R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

What aesthetic issues are there in Toronto?

If things aren't placed correctly like hand rails, decals, or any other simple stuff do not interfere with the trams functionality, they will be accepted. TTC need their street trams badly, lowering their standards a bit helps them to accept more trams so that they can be running sooner. 

Edited by IAlam

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But do you have any specific examples of that occurring? I've photoed all but 3 of the currently existing cars and the only aesthetic discrepancies I have seen are the colors of the front panels, which were swapped out after collisions with dumb ass motorists.

Correct design:

23862589560_a52c7ed075.jpgToronto Transit Commission 4408 - 03 by Andrew P., on Flickr

After collision (note the left (open) side of the car):

27359840345_ddba3a0db3.jpgToronto Transit Commission 4411 - 01 by Andrew P., on Flickr

But do you have any specific examples of that occurring? I've photoed all but 3 of the currently existing cars and the only aesthetic discrepancies I have seen are the colors of the front panels, which were swapped out after collisions with dumb ass motorists.

From what I'm aware, it's mostly minor errors in the interiors. I wish I could find the article again, but I read it over a month ago on the Facebook Group.

Major Update: MTA is in the process of speeding up the R211 project, as final design configuration in now basically complete. Originally, MTA wanted to award the contract after the production R179's went into service. They have now decided that not only will they not wait for the R179 evaluation, but Bombardier now has officially been disqualified from bidding on the contract.

At this time, My money is on Kawasaki. Even if Alstom gets part of the order, Kawasaki will be still building them. No matter who bids, I will bet anyone anything that it goes to Kawasaki.

MTA could give Kawasaki the entire R211 order.

• 2 weeks later...

No-one else is qualified, yet the Chinese company building Chicago's new cars are interested in submitting a bid.

Not sure how the following news will affect the decision of MTA for R211: 

http://statestimesreview.com/2016/07/05/singapore-government-cover-up-embarrassing-refund-of-faulty-mrt-trains-from-china/

Singapore is returning 26 of 35 train sets built by CSR (Chinese manufacturer) and Kawasaki, due to critical structural issues.

Not sure how the following news will affect the decision of MTA for R211:

http://statestimesreview.com/2016/07/05/singapore-government-cover-up-embarrassing-refund-of-faulty-mrt-trains-from-china/

Singapore is returning 26 of 35 train sets built by CSR (Chinese manufacturer) and Kawasaki, due to critical structural issues.

Like I said, they (CSR) aren't qualified anyway so I don't see it going to anyone other than Kawasaki. They aren't actually returning Kawasaki trains. That was a joint venture and the structural issues are on CSR. Where all the trains are being returned to. It would be like if Alstom failed, and we had to return R160's.... Kawasaki is only involved by supply chain default... CSR was a fairly new comer and Kawasaki provided logistics and technical assistance. Kawasaki didn't have anything to do with their newest trains. Not only that, but Kawasaki doesn't make any of our trains in China anyway, so this wouldn't affect us in any form. Except for that fact that this just may strengthen Kawasaki's position as CSR would be bidding against them if they did by some chance get qualified. Edited by East New York

In light yet another R179 delay that I was able to confirm today, I am now hearing that MTA would like to introduce the R211 sooner than later.

Man it's a rough time for Northeast TAs. First NJT has to cancel its projects due to no money from the TTF, then SEPTA has to pull all of their SLVs, and now the MTA has another delay with the R179 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

In light yet another R179 delay that I was able to confirm today, I am now hearing that MTA would like to introduce the R211 sooner than later. 

Have the R179 order cancelled or reduce, and increase the R211 order, with the best R32s holding out.

Even if the R179's were here a large chunk of R32's will still be running until the first of the 211's arrive, if they order the R211's faster then the remaining R32's would be gone by 2020-1 instead of 2022

i doubt the R211s will be here by 2020

750 new @NYCTSubway cars anticipated to have open gangway design. More open spaces means more passenger mobility, less crowding. @NYGovCuomo

Bidding to start at end of July for 1,025 new @NYCTSubway cars. @NYGovCuomo emphasizes proposed new features.

...And look who's trying to suck that glory up.

The R42s are beyond done. Better to keep all 222 remaining R32s than keeping one R42.

Not necessarily.  The R26s and R28s were in much worse shape already in the mid-1990s, yet they managed to hang on until 2002.  And they were all carbon steel; at least the R42s are mostly stainless.

Not necessarily. The R26s and R28s were in much worse shape already in the mid-1990s, yet they managed to hang on until 2002. And they were all carbon steel; at least the R42s are mostly stainless.

I see why you are saying that, and it makes sense, but the R42s are more than 45 years old at this point, even though in the 1980's most subway cars went to the dumps. The only reason they are even here now is because of the R179s and their issues.

I don't normally get too excited by most things. But this...

If it ever does happen. It needs to happen yesterday.

R211 wise, that's going to my favorite model.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk