R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

This one is a fully functioning car for MTA big wigs to inspect before the order to proceed on the pilot set is given.

The mockup car does have some functional components, but it is not fully functional.  The purpose of the mockup is to prove as many static tests/designs as possible, so HVAC, software, doors, etc.  In addition to build quality and TS compliance, the MTA also looks for maintainability of certain components.  The mockup does not have propulsion equipment included (no traction motor, no inverter).  Only the boxes for where the components would go are included, to ensure everything fits together and can be accessed easily.

Just wanted to clear that up in case anyone thinks that car will see service, or run on its own power.

3 hours ago, Bosco said:

The mockup car does have some functional components, but it is not fully functional.  The purpose of the mockup is to prove as many static tests/designs as possible, so HVAC, software, doors, etc.  In addition to build quality and TS compliance, the MTA also looks for maintainability of certain components.  The mockup does not have propulsion equipment included (no traction motor, no inverter).  Only the boxes for where the components would go are included, to ensure everything fits together and can be accessed easily.

Just wanted to clear that up in case anyone thinks that car will see service, or run on its own power.

So, what happens to it once they're done with it?

Maybe donate it to Transit Tech. With the R42s all but retired, they could replace one of the R42s at the school with this R211 mock-up. Not sure what would replace the other R42, though with the R62s and R68s sticking around for the foreseeable future, perhaps it would be good for the school to have one SMEE-generation car and one New Tech-era car. 

58 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Maybe donate it to Transit Tech. With the R42s all but retired, they could replace one of the R42s at the school with this R211 mock-up. Not sure what would replace the other R42, though with the R62s and R68s sticking around for the foreseeable future, perhaps it would be good for the school to have one SMEE-generation car and one New Tech-era car. 

bad ass school 😂

On 5/16/2019 at 8:43 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Nah. Saying this as a Transit Student myself, the trains are barely used and are just for Show for the most Part. Even the RTS that we acquired back in December. So I wouldn’t bother replacing the R42’s until they start being utilized more.  

On 5/16/2019 at 9:48 PM, Jemorie said:

I regret going to that school from day one. Worst school ever and a hoodlum environment too at that.

Damn right. It’s kinda annoying to deal with but I don’t mind it. Sounds like you weren’t able to make the best of your time there. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Enjineer said:

I gotta say, that cab door window looks a little odd. I hope it won't mean a lack of a view from the passenger area (hoping for the same polarized filter over the cab window from the inside)

I'd imagine they're either trying to reduce glare on the operator and/or preventing those handles on the left side of the door from scratching the glass.

Keep ‘em coming! And if you look real close, you can see what appears to be a small square in the middle of the left side cab window. I’m assuming that’s for the route bullet. Glad they’re bringing that back, because it will be much easier to identify a train’s route from far away.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Keep ‘em coming! And if you look real close, you can see what appears to be a small square in the middle of the left side cab window. I’m assuming that’s for the route bullet. Glad they’re bringing that back, because it will be much easier to identify a train’s route from far away.

It is very annoying at Kew Gardens on weekends, when trying to distinguish the E and F for the R160s. It was also very annoying for the R32s.

Fully agreed. I used to have to do that every day when I lived in Forest Hills. Even now, I still have to on those occasions when I transfer from the (7) to the (F) at Roosevelt. We’ll all still have to even after the R211s are in service. I mean, with all the interlining we have on the B-Division, it’s inevitable.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Here's to hoping they'll upgrade those route bullets to full-color at some point. The cost of full-color LEDs has dropped significantly since the blood-red displays were first installed on the 142s back in 2000.

1 minute ago, Lance said:

Here's to hoping they'll upgrade those route bullets to full-color at some point. The cost of full-color LEDs has dropped significantly since the blood-red displays were first installed on the 142s back in 2000.

These are full color. Both the front and sides saw some of the shots from the MTA brass tests.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

labor cost is the problem.I mean that we dont want people to work 16hr/day for 365 days(just kidding) to change the route bullet LEDs which are kind of useless now. And they are also too small to see with full-colors. I still prefer to see those on the 46s/68s instead of those on 32s/160s.

Edited by whz1995

6 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

labor cost is the problem.I mean that we dont want people to work 16hr/day for 365 days(just kidding) to change the route bullet LEDs which are kind of useless now. And they are also too small to see with full-colors. I still prefer to see those on the 46s/68s instead of those on 32s/160s.

The front ones on the R46 and R68 are fine and have been for years now, no need to change it. The 32s are too old to need them now, but at least being able to distinguish color on the 142-179s helps a lot at rush hour. They’re also dirt cheap anyways.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:18 PM, Around the Horn said:

I'd imagine they're either trying to reduce glare on the operator and/or preventing those handles on the left side of the door from scratching the glass.

On closer inspection, the latch handles are actually recessed into the cab door, which would explain why the window of the cab door is narrower.  I wonder if that was changed to improve the ability of crew members to get on and off the train between A cars (which was a problem on the R179s), because the original renderings had the handles simply mounted on like on older fleets.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if we will get three pilot trains at the same time..

One pilot 10 car set for NYCT

One 8 car set for NYCT

And a pilot train for SIR.

Was there three pilot trains in the early stages of the 160 order? I know Kawasaki and Astlom each had an 10 car pliot train but I'm not sure when the first 8 car set came.

We should at least get one pilot set each for NYCT and SIR at the same time IMO.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder if we will get three pilot trains at the same time..

One pilot 10 car set for NYCT

One 8 car set for NYCT

And a pilot train for SIR.

Was there three pilot trains in the early stages of the 160 order? I know Kawasaki and Astlom each had an 10 car pliot train but I'm not sure when the first 8 car set came.

We should at least get one pilot set each for NYCT and SIR at the same time IMO.

But no. It's going by a particular, realistic schedule if there's no delays. There's no reason to truly rush to process. Kawasaki has done a good job so far based on their track record, I guess....