R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

So I guess they'll return back to the (C)? After all, there aren't many other options for the 32s as I cannot see any other yard taking them on. I thought they'd keep the 32s on the (J) simply to avoid having to shift them from the (C) in the summer time, which is part of the reason why the (C) is currently using 160s as half of the line's fleet.

On average, how much slower are the 32s than the 160s running across the bridge anyway?

As for the R32's the only two choices as of now are the (A) and (G) after the 179's comes in but that is all subject to change

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the R32's the only two choices as of now are the (A) and (G) after the 179's comes in but that is all subject to change

I would put more money on the (G) as it runs out of CIY and they maintain everything. Plus the fact that the (G) will need the extra cars during the (L) shutdown.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Nope, The (B) is out because of the Montague st tube situation. 

Not necessarily. 

In fact, it would be disingenuous to say that one specific car assignment plan is set right now to be go in to effect come 2019. There are a couple options still floating around at the moment.

If the R32s go to the (G) are they going to be full length trains?

No matter what, the G will be full length when Canarsie shuts down, regardless of the car type(s) assigned to the line.

Edited by Dj Hammers

In fact, it would be disingenuous to say that one specific car assignment plan is set right now to be go in to effect come 2019. There are a couple options still floating around at the moment.

The buffs will never understand this. Like a bunch of alcoholic gamblers who wake up hungover in Vegas after last night's bender with those hookers who were doing blow on the roof of their hotel until 6AM only to discover it's Super Bowl week, they will argue incessantly over all the "odds" by creating hypothetical permutations of car moves, even though it demonstrates no actual knowledge and ultimately creates no usable information for archival purposes later in life. Then they will argue back and forth on this topic for literally years, until something actually happens, although it is reasonable to expect that something else may change between now and then also, rendering ALL of the railfan, um, "proposals" obsolete. All this, so that in the unlikely event that nothing else actually does change, one of them can be crowned "king of the turds" when the MTA makes a decision that has not been reached at this time which loosely coincides with a post that by then will be many years old. And as a reward for their oddsmaking prowess, the King of Turds can post "I told you guys" on a discussion board at some future date.

But I guess you said it more diplomatically....

Remember, according to the MTA spokes person, she DID say that the displaced cats from the (L) will go to the (J)(M) and (G) when Carnarsie shuts down since at least 6 or 8 train sets will not be used because of the break in service.

Remember, according to the MTA spokes person, she DID say that the displaced cats from the (L) will go to the (J)(M) and (G) when Carnarsie shuts down since at least 6 or 8 train sets will not be used because of the break in service.

Even if all the plans were settled at the moment, this would not necessarily mean cars are moving from the L to the G.

I am not saying the following is happening, but say what happens is something along the lines of L R160s move to J, J R32s move to D, D R68s move to G. etc. 

The actual cars of the L wouldn't be going to the G, but the effective capacity of those cars would be, through the displacement of other cars. There is no need for the MTA to specify further as where each individual car is running does not matter to those reading the MTA press releases.  

I understand why Art Vandelay would take it with a grain of salt that the L train car are moving to the G but the NYCT president, not the spokesperson Javier, did say that.

Also, don't we have a little issue with the R32 roll signs ? The last time I checked the set of (B) rollsigns still say West End and the (D) rollsigns still say Brighton.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I understand why Art Vandelay would take it with a grain of salt that the L train car are moving to the G but the NYCT president, not the spokesperson Javier, did say that.

Also, don't we have a little issue with the R32 roll signs ? The last time I checked the set of (B) rollsigns still say West End and the (D) rollsigns still say Brighton.

R32s ran on the Brighton Line after 2004 and no one was confused... So the West End/Brighton issue is no big deal.

There could be up to 1545 R211s according to the RFP that was issued on Friday.

Source: http://web.mta.info/nyct/procure/contracts/R34211sol.pdf

1). A base order of 285 cars comprised of 10 open gangway cars (R211T) for the NYCT “B” Division, 75 cars for the Staten Island Railway (R211S) and 200 cars for the NYCT “B” Division (R211A). 

2). In addition there will be an option for 740 R211T or R211A cars for the NYCT “B” Division. 

3). There will also be an additional option for up to 520 Cars for the NYCT “B” Division.

There could be up to 1545 R211s according to the RFP that was issued on Friday.

Source: http://web.mta.info/nyct/procure/contracts/R34211sol.pdf

1). A base order of 285 cars comprised of 10 open gangway cars (R211T) for the NYCT “B” Division, 75 cars for the Staten Island Railway (R211S) and 200 cars for the NYCT “B” Division (R211A).

2). In addition there will be an option for 740 R211T or R211A cars for the NYCT “B” Division.

3). There will also be an additional option for up to 520 Cars for the NYCT “B” Division.

This isn't new info, but as I have said, the math allows for a complete replacement of the R46 and any remaining 32s with cars for growth. For some odd reason, there are people who think R46s will remain.

The MTA doesn't publicly release technical specifications packages, do they?

( I know that SEPTA does make their technical specifications packages public as I have a PDF copy of the technical specifications for their Multilevel RFP)

Such a document for the R211 would be an interesting read.

And some of those 1545 R211s are apparently for the (T), according to an earlier post by East New York. (He must know something about the SAS that we don't cause I think that's just a waste to have cars sitting around)

So there's only gonna be one set of open gangway cars? Unless they order options?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The open gangway option cars depend on the tests. But since there is absolutely no reason for it to fail, I'm betting we will definitely seeing 740 more open gangway cars. And maybe more in the other option as well.

This isn't new info, but as I have said, the math allows for a complete replacement of the R46 and any remaining 32s with cars for growth. For some odd reason, there are people who think R46s will remain.

I don't know where that belief comes from either. The 211 order is intentionally large so that every B-Division car older than the 68s are gone by the end of the next decade. The MTA obviously doesn't want a repeat where cars pushing 50 years in service, if not older, remaining on the rails. Working the math, the 211 order will not only cover the 94 full-length sets of 46s, but there will be enough cars to make up 53 additional full-length trains. Even if every 32 and 42 car remained in service after the 179 delivery, all of them will be gone once the 211 order is completed with additional cars left over for fleet expansion.

Hope the split the R211T equally among the (A) and (R) because those lines needs a new look badly !

The cars will replace the existing 46s. If nothing else, the installation of CBTC along the Queens Blvd and 8th Avenue will mean both lines will have to get new(er) cars in order to utilize the new system.

R46.

Actually, are they gonna keep some 46's if the order goes wrong or delayed? 

See my previous comment. Also, the MTA will not prematurely retire cars before new ones are accepted.

The cars will replace the existing 46s. If nothing else, the installation of CBTC along the Queens Blvd and 8th Avenue will mean both lines will have to get new(er) cars in order to utilize the new system.

They’re doing it for 8 Avenue proper? Since when? :o