R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Is this a full two track connection? ie Christie Street? Also with Phase 1 how far down 2nd Ave did they tunnel south of the curve on 63rd if at all.

Yes, the connection proposed in Phase 3 would be two tracks. Physically, it will be similar to how the 6 Av line local tracks split off from the Queens Blvd line west of 5 Av-53 St station. Right now under 2nd Ave there is nothing south of the curve to the 63 St line (around 65 St). The original plans for Phase 1 did include building the 2nd Ave malnline tracks (S1 and S2) down to 62 St, however, around 2006 the MTA decided to postpone building that section of the tunnels. 

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the connection proposed in Phase 3 would be two tracks. Physically, it will be similar to how the 6 Av line local tracks split off from the Queens Blvd line west of 5 Av-53 St station. Right now under 2nd Ave there is nothing south of the curve to the 63 St line (around 65 St). The original plans for Phase 1 did include building the 2nd Ave malnline tracks (S1 and S2) down to 62 St, however, around 2006 the MTA decided to postpone building that section of the tunnels. 

Are there bellmouths for Phase 3? There have to be. Right?

• 3 weeks later...

I watched some of yesterday's board meeting and it was noted that the Chinese are in the process of qualifying themselves as a carbuilder for MTA. I don't believe they will be qualified in time for the R211 order but they will provide serious competition to Bombardier, Alstom, and Kawasaki on future procurement's especially if their cars perform well on other contracts they have won in US so far (Boston, Chicago, and potentially LA).

This is correct. 

25882501863_c28e0b1c4a_z.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-17 at 1.07.27 PM by spicker613, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

What about the Chinese? Seems like they're trying to under bid everyone.

I am not sure if the Chinese will be qualified in time for the RFP. 

When is the R211 to be awarded? Also wondering who has placed bids on it?

The RFP needs to be released first. Then, it is usually 8-9 months for the selection process. I would guesstimate before the end of next year the car builder will selected. 

• 4 weeks later...

every time there are suggestions on line extensions or new services patterns,  (MTA) will say they can't do since "we have no cars no cars no cars...". But then why it takes so loooong to award the contract for new cars?  :mellow:

Cars need to be designed first. That already takes a couple years. Then, the contract needs to be bid. Every car manufacturer that thinks it's eligible needs to be checked out. That also takes a while. But even after the award, it's still another year or two before the prototypes arrive (which themselves can be delayed by faults and thus delay the whole project) and another year before they hit the road in revenue service. Once that train passes all required tests, then the production units come. All R179s should have been here by now as we first heard of them in like, 2009 or something. But things happen. We first learned that the next contract number after R179 would be R211 in 2012 I think. I still remember the debates on whether or not it was real. Since 2012, the R211s had been designed and it was only this year that the contract was put out to bid.

It's quite the process, but it's all to ensure that you, I, and the other 6 million people who use the subway can ride safely. 

Chicago's issue is irrelevant to our system. The CTA's standards are clearly not as high as the MTA's.

The frames and wheels had cracks develop after delivery and entering service. I think that's pretty relevant if your supplier can't cast a frame properly. Even more relevant if they are a supplier on your order too.

Chicago's issue is irrelevant to our system. The CTA's standards are clearly not as high as the MTA's.

What a ridiculous post.

So you're saying that it's the CTA's fault for not having as high standards as the MTA? Bombardier is a respected multinational company with a generally positive reputation; there is no reason for the CTA to suspect that their trains would have structural problems. To say that this issue is irrelevant is a cop out; if the only thing keeping New York from getting these shitty trains is having higher standards than Chicago, that reflects pretty badly on the manufacturer in question, like they would try to offload their substandard trains onto New York otherwise. It is the transit manufacturer equivalent to the argument "People are only decent to each other because they're afraid of getting in trouble."

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Major Update: MTA is in the process of speeding up the R211 project, as final design configuration in now basically complete. Originally, MTA wanted to award the contract after the production R179's went into service. They have now decided that not only will they not wait for the R179 evaluation, but Bombardier now has officially been disqualified from bidding on the contract.

At this time, My money is on Kawasaki. Even if Alstom gets part of the order, Kawasaki will be still building them. No matter who bids, I will bet anyone anything that it goes to Kawasaki.