R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• 1 month later...

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all likelihood, they'll range in the 3000s and/or 4000s. Besides the incoming 179s (lower 3000s range), the only cars in those ranges are the 32s and 42s, both of which will eventually be replaced by the 211s. Starting from 3950 (3949 is the last numbered R32 car) and running through 4549 (4550 is the first numbered R42 car), that gives 600 car numbers for the initial order without overlapping any existing designations (in service or recently retired).

1 minute ago, Lance said:

In all likelihood, they'll range in the 3000s and/or 4000s. Besides the incoming 179s (lower 3000s range), the only cars in those ranges are the 32s and 42s, both of which will eventually be replaced by the 211s. Starting from 3950 (3949 is the last numbered R32 car) and running through 4549 (4550 is the first numbered R42 car), that gives 600 car numbers for the initial order without overlapping any existing designations (in service or recently retired).

Plus, with the second option, there could be 1612 cars, which means (assuming they start with 3330 as the R179s could likely end with 3326) it could run up to the mid-high 4900s.  It actually works out nicely.

My guess is that the first cars will be renumbered after the CI R42 rebuilds (4840-4949) and replace the current 42s, and then they will start running up the R32 numbers as those cars are replaced, and they can also run down to the 5000s. They could even pull some crazy move and number some in place of the NYCT R44s.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:52 AM, VIP said:

I think it would be nice if the R211’s had a Live map feature, like they do on Jet blue planes... so people can see (geographically) where they’re traveling to/from...

Perhaps on the subway maps, which are going to be digital anyway.  That would be very useful actually.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:52 AM, VIP said:

I think it would be nice if the R211’s had a Live map feature, like they do on Jet blue planes... so people can see (geographically) where they’re traveling to/from...

That's a great idea for an app, using the MTA's public APIs. It would be fun. 

But IMO, in all official MTA signage, maps should be either geographic or a diagrammatic, not both. A diagrammatic map (like we have now) is generally much clearer. Having both types of maps on the train would just add confusion. 

The R211s are supposed to include a new digital diagram of the next station, showing where staircases and exits are located relative to the train, etc. That's helpful info so people can plan their next few steps as they leave the train, hopefully leading to a smoother flow of people on the platform.

But helping people beyond that - as they venture into the neighborhood - is information I feel belongs in the station (as they do now), not on the train. I'm not sure if that's what you meant - something like the "neighborhood map" in stations. But if you put something like that on the train, that's a lot of info to process in a short amount of time. You'll have people lingering trying to memorize it even as the doors open, dashing off the train at the last second. It would be a mess, probably hurting dwell time. 

7 hours ago, rbrome said:

That's a great idea for an app, using the MTA's public APIs. It would be fun. 

But IMO, in all official MTA signage, maps should be either geographic or a diagrammatic, not both. A diagrammatic map (like we have now) is generally much clearer. Having both types of maps on the train would just add confusion. 

The R211s are supposed to include a new digital diagram of the next station, showing where staircases and exits are located relative to the train, etc. That's helpful info so people can plan their next few steps as they leave the train, hopefully leading to a smoother flow of people on the platform.

But helping people beyond that - as they venture into the neighborhood - is information I feel belongs in the station (as they do now), not on the train. I'm not sure if that's what you meant - something like the "neighborhood map" in stations. But if you put something like that on the train, that's a lot of info to process in a short amount of time. You'll have people lingering trying to memorize it even as the doors open, dashing off the train at the last second. It would be a mess, probably hurting dwell time. 

I think that what was meant - and correct me if im wrong - is a moving dot along the line on the existing subway map showing the position of the train. If the subway maps are indeed digital, not hard to implement. 

Looking at the mockup of the car, that's a lot of LCDs. Bet they'll run all that data wirelessly too rather than trying to jam an gig-e connection into the coupler pins. Should make it fun and straightforward to hijack. Messing with the rollsigns is about to enter the 21st century. 

I haven't had a heck of a lot of luck using the APIs to prorgamatically generate vehicle position without extrapolating it from arrival time. I seek to, because I want to make a DIY "model board" like they have in older towers but fed by real time info. 

