R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

13 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I can confirm that the tracks extend to 101st, but they have a wall blocking the tracks right after 95st. Those tracks were supposed to continue onto Staten Island but that never came into fruition. 

Wasn't the tunnel to Staten Island meant to be started under Owl's Head Park (at 67th St - see article)?

42 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Wasn't the tunnel to Staten Island meant to be started under Owl's Head Park (at 67th St - see article)?

The original plan was that. But with that tunnel project cancelled, they decided to extend the existing subway to 95th Street.

This was in preparation to extend it again to a station at 101st Street providing connection to a ferry that would have run until a further extension to SI was built.

I haven't walked that far down 4th Avenue in ages, so I don't remember if there is ventilation for a tunnel. Even the 1970s sections of SAS had evidence (grates sealed with concrete, something I found because I had to tie my shoe) so if there's really a tunnel built, it would be seen.

Edited by LTA1992

Note from the board meeting: the R211 contract is sticking with the demo order of open gangway cars only. Despite the decision to order exclusively open gangway cars for the R262s, it's apparently too late for serious changes to the R211 contract, so things are sticking as they were.

9 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Note from the board meeting: the R211 contract is sticking with the demo order of open gangway cars only. Despite the decision to order exclusively open gangway cars for the R262s, it's apparently too late for serious changes to the R211 contract, so things are sticking as they were.

Are you talking about the base order's R211T restriction, or are you saying all but those few R211s (including options) will have open gangways?

45 minutes ago, Lex said:

Are you talking about the base order's R211T restriction, or are you saying all but those few R211s (including options) will have open gangways?

The board was curious if it was too late to spec open gangway car beyond the R211Ts. The answer was that it is: only the R211T cars will have open gangways, and the rest of the base order will be standard. The option cars can still be changed to open gangway spec, which it sounds like they might do.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Why are they so quick to order open gang way cars when they havent even arrived yet for testing?

Perhaps it has something to do with the ridership (existing and potential).

Aside from the standard fare, most of the testing for the R211Ts will obviously boil down to how well the links are constructed and how they perform with tight curves. 

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why are they so quick to order open gang way cars when they havent even arrived yet for testing?

The shit works in every other system that has it. You're acting like this is the only subway system with tight curves LMAOO. Go explore the world, you'll be surprised at what actually exist. The only thing the MTA needed to test was how well people can walk through the cars given that MTA cars have been closed off for a LONG TIME, especially on the BMT, and because some of the curves can decrease the walking space between cars, other than that...there's no other safety issues that prove they're a problem here. All those ethical issues about homeless, etc (which are all temporary issues, shouldn't isolate something that promotes CAPACITY in a city that's constantly growing. Especially for subway cars that are built to last 40years...these R211s/R262s should've been ALL open-gangway...the R179 should've had a test set in that batch...but that's the MTA not thinking into the future. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The shit works in every other system that has it. You're acting like this is the only subway system with tight curves LMAOO. Go explore the world, you'll be surprised at what actually exist. The only thing the MTA needed to test was how well people can walk through the cars given that MTA cars have been closed off for a LONG TIME, especially on the BMT, and because some of the curves can decrease the walking space between cars, other than that...there's no other safety issues that prove they're a problem here. All those ethical issues about homeless, etc (which are all temporary issues, shouldn't isolate something that promotes CAPACITY in a city that's constantly growing. Especially for subway cars that are built to last 40years...these R211s/R262s should've been ALL open-gangway...the R179 should've had a test set in that batch...but that's the MTA not thinking into the future. 

My main concern was with the R262 order, since there was no test train to measure out the curves on the IRT, and the IRT has worse curves then the BMT (City Hall comes to mind).

I'm just saying before we start ordering articulated trains all over the place, see how the first pilot does in actual service.

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

You should see the sharp turns in the Toronto Metro and it’s artriculated trains on Line 1 (The Toronto Rocket if I’m not mistaken). People can quickly lose their balance if the right handlebars are not installed, especially the speed at which the trains take those turns. 

even more important now that we’re increasing speed limits to keep trains moving and upgrading signals

Edited by darkstar8983

24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

My main concern was with the R262 order, since there was no test train to measure out the curves on the IRT, and the IRT has worse curves then the BMT (City Hall comes to mind).

I'm just saying before we start ordering articulated trains all over the place, see how the first pilot does in actual service.

Even though the IRT has sharper curves, the subway cars are shorter, and the wheelbase is closer towards the end of the car, reducing the amount of overhang of the carbody that's bending when making turns around curves...therefore, when the trains are making turns, it doesn't alter the walking distance between trains that drastic. The subway cars that would have gangway issues are the 75ft cars, due to the fact that they're longer, and the wheelbase is not directly at the end of the car...this leads to an overhang of the carbody that causes the cars to drastically shift when making turns around curves. If you ride the (R) train through lower Manhattan you'll notice at times you won't be able to look into the next car. 

60ft cars don't have the issue as bad, because the cars are shorter and the wheelbase doesn't create a drastic overhang of the carbody when turning around curves. So it's not really the curves, it's about being able to safety walk through while the train is maneuvering through the curves. 

23 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

If Paris Metro can run them, anyone can.

I think the base order R211's would be pitkin/ Coney island since these are the regular cars.

It makes more sense to give the option order to Jamaica instead of the base order since it'll likely be open gangway and those cars could bump out some of the R160's elsewhere.

Since the base order is 440 standard cars.

Pitkin could get about 200 while CI could get 240.

I know this is speculation but it makes the most sense. The 20 R211T's could be based out of Jamaica once all the testing is done.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I think the base order R211's would be pitkin/ Coney island since these are the regular cars.

It makes more sense to give the option order to Jamaica instead of the base order since it'll likely be open gangway and those cars could bump out some of the R160's elsewhere.

I know this is speculation but it makes the most sense. The 20 R211T's could be based out of Jamaica once all the testing is done.

It does make sense. Right now, the majority of the r46's are at Pitkin/Coney island yards and it makes a lot of sense to have the r211T's operate on the most crowded lines.

12 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The Open gangway R211’s can send off the Siemens from Jamaica to 207th Street. 

8 hours ago, VIP said:

The Open gangway R211’s can send off the Siemens from Jamaica to 207th Street. 

that's what i think is gonna happen, have the majority of them run on the (C) with a few on the (A) along side the R179's and R211's.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So how come the mockups always have to be built in Japan?

That's how Kawasaki operates (someone else can correct me if I'm wrong). Corporate deals with everything in Japan until the customer is satisfied with the design and gives approval for construction to start.