R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good afternoon ladies and gents. I had some major updates and information changes with the R211 order that has delayed my posting. After I hand concrete information for a few more details I will be sure to post.

It's all good no matter what happen we'll still have to wait a couple of years. 

Good afternoon ladies and gents. I had some major updates and information changes with the R211 order that has delayed my posting. After I hand concrete information for a few more details I will be sure to post.

Thank you for your hard work! I appreciate that you actually take the time to confirm what you have heard instead of just posting what one person told you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw the link on one of the FB groups:

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2016/12/08/manufacturing-jobs-hinge-on-nyc-subway-contract.html

China Railway Rolling Stock Corp. (SHA: 601766) plans to build a manufacturing plant on the banks of the Champlain Canal in Fort Edward, New York, if it wins a contract to make 1,025 subway cars for the New York City transit system.

CRRC, one of the world's largest rail car equipment makers, has a tentative agreement to buy 32 acres in the Fort Edward Industrial Park where it plans to assemble and test subway cars on a two-mile test track.

The land is part of the dewatering site where contaminated river sediment was treated during General Electric's six-year, $1 billion Hudson River dredging project.

Subway parts would be manufactured in China and the cars would be assembled at a 125,000-square-foot plant in Fort Edward. The project would bring up to 200 jobs to a community that lost the same amount of jobs earlier this year when General Electric (NYSE: GE) closed its capacitor manufacturing plant and moved that work to Clearwater, Florida.

Representatives of Wilton construction company D.A. Collins have been marketing the property for the past year. The land is owned by WCC LLC, a real estate holding company affiliated with D.A. Collins.

CRRC is among several manufacturers competing for what could be a multi-billion-dollar contract with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. The agency is seeking proposals from contractors who design, engineer, test, make and provide spare parts for 1,025 subway cars. Bid documents show there could be an option for an additional 520 cars.

Forty-nine companies requested bid documents, including Bombardier Transportation of Quebec; Alstom Transportation of New York City; and Kawasaki Rail Car in Yonkers. Sources familiar with the project said CRRC and Bombardier might collaborate on the project if they win the bid.

The bids are scheduled to be opened Dec. 15. Further information about the bids wasn't immediately from the MTA.

Chuanhe Zhou, chairman and president of CRRC MA, a North American subsidiary, said his company is working with state and local officials.

CRRC won a $566 million contract two years ago to build 284 subway cars for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. The factory to supply those cars is being built in Springfield.

CRRC was formed two years ago from the merger of China South Locomotive & Rolling Stock Corp. and the government-owned China CNR Corp.

Edited by GojiMet86

Woah! Hello!

I still don't think partnering with Bombardier will help their chances (however I am a fan of the slight design changes Bombardier made to the R143/160 body and face. An R211 taking design cues from the R179 would be pretty nice actually.)

I hope they could design R211 slightly different than R179/R160/R143, like add some Window seats or something and go back to using Big Logo colored signs front and back exterior of train LED or LCD route sign.

Edited by bstar1

I hope they could design R211 slightly different than R179/R160/R143, like add some Window seats or something and go back to using Big Logo colored signs front and back exterior of train LED or LCD route sign.

According to the renderings, there should be colored logo electronic signs on the ends of the trains.

Full steam ahead for the R211 program. Award still expected early this year. Trains will come WiFi ready with USB ports as seen on the newest buses. (A), (E), (F), (Q), (R) and SIR are the pending candidates for first deliveries. The open-gangway prototype is rumored to be going to the (A) first. That bit of information has not been confirmed at this time and is only speculation and educated guesses. We should have an update on the program in full in the coming weeks.

Full steam ahead for the R211 program. Award still expected early this year. Trains will come WiFi ready with USB ports as seen on the newest buses. (A), (E), (F), (Q), (R) and SIR are the pending candidates for first deliveries. The open-gangway prototype is rumored to be going to the (A) first. That bit of information has not been confirmed at this time and is only speculation and educated guesses. We should have an update on the program in full in the coming weeks.

I guess that the R211s at Jamaica would be shared around as there wouldn't be any 75-foot trains that could slow (E) trains. Thanks for the update!

The  (Q)? And should we also assume that whole R211's to the  (T) thing got shot down?

Options will call for the (T) if it's up and running at the time and the (F). The preliminary assignments are for the base contract and an option. The only lines confirmed at this time are the (A), and (R) for the base contract. Any options will of course depend on many factors which include but are not limited to, in-service performance, reliability, and overall contract performance.

Edited by East New York

Will there be occasional (N)(W) R211's, since the (Q) and (N)(W) are all based in Coney Island?

Who knows. We're still not entirely sure where the 179s will end up, much less a car class that only exists now as a concept drawing. With that said, I believe the majority of the 211s will wind up at Jamaica and Pitkin Yards to facilitate CBTC signalling, which is to be installed on the Queens Blvd and 8th Avenue lines. 

Yes, alongside and a bit after 8th Ave. And the R179 assignment is confirmed to me as of yesterday by RTO. Anything outside those lines, train may pop up here and there. As for 211, (A) and (R) have been confirmed as well. Everything else to be announced, and as always subject to change. The R211 is in the procurement stage and as I stated we should have more updates in the coming weeks.

Edited by East New York