Edited by itmaybeokay
adding vehicle position sentence.

3 minutes ago, itmaybeokay said:

Looking at the mockup of the car, that's a lot of LCDs. Bet they'll run all that data wirelessly too rather than trying to jam an gig-e connection into the coupler pins. Should make it fun and straightforward to hijack. Messing with the rollsigns is about to enter the 21st century. 

You can say that again...

12 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

I think that what was meant - and correct me if im wrong - is a moving dot along the line on the existing subway map showing the position of the train. If the subway maps are indeed digital, not hard to implement. 

Ahh. Sorry if I misunderstood. Yes, putting a moving "you are here" dot on the standard (but now-digital) wall map would be great!

On 5/7/2018 at 6:17 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

My guess is that the first cars will be renumbered after the CI R42 rebuilds (4840-4949) and replace the current 42s, and then they will start running up the R32 numbers as those cars are replaced, and they can also run down to the 5000s. They could even pull some crazy move and number some in place of the NYCT R44s.

If I recall correctly, the 10000 series and up are for former revenue cars converted for work service. Like the old redbirds. A 9500 would become 19500 for example. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

I wonder what lines those R211s will run on...

Obviously it's too early for that but I'm curious

From what would most likely happen (with the exception of the R211S) they'll most likely end up on the (A) and (C) for Pitkin Yard. And the (F) and (R) for Jamaica. Gangways, could likely wind up on the (E) and (F) considering their ridership levels. Of course, it's way too early to tell but that's my best guess of what could most likely happen. 

16 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

From what would most likely happen (with the exception of the R211S) they'll most likely end up on the (A) and (C) for Pitkin Yard. And the (F) and (R) for Jamaica. Gangways, could likely wind up on the (E) and (F) considering their ridership levels. Of course, it's way too early to tell but that's my best guess of what could most likely happen. 

It's funny because every service you mentioned would benefit from them. 

Educated guess: Pitkin and Jamaica,

17 hours ago, VIP said:

That oder is to replace R46’s so my best guess is any line that runs R46’s! 

Assuming the (A)(C)/(N)(W) swap happens, and the (B)(G)  gets R32s, R46s, or R42s, we could see them on the (A)(B)(C)(E)(F)(G)(N) and (W) lines, unless other lines give their cars to those lines, and then those other lines get the R211s, like what happened with the R160s going to the (Q) and the (Q) giving it's R68s to the (B) to replace their R40s instead of the (B) directly getting R160s.

Edited by KK 6 Ave Local
snape

10 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

It's funny because every service you mentioned would benefit from them. 

Educated guess: Pitkin and Jamaica

That would make sense at the moment, but I do remember lots of people on here insisting that Jamaica "has" to be all R160 because of a CBTC specificity to those cars (once they are modified).

If that is the case, then it might be Pitkin and Coney that get the R211s.

1 hour ago, U-BahnNYC said:

That would make sense at the moment, but I do remember lots of people on here insisting that Jamaica "has" to be all R160 because of a CBTC specificity to those cars (once they are modified).

If that is the case, then it might be Pitkin and Coney that get the R211s.

But another thing you must consider is that R211's ARE arriving as CBTC equipped trains so that's not a big issue. It would only make sense if Jamaica had to be ALL R160's NOW because then it'll be ready for when CBTV arrives. Another thing I want to acknowledge is that R211's that are going to have open gangway's should go on the (E) and (F) considering the crowdedness and high ridership level of those 2 lines. Especially on Queens Boulevard. The only other lines that I know for a fact have high ridership would be the (A) and (D) and for the same reasons I listed above. 

• 3 weeks later...

The doors have LEDs that flash around the doors that will be opening at the platform. Is this programmed with the announcement? If so, what happens if the trains are running express or local due to an unplanned service change, will the C/O have to change the selected program so that the correct Doors light up?

Edited by N6 Limited

8 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The doors have LEDs that flash around the doors that will be opening at the platform. Is this programmed with the announcement? If so, what happens if the trains are running express or local due to an unplanned service change, will the C/O have to change the selected program so that the correct Doors light up?

They'll probably be linked to the door controls.