R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And a name for the proposed replacement fleet for the R62/62A fleet...the R262s.

Looking at the picture of the R211 side panel has me thinking those are going to be some of the narrowest side windows on a post-WW2 subway car fleet we’ll see. They have to be due to the wide entry doors.

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Ah. And when this mockup is approved, it is later on converted into an actual car or scrapped?

No this is the pre production mockup. It's built to the exact spec's of a real car without any under car equipment, so that the customer ( in this case the (MTA) ) can sign off on the design of the car before the actual pilot cars are manufactured. It will most likely be scrapped. 

49 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The R211 observations confirms that half of these will be going to Jamaica yard. The QBL cbtc project line confirms that.

Which is why I mentioned that Not ALL of Coney Island’s R160’s are heading over to Jamaica. And knowing NYCT, they’re not sending any Siemens over to Jamaica. 

13 minutes ago, VIP said:

Which is why I mentioned that Not ALL of Coney Island’s R160’s are heading over to Jamaica. And knowing NYCT, they’re not sending any Siemens over to Jamaica. 

The Siemens are going, they will have to transfer 425 cars for 340 R46's. All the R46's are going to CIY. 

It's smarter to send the 260 Siemens than to split them up. 

Then once the R211's come in those R160's would go back to CIY. 

Every R46 has to leave Jamaica, they want to train and prepare everyone for cbtc. 

From the full car mock-up and renderings, no accordion-like object is shown; it can be assumed that the plan is to have open gangways for every 5-car set. It is unlikely the entire 10-car consist would be interconnected because there would be resistance to this idea; to do that would mean either 1) very cramped cabs for conductors, or 2) the conductor position in the middle of the car is eliminated.

Keep in mind that open gangway and articulated have different meanings; one does not equal the other. The Toronto Rocket is not an articulated train, but it has open gangways.

Edited by Gong Gahou
removed a word

It will most likely be 5 car sets due to maintenance practices, if an 5 car set is bad and the other half is good, etc. Also with transit workers being assaulted being an issue, they will most likely want full width cabs for the C/R's. Yea on the PA5's the C/R's is out in the open but I don't think that would fly in the NY Subway in 2020. Plus, no need to worry about the C/R controls being vandalized. 

Edited by trainfan22

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2015 at 4:40 PM, Around the Horn said:

So its design 2016 ,award 2017? ,delivery 2020?

Or am I horribly off?

To a further extent, if you all want an interesting, and very entertaining view into how things play out, go back to the first page of a thread and start reading.

Thanks to the R179 troubles, which prompted the acelleration of the R211 program, @Around the Horn ‘s post ended up being a lot closer than I expected, or even the MTA planned. 😎 #FridayFlashback

Design 2017, Award 2018, Delivery 2020/2021

13 minutes ago, East New York said:

To a further extent, if you all want an interesting, and very entertaining view into how things play out, go back to the first page of a thread and start reading.

Thanks to the R179 troubles, which prompted the acelleration of the R211 program, @Around the Horn ‘s post ended up being a lot closer than I expected, or even the MTA planned. 😎 #FridayFlashback

Design 2017, Award 2018, Delivery 2020/2021

XLR8? Oooo so we gonna see the first set next year hopefully...

On 1/30/2019 at 7:50 PM, Gong Gahou said:

the conductor position in the middle of the car is eliminated.

With CBTC likely active on many more lines by the time the open-gangway trains show up, I wouldn't be surprised if either: they've begun to do OPTO on said lines, or at least the MTA will be fighting with the TWU to let them do OPTO (and with CBTC rolling out to more and more trunk lines, I'd expect some sort of rehash of the L train fight over OPTO in the coming years). 

8 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Ah, I thought because of CBTC R160s would run on the (R) , but if they have enough R211s by then I guess they won't have to... right?

*DISCLAIMER* THIS IS ALL JUST SPECULATION!! 

If all R211’s (from Option 1 only) arrive plus the 2 additional Open Gangway Trains, they should be prioritized on the (A) and (C) first since the (A) has very high ridership and the (C) is the Short version of the (A). For a period of time, they might share R32’s, R46’s, R179’s, R211’s, (and maybe R42’s). Keep in mind that this is just speculation. 

So plenty of R160’s should be on the (R) in the near future. 

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

*DISCLAIMER* THIS IS ALL JUST SPECULATION!! 

If all R211’s (from Option 1 only) arrive plus the 2 additional Open Gangway Trains, they should be prioritized on the (A) and (C) first since the (A) has very high ridership and the (C) is the Short version of the (A). For a period of time, they might share R32’s, R46’s, R179’s, R211’s, (and maybe R42’s). Keep in mind that this is just speculation. 

So plenty of R160’s should be on the (R) in the near future. 

I think the (A) should get R160’s instead, those who ride the (A) do not deserve luxury, yet. Leave the R211 in wealthy neighborhoods. (N)(Q)  and (W)  perhaps?