest bidder.

No-one else is qualified, yet the Chinese company building Chicago's new cars are interested in submitting a bid.

What are you basing this conclusion of off? The contract hasn't even been awarded yet....... How is MTA to blame for the failures of another manufacturer?

The only thing MTA is to be blamed for is the fact that the technical evaluation of Kawasaki's R179 was much higher than that of Bombardier's, however they won the contract pretty much because they were the lowest bidder.

No-one else is qualified, yet the Chinese company building Chicago's new cars are interested in submitting a bid.

Thank you.