Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Program Updates Effective 2/20/19

8B572BC2-6B77-4999-9283-417E996BD0EF.jpeg

5197FE8E-FC09-4EBF-B992-6B7FB2371D54.jpeg

8EEC2B6D-E8A2-4DB9-85B2-9F4AB240BB25.jpeg

Message added by East New York

Recommended Posts

On 7/7/2019 at 8:28 PM, Metro CSW said:

But no. It's going by a particular, realistic schedule if there's no delays. There's no reason to truly rush to process. Kawasaki has done a good job so far based on their track record, I guess....

No jinxing!

 

On 7/7/2019 at 6:05 PM, trainfan22 said:

I wonder if we will get three pilot trains at the same time..

 

One pilot 10 car set for NYCT

One 8 car set for NYCT

And a pilot train for SIR.

 

Was there three pilot trains in the early stages of the 160 order? I know Kawasaki and Astlom each had an 10 car pliot train but I'm not sure when the first 8 car set came.

 

We should at least get one pilot set each for NYCT and SIR at the same time IMO.

Per the information that was provided in the staff summary in January 2018, we are not getting all three pilot trains at once.  

R211A 10-Car (30 months from NOA, or July 2020)
R211T 10-Car (40 months from NOA, or May 2021)
R211S 5-Car (47 months from NOA, or December 2021)

The R211s are being designed for 4-, 5-, or 6-car configurations (similar to R160) but there are no plans for 4-car R211s, at least not yet.

I don't know about the R160 pilot trains, but I want to say the first 8-car set 8313-8320 was not a pilot train because it has the knurled stainless steel on the car ends and window masks that the pilot R160 trains (8653-8662, 8713-8722) don't have.

 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bosco said:

The R211s are being designed for 4-, 5-, or 6-car configurations (similar to R160) but there are no plans for 4-car R211s, at least not yet.

6-car configurations? The configuration of the second option order as 437 cars in 89 sets means that there would have to be 81 five-car sets, totaling 405 cars, plus 8 four-car sets, totaling 32 cars. Are you saying that the plans have changed?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

6-car configurations? 

Yeah all the NTTs are designed to operate in 4 and 6 car consists just in case.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

The configuration of the second option order as 437 cars in 89 sets means that there would have to be 81 five-car sets, totaling 405 cars, plus 8 four-car sets, totaling 32 cars. Are you saying that the plans have changed?

Until the MTA officially exercises that option, there are "no plans" for 4 car R211s. It's just semantics really. 

That's also why the press release only mentioned the base 535 cars IIRC.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Yeah all the NTTs are designed to operate in 4 and 6 car consists just in case.

Until the MTA officially exercises that option, there are "no plans" for 4 car R211s. It's just semantics really. 

That's also why the press release only mentioned the base 535 cars IIRC.

The thing is that the MTA has rarely, ever, not exercised an option. Those additional cars are needed. I am 99% confident that those cars will be ordered.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 6:11 PM, Union Tpke said:

The thing is that the MTA has rarely, ever, not exercised an option. Those additional cars are needed. I am 99% confident that those cars will be ordered.

there gonna do the option orders, its likely that these 4 car units will go to the (L) for increased service and high spare factor since the (M) will need a large chunk of R160's for Queens cbtc and increased spare factor for the (J) and (Z)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Still can't get over the fact that this entire order isn't open gangway...

 

Especially with how the media done told the entire NYC the next generation of cars will have open gangway.

An "option" shouldn't have been so media publicized. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Still can't get over the fact that this entire order isn't open gangway...

 

Especially with how the media done told the entire NYC the next generation of cars will have open gangway.

An "option" shouldn't have been so media publicized. 

The (MTA) made it pretty clear that they were only going to order a 1 test set of open gangway R211's & I understand their reasoning. They want to test the technology before it's fully utilized, sorta like the R110A/B order. I remember seeing that the reason somewhere that (NYCT) started this trend of ordering test sets was to to avoid the disaster that was the R44/46 order back in the 70's. They realized the new technology at the time (75' cars) should have been tested before being put into production. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 3:50 PM, R32 3838 said:

there gonna do the option orders, its likely that these 4 car units will go to the (L) for increased service and high spare factor since the (M) will need a large chunk of R160's for Queens cbtc and increased spare factor for the (J) and (Z)

(M) is all R160's and They don't Need More.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 11:56 AM, 34bluebird said:

They should put some R160 on (G).

Not exactly in the recent loop in terms of car movement but I think the (G) is getting R179s or R160s from one of the yards that’s getting R211s. Have the R211s‘ destinations been announced yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2016 at 8:58 AM, Union Tpke said:

R32 3348, 3350–3949

R38 3950–4149

R40 4150–4349

R40A 4350–4549

R42 4550–4949

R44 5202–5479

R46 5482–6207, Even #s 6208 – 6258

 

 

R68 2500–2924

R68A 5001–5200

R143 8101–8312

R160 8313–9974

R179 3001-3300

 

R211 3301–4315?

It's not for the R179 3300. It's 3001-3319.

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tyler Playz said:

It's not for the R179 3300. It's 3001-3319.

The R179’s are numbered 3010-3327. Also that comment was from three years ago, so some of that information is no longer accurate.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2019 at 12:53 PM, beelinefan said:

the r32s cannot go on the (Q) they are banned from the montague tunnel

The (Q) Does not go that way mind you, the (R) does, the R32s were on the (R) one day and ran via the Manhattan Bridge. So the R32s can be on the (Q) for a farewell ceremony.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DJLilFace222 said:

The (Q) Does not go that way mind you, the (R) does, the R32s were on the (R) one day and ran via the Manhattan Bridge. So the R32s can be on the (Q) for a farewell ceremony.

That R32 (R) was during the Montague tunnel closure so they only route from Manhattan to Brooklyn was the bridge. Now that both bridge and tunnel are open, R32s are banned from all of the Broadway lines due to the possibility of reroutes through the tunnel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, Around the Horn said:

That R32 (R) was during the Montague tunnel closure so they only route from Manhattan to Brooklyn was the bridge. Now that both bridge and tunnel are open, R32s are banned from all of the Broadway lines due to the possibility of reroutes through the tunnel.

Did they not fix this problem like 3 years ago already? Don't almost all the garbage trains use R32 sets and utilize the Nassau connection to Montauge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 6:16 PM, Lawrence St said:

Did they not fix this problem like 3 years ago already? Don't almost all the garbage trains use R32 sets and utilize the Nassau connection to Montauge?

AFAIK, the clearance problem in Montague still remains. Most of those garbage trains that traverse broadway don't use R32's, they use R127/134's most of the time. If it happens to use a 32, it will most likely go via the Bridge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.