R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, RR503 said:

Emails or paperwork. Lots. 

Patience. I'm sure a poster on here will fill us in. 

They actually have a pretty good FOIL request system. I remember getting documents after just one email (granted, this was for an MNR study for Tappan Zee rail that never went anywhere, but i got a 200-pager study, which was way more than I bargained for)

Edited by bobtehpanda

At this point, who's left? Bombardier can't bid, CRRC has withdrawn their bid if I'm not mistaken and nobody else has expressed any real interest in this order. The Alstom-Kawasaki team will get the bid by default if no one else puts out a bid.

17 hours ago, rbrome said:

AFAIK, it's too late to change the design in any meaningful way, so naturally this is moment the MTA has chosen to solicit input from the public: 

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/nyc-transit-host-open-house-customer-feedback-design-new-subway-cars

I heard of this on CBS2 this morning. I will be heading over there today after work to check it out. Thanks

Edited by pr1nyc1

I love the doors and everything about the door area. I love the smooth, curvy ceiling and continuous LED lighting. I love the large full/multi-color displays with mixed-case text (mixed-case is proven to be easier to read). 

The yellow bars everywhere add way too much visual noise; that looks like garbage

I'm looking forward to checking this part in person, but from what I can see in photos: Still way too few handholds. A short person should able to easily reach a bar standing at any point in the car, and that does not appear to be the case.

In a similar vein, every other modern subway car in the world has clusters of three vertical grab-bars in the center. WHY would the MTA opt for just two? It makes no sense

why

Just now, rbrome said:

I love the doors and everything about the door area. I love the smooth, curvy ceiling and continuous LED lighting. I love the large full/multi-color displays with mixed-case text (mixed-case is proven to be easier to read). 

The yellow bars everywhere add way too much visual noise; that looks like garbage

I'm looking forward to checking this part in person, but from what I can see in photos: Still way too few handholds. A short person should able to easily reach a bar standing at any point in the car, and that does not appear to be the case.

In a similar vein, every other modern subway car in the world has clusters of three vertical grab-bars in the center. WHY would the MTA opt for just two? It makes no sense

maybe they are trying to elimnate the showtime dancers?

7 minutes ago, rbrome said:

They expect trains to get very crowded and for people to lean on each other without poles getting in the way.

52 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

maybe they are trying to elimnate the showtime dancers?

I don't see the difference. Maybe I didn't word that very well. I mean MTA should adopt this style: 

pole.jpg

45 minutes ago, CenSin said:

They expect trains to get very crowded and for people to lean on each other without poles getting in the way.

That's an open invitation for inappropriate sexual contact. It's a huge problem already, and the MTA should be doing more, especially given all the attention on this issue lately. 

Just came from the R211 open house and overall was very impressed. They have new LED features for the doors and use different colors for flip-seats (yellow) and non-flip seats (blue). 

They also had a simulation of the FIND that looks similar to Strip maps, which I like. Besides the Cuomo appearance, I say I love these Trains and these are better to foam on than the R179s.

Some first impressions (I rarely check these things out, but it was kind of on the way home for me and I had time to kill):

• The doors are wider and the red/green lighting looks cool.  I like the door warning much better than what we have now.  I'm just skeptical that these will make it to the production cars.
  • I don't mind the five seats per bench, but I won't be surprised when people start to complain.  I do like the fold up seats and the fact that they flip individually as opposed to a bench.  I am worried that the little room between the door and the end of the bench will invite more people to stand near it (people will always hog the doors, but that extra space just makes it that much easier).1
  • I love the information displays and the FINDs.  Not crazy about the voice recordings though (maybe I'm too used to Charlie Pellett and the others, but the new recordings don't sound right).

Still, looking forward to these cars and I like the interior scheme as well.

P.S. When this was leaked a while ago, it had the NYS seal on the side.  I found it interesting that they removed it.  ;)

Edited by Bosco

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Besides the Cuomo appearance, I say I love these Trains and these are better to foam on than the R179s.

The R179s aren't even that different from the R160s and most riders won't be able to tell them apart except for the cleanliness (for now).  The hype of that train is unwarranted and the product of a bunch of bandwagoners.  At least with this mockup, there will be something else on the Facebook group besides 50 daily photos of the R179.