R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Well specifically designed SIR R211's are suppose to be coupled in non-permenant sets, like the R44's are now.

And to whoever said the R211's are gonna finish off the remaining R32's, that's not gonna happen. At least for a while, because right now the B division is having a car shortage, and I honestly don't know how the MTA IS going to bring back the (W) without affecting the (N) or (Q).

Sending R68's to Staten Island is a good idea as well, so I support this idea.

Now, when the R211's start coming they're going to start replacing the bad condition R32's and possibly the R16's. What this means is that the (A) will become almost fully NTT and the (C) as well, while bumping some fleets to other lines such as the (G).

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well specifically designed SIR R211's are suppose to be coupled in non-permenant sets, like the R44's are now.

And to whoever said the R211's are gonna finish off the remaining R32's, that's not gonna happen. At least for a while, because right now the B division is having a car shortage, and I honestly don't know how the MTA IS going to bring back the (W) without affecting the (N) or (Q).

Now, when the R211's start coming they're going to start replacing the bad condition R32's and possibly the R16's. What this means is that the (A) will become almost fully NTT and the (C) as well, while bumping some fleets to other lines such as the (G).

R16s? Some were retired in 1983 and some were scrapped in 1987. If you mean the R160s you are insane. I think you mean R46s. Please proof read. It helps a lot.

< And to whoever said the R211's are gonna finish off the remaining R32's, that's not gonna happen.>

Of course it will. The R179's will finish off the R42's and perhaps a few R32's. The remaining will be first to go wit the R211, even if some R46's linger beyond the R211's. The R32's will be 56 years old by 2020.

Why? Just shove the garbage to Staten Island. They have suffered long enough. Give them new cars, not hand-me-downs.

First, they are NOT garbage, enough with the BS name calling towards the SMEEs.

Second, the MTA truely intends on bringing new trains to the Staten Island Railway regardless, so R68s to Staten Island, don't see it happening.

First, they are NOT garbage, enough with the BS name calling towards the SMEEs.

Second, the MTA truely intends on bringing new trains to the Staten Island Railway regardless, so R68s to Staten Island, don't see it happening.

I like the R68s. I did not mean that they are garbage like you are interpreting it. I was trying to emphasize how Staten Island has not gotten what it has deserved and it does not need old subway cars. Unless they are R32s!

SI needs a more suburban seating arrangement, whatever type of car, or they will be far more standees. They could even make due with 3 sets of doors spread out, no worse in ingress/egress for a 300' long train than now.

They did have such an arrangement temporarily.

In June 15, 1972, seventeen-year-old air conditioned coaches on loan from the Long Island Rail Road went into service on the SIRT. The three car train made one round trip during the morning, and operated again during the afternoon peak. As a result of previous tests, the edges of the platforms at the Saint George Terminal were trimmed for extra clearance required for the 85 foot cars. The cars were only 15 feet longer than the 45 cars in operation, but the LIRR cars' seating capacity of 123 passengers, was almost double the limit of the other coaches.[98]

MU-2509-2-Car-Train-Princes-Bay-Staten-I

MP72s.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/46987-borrowed-lirr-coaches-on-sirt/

Edited by Union Tpke

They did have such an arrangement temporarily.

In June 15, 1972, seventeen-year-old air conditioned coaches on loan from the Long Island Rail Road went into service on the SIRT. The three car train made one round trip during the morning, and operated again during the afternoon peak. As a result of previous tests, the edges of the platforms at the Saint George Terminal were trimmed for extra clearance required for the 85 foot cars. The cars were only 15 feet longer than the 45 cars in operation, but the LIRR cars' seating capacity of 123 passengers, was almost double the limit of the other coaches.[98]

MU-2509-2-Car-Train-Princes-Bay-Staten-I

MP72s.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/46987-borrowed-lirr-coaches-on-sirt/

Dam Staten Island was a forest back then lmao

The R211's are replacing remaining R32's (about 150-160 cars would remain after the R179) and most of the R46's

I would think all of the R46s. You can't assume that just because some cars that survived their time of death, it'll happen again. Remember, there are also options and fleet growth cars. The math points to all if them going.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

< clearance required for the 85 foot cars. The cars were only 15 feet longer than the 45 cars in operation,>

They were brought over because the old MU's were falling apart, which were 67 feet long, and the R44s were late. The MP72's were 81' long. They still could not be used on the crossover in the tunnel. (The MP75 Worlds Fair cars were 85 feet long). They were surplus during the 1972 -1973 time frame as there more than what was needed for the West Hempstead Branch, and not many had been converted into diesel push pull coaches at that time. 

It appears the R179's, which seem to be doing as badly in deliveries as the CAF Viewliner cars, will replace 50 R42's and about 62 R32's.

< clearance required for the 85 foot cars. The cars were only 15 feet longer than the 45 cars in operation,>

They were brought over because the old MU's were falling apart, which were 67 feet long, and the R44s were late. The MP72's were 81' long. They still could not be used on the crossover in the tunnel. (The MP75 Worlds Fair cars were 85 feet long). They were surplus during the 1972 -1973 time frame as there more than what was needed for the West Hempstead Branch, and not many had been converted into diesel push pull coaches at that time. 

It appears the R179's, which seem to be doing as badly in deliveries as the CAF Viewliner cars, will replace 50 R42's and about 62 R32's.

Where did you get the number 62 from?

Someone said above 150-160 R32's would survive the R179. Subtract the higher number from the current 222, which does not include any garbage or work train versions. 

That would just enough to about cover 20 sets of J/Z trains, plus a few R143, R160, or R179 thrown in for shop margin. I assume all the C, L, and M trains would be NTT, which covers Central Park West and the re-gentrified areas of Brooklyn. East of ENY is politically impotent and the place to throw old equipment. 

< when the R179 comes the R32's will no longer be on the (J).>

There will be around somewhere. Their AC can't handle the C in  the summer, they can't run on the L with CBTC , nor the M with OPTO. R32 MDBF's are not very good, so they'll leave them on the J where they can cause much less disruption to fewer people.

< when the R179 comes the R32's will no longer be on the (J).>

There will be around somewhere. Their AC can't handle the C in  the summer, they can't run on the L with CBTC , nor the M with OPTO. R32 MDBF's are not very good, so they'll leave them on the J where they can cause much less disruption to fewer people.

NTTs have shorter run times over the williamsburg bridge on average. They won't be on the J.

The J is a low density operation. If R32's mean a longer running time overall (which is not really true anyway) the J is where they belong.

The WBB is the least used of all East River subway crossings.

Not when the (L) shuts down under the river

When the R179 comes the R32's will no longer be on the (J).

So I guess they'll return back to the (C)? After all, there aren't many other options for the 32s as I cannot see any other yard taking them on. I thought they'd keep the 32s on the (J) simply to avoid having to shift them from the (C) in the summer time, which is part of the reason why the (C) is currently using 160s as half of the line's fleet.

NTTs have shorter run times over the williamsburg bridge on average. They won't be on the J.

On average, how much slower are the 32s than the 160s running across the bridge anyway?