R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a big fan of the split front destination sign. Looks clunky to me. I'd rather they put all that information in one place, whether it's the top or the side of the door.

I think it makes sense. Imagine how overshadowed the words would be if they were under the bullet. Secondly, having the destination sign up top gets rid of the dead space the older renderings had there.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

No. The side signs are still there and Mr. Cuomo who is trying to take all the glory doesn't even have his facts right. Proposals have already been drafted by Kawasai and Bombardier...

Big news! R211 bidding is to start by end of this month:

https://twitter.com/MTA/status/755062291058614273

...and include 750 open-gangway cars!

https://twitter.com/MTA/status/755063401945133056

:D  :D  :D

And yes, they want to increase the order of open-gangway trains which was expected.... Kawasaki has open-gangway train already operational.

Sp they're removing the side signs completely?

I doubt it. The front is probably an addition.

No. The side signs are still there and Mr. Cuomo who is trying to take all the glory doesn't even have his facts right. Proposals have already been drafted by Kawasai and Bombardier...

And yes, they want to increase the order of open-gangway trains which was expected.... Kawasaki has open-gangway train already operational.

So they already bid for it?

No. The side signs are still there and Mr. Cuomo who is trying to take all the glory doesn't even have his facts right. Proposals have already been drafted by Kawasai and bumbardier...

That's it we already know who got the R211s. Bumbardier shouldn't even be considered for NYC service anymore.

Also, are you saying that Kawasaki already built an open-gangway R211, or are you referring to other cars they made?

58 inch doors? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're finally doing this, but an extra 8 inches doesn't seem like it'll help much. 

Look familiar? lol

Ntfl-exterior-platform.jpg

Was just about to say the same thing. I said when the first mockup was shown that there was some resemblance, but this is...WOW

Not complaining though, that's a sexy design

Edited by CDTA

I don't think adding colors and some little decorations could increase the costs a lot...

btw....I think USB ports are not necessary for subway cars, but if they do like to put charging stations in cars, maybe they could consider qi wireless chagring pad? At least there won't be ports for people to put gum into :lol:

I love that they expanded the number of open-gangway trains! Finally, an easier way to add capacity. The trains look great. I love the design, and I love the big bullet and the destination on the front. The color on the side looks great. USB ports are unnecessary. I hope the Wi-Fi leads to more flexible announcements, and perhaps the train crew will know when there are unscheduled disrruptions. The only thing they need is the reintroduction of the RFW. We will all foam like crazy if that happened.

I don't like how Cuomo took credit for it. I agree that this is a smokescreen. He is trying to make it seem like he supports transit. He vetoed the lockbox bill, he vetoed a bill that would have allowed for two free transfers, and he has withheld funding from the MTA. He is proposing stupid things such as Wi-Fi on buses. They might be ferari-like, but no one rides the bus because it looks sexy, and they don't ride the bus for Wi-Fi. They ride transit to get places they need in a quick and efficient manner. The better route to take would be in increasing service, ordering even more subway cars, installing dedicated bus lanes, and building new subway lines.

I love that there is a neighborhood map on the outside of the stations. The new countdown clocks look great.

It would seem that I am in the minority then. Even extending the cab door up into that space, to me, would clean up the look significantly. As for the front bullet, I'd do it like the R110B's front curtain sign for the  (A) and  (C) readings.

But I guess my design aesthetics are different from all of yours.

Have you guys seen the renderings on Channel 7 today?

http://abc7ny.com/traffic/renderings-see-reimagined-subway-cars-station-renovations/1431502/

It's the REAL design!

Wifi and charging stations and flip seats have been confirmed!

Have you been paying attention to the thread? This has already been confirmed.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app