R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, alongside and a bit after 8th Ave. And the R179 assignment is confirmed to me as of yesterday by RTO. Anything outside those lines, train may pop up here and there. As for 211, (A) and (R) have been confirmed as well. Everything else to be announced, and as always subject to change. The R211 is in the procurement stage and as I stated we should have more updates in the coming weeks.

I can see the R211's popping up on (E)(F) occasionally like the R160s do now on the (R)

Full steam ahead for the R211 program. Award still expected early this year. Trains will come WiFi ready with USB ports as seen on the newest buses. (A), (E), (F), (Q), (R) and SIR are the pending candidates for first deliveries. The open-gangway prototype is rumored to be going to the (A) first. That bit of information has not been confirmed at this time and is only speculation and educated guesses. We should have an update on the program in full in the coming weeks.

I can see Kawasaki getting the R211 contract before Alstom or any other manufacturers do. 

The open gangway cars will go to jamaica since those lines have the highest ridership, but i can see them testing them on the (A). If Jamaica gets these they will put them mainly on the (E) and (F) with some on the (R) while the (A) gets the other half. Btw the (T) won't exsist for a very long time unless it goes down another trunk line.

Wait so if all options are excercised and all 1545 trains are made that's enough to retire the R32, R46 and R68\R68A trains I think

Just the R32 and R46. The rest are for fleet expansion. The 68/a won't be retired until 2027-29....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yeah, they should really look into the problem of contract number inflation-  I think the R68s were originally supposed to be R55s.  And logically speaking, I don't even see why we should be past 100 for the subway contract numbers, let alone 200- what happens when they get to 999? Shouldn't it be like R80 or something as opposed to R211? But I digress...

The open gangway cars will go to jamaica since those lines have the highest ridership, but i can see them testing them on the (A). If Jamaica gets these they will put them mainly on the (E) and (F) with some on the (R) while the (A) gets the other half. Btw the (T) won't exsist for a very long time unless it goes down another trunk line.

First part makes complete sense. Queens Blvd would be the most likely candidate here. Regarding the second part, any plans that include the (T) or a fully realized Second Avenue line sometime in the next decade and not by the end of the century given the glacial pace of subway construction are wishful thinking at best.

With R211's going to jamaica i would guess that the r160's from jamaica would be sent elsewhere to finally retire the r32s

Yep. The first cars to be retired as the 211s arrive would be the aging 32s.

Wait so if all options are excercised and all 1545 trains are made that's enough to retire the R32, R46 and R68\R68A trains I think

Nope. By the end of the delivery of the 211s, the 68s will be the oldest fleet on the B-Division. There are presently no plans to do anything with the 68s or their Kawasaki-built counterparts at the moment as they are in overall good shape.

Yeah, they should really look into the problem of contract number inflation-  I think the R68s were originally supposed to be R55s.  And logically speaking, I don't even see why we should be past 100 for the subway contract numbers, let alone 200- what happens when they get to 999? Shouldn't it be like R80 or something as opposed to R211? But I digress...

The subway car class numbers keep jumping up because, as the list above this post illustrate, the R-numbers also include work cars and orders that were cancelled for various reasons. In the event we jump past R999, which likely won't happen for quite some time, we'll just move on to R1000 or something of that nature. There's really no issue here.