Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Program Updates Effective 2/20/19

8B572BC2-6B77-4999-9283-417E996BD0EF.jpeg

5197FE8E-FC09-4EBF-B992-6B7FB2371D54.jpeg

8EEC2B6D-E8A2-4DB9-85B2-9F4AB240BB25.jpeg

Message added by East New York

10 hours ago, Enjineer said:

I know what you mean. ONIX and the R179's MITRAC have a harsher tone, while the older MITRAC 1580c inverters have a more soft tone. All I was saying is Alstom isn't exclusively harder sounds, for example this is Alstom propulsion, and even other ONIX systems in this video aren't like the R142s and R160

I definitely wouldn't mind having one of these in New York.  In addition to the rolling sound, they are also quieter than what we have here.  The only one that I could find in Europe that sounds similar is the Metropolis 98B (which isn't in that video).

Even if they use ONIX, I can't imagine it sounding like the R160.  Besides the fact that the R142/R160 design is 20 years old, I'm sure the newer systems are quieter, lighter, and more energy efficient, all of which matter to the MTA as much as parts commonality if not more.  Speaking of commonality: 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:20 PM, Railfan 007 said:

The R160s propulsion is nearly 20 years old lol. It could be the same propulsion for parts commonality, but with the R179s having a different propulsion than the R142A/143/188, even though both trains have Bombardier propulsion, I doubt the R211s will have the same propulsion package as the R160s.

The only reason they had Bombardier bring back the 1508C for the R188 was because the other option would've been to replace the propulsion on all converted R142As.  That was a special case.  Also, as I mentioned, the newer systems are much lighter and smaller which are both big benefits for NYCT.  The boxes for the 1508C are HUGE.

From the FB Group "Transit Photos and Vidoes" via Mr. Edwards. Originally from Kawasaki:

Looks like they'll occupy the 4000s.

57124595_2181608678592742_38170438222951

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 14

9 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

From the FB Group "Transit Photos and Vidoes" via Mr. Edwards. Originally from Kawasaki:

WOW! Thanks. I presume that this was the only image that was up. Is this the first set?

22 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Is it me or does that passenger window look shrunk in width?

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Is it me or does that passenger window look shrunk in width?

It is. The doors are now 58 inches wide like R142/As

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Like I suspected, they'll probably use the 4000s and then go back to 3350-3999 when the R32s have been retired.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

I know it's Cuomo colors, but I have to say that paint scheme really looks sharp. It's amazing how even a little paint in the front can add so much character to the car

• Upvote 5

55 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

It seems like all the poles in the car are yellow.

But we knew that already. 

8 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

WOW! Thanks. I presume that this was the only image that was up. Is this the first set?

This is actually the non-operational mockup, similar to the very first photos of the R179s that were leaked in 2014.  So this particular car won't see service, it's just used to confirm maintainability, build quality, spec compliance, etc.  Also, this is the first of three similar but functionally different mockups (this one is for the R211A, and there will be one for the S and T, since there are functional differences between the three classes).

Mock-up review for the R211A is underway and continuing through next week.  After that comes climate room testing in May.  So far so good!

• Upvote 13

Good to know. Thank you for keeping us informed on the progress. I requested to join the FB group, not knowing if there are more pictures there or not (it’s a closed group, so you have to join if you want to see more).

On 4/10/2019 at 2:32 PM, Enjineer said:

I know it's Cuomo colors, but I have to say that paint scheme really looks sharp. It's amazing how even a little paint in the front can add so much character to the car

Personally, I hate it. I think it looks visually... messy. One navy or yellow stripe could look nice, but both is too much. It looks tacky to me. Stainless steel looks sleeker to my eye.

It's even worse on the inside. All the blue and bright yellow on the inside of the public R211 mock-up gave me a headache. I'd much prefer white and stainless; it looks far cleaner, brighter, and more relaxing. 

Also, stainless doesn't need to be repainted every few years. I suspect these stripes are going to look like garbage 10 years in. MTA will probably realize that paint is more trouble than its's worth and go back to stainless, like SEPTA did recently with its BSL (orange line subway) cars. 

• Upvote 7

Posted (edited)

It might not necessarily be paint. It could just be a wrap, like on the “Cuomo R160s.” Although that goes too far by having the entire top halves of the B-cars wrapped in blue. Maybe just have a blue belt line stripe, like the R42s, R44s and R46s used to.

As for the interiors, white is too bright (when new). And it doesn’t stay clean for long, even when you clean it regularly. I prefer some color to the interior, maybe with a light gray as the base. TTC’s gray (or cream) walls and red seats in the T1 and Toronto Rocket cars are a good example of that.

As for SEPTA, I think the BSL cars looked better with the orange around the windows. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

White is too bright (when new). And it doesn’t stay clean for long, even when you clean it regularly.

I think a perfect example of paint on stainless steel is the M8s on Metro-North. The red stripe along the carbody with the black ends looks very sleek, IMO

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

As for the interiors, white is too bright (when new). And it doesn’t stay clean for long, even when you clean it regularly. I prefer some color to the interior, maybe with a light gray as the base. TTC’s gray (or cream) walls and red seats in the T1 and Toronto Rocket cars are a good example of that.

I agree and this is one of my pet peeves with the R142s. I really like the light blue specs on the R142As, it's small but it makes such a difference.

• Upvote 2

On 4/10/2019 at 1:17 PM, GojiMet86 said:

Another R160 look-alike

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Harlem Crosstown said:

Another R160 look-alike

Just wait until you see the front bonnet and the destination signs B-)

It's anything but a R160 look-alike 

• Upvote 7

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2019 at 6:12 PM, Harlem Crosstown said:

Another R160 look-alike

Y'all just forgot about the SMEEs huh? Even the cars that looked different were still, aside from appearance, nearly identical to what was already around.

This is nothing different. Appearance and a few new amenities are different, but the overally car is still mostly the same.

Evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Edited by LTA1992
  • Upvote 3

other than replacing the R46s on the (A) are there other lines slated to get the R211s?

7 minutes ago, happy283 said:

other than replacing the R46s on the (A) are there other lines slated to get the R211s?

(R) definitely... maybe (Q) and (E) 

1 minute ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

(R) definitely... maybe (Q) and (E) 

Never expected Coney Island to get these considering they don't have any R46s.

Posted (edited)

I'd expect the (A)(C) to split R211s and R179s while the (G) gets 8 car 179s, the (F) gets maybe some R211s, and the (R) gets 5 car R160s. If it were up to me I would put R179s and R160s on the (A)(C) so the R211s could go to the (E)(F) .

Edited by R68OnBroadway