R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

and until the R211s get here (if necessary due to the COVID-related service reductions), the R32s and R46s can be temporarily "retired".

Cars would need to be moved around though to ensure no R46s or R32s are in service should the service cuts occur:

(A) - Would use the 130 R179 (10-car units) + 230 R160s from Jamaica

(B) - Discontinued

(C) - R179 (8-car units, half of which are from ENY)

(G) - R68

(J) - R160A-1 (and some R143s as necessary)

(M) - R160A-1

(N) - R68 + R160B

(Q) - R68A (from the (B)

(W) -Discontinued

(Z) - Discontinued

(H) / (S) - R179 (4-car units from the (C) train fleet).

Yard moves:

All R179 (8-car units transferred from ENY to 207 St/Pitkin Yards) - the (J) fleet will be covered by the R160A-1 cars that would not need to be used on the (M) and (L) due to service frequency reductions.

230 R160s from Jamaica to Pitkin (the units that were on loan from the (F) all summer to the (A))

60 R160s from Jamaica to Coney Island (concurrent with proposed frequency reductions to the (E) and (R))

16 R68s from Concourse to Coney Island

(the latter two transfers can be coordinated based on Coney Island's needs)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/4/2020 at 11:31 PM, Vulturious said:

Spare factor wouldn't increase by that much actually, all it would do is help mainly the (N) and (Q) for extra service to be put onto it. If anything, with this they could "theoretically" bring back the <Q> for service on Brighton since these cars from the (B) and (W) are from Coney Island anyways.

But they would need additional crews to run a <Q> service on top of the existing (Q). It probably would cost less to run a <Q> vs the current (B) service, but it’s probably not a whole lot less. But I do think it would be much better than having no Brighton express service at all, like in the early months of the pandemic.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

But they would need additional crews to run a <Q> service on top of the existing (Q). It probably would cost less to run a <Q> vs the current (B) service, but it’s probably not a whole lot less. But I do think it would be much better than having no Brighton express service at all, like in the early months of the pandemic.

That's exactly what I'm getting at, having the <Q> would be using the same crew either both starting at Coney Island to allow crew changes to be easier or keep the <Q> at Brighton, regardless, they are going to the same northern destination.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:32 AM, darkstar8983 said:

and until the R211s get here (if necessary due to the COVID-related service reductions), the R32s and R46s can be temporarily "retired".

Cars would need to be moved around though to ensure no R46s or R32s are in service should the service cuts occur:

(A) - Would use the 130 R179 (10-car units) + 230 R160s from Jamaica

(B) - Discontinued

(C) - R179 (8-car units, half of which are from ENY)

(G) - R68

(J) - R160A-1 (and some R143s as necessary)

(M) - R160A-1

(N) - R68 + R160B

(Q) - R68A (from the (B)

(W) -Discontinued

(Z) - Discontinued

(H) / (S) - R179 (4-car units from the (C) train fleet).

Yard moves:

All R179 (8-car units transferred from ENY to 207 St/Pitkin Yards) - the (J) fleet will be covered by the R160A-1 cars that would not need to be used on the (M) and (L) due to service frequency reductions.

230 R160s from Jamaica to Pitkin (the units that were on loan from the (F) all summer to the (A))

60 R160s from Jamaica to Coney Island (concurrent with proposed frequency reductions to the (E) and (R))

16 R68s from Concourse to Coney Island

(the latter two transfers can be coordinated based on Coney Island's needs)

Don’t think the (H) can use 4 car 60’ trains. Iirc back when the (H) used 4 car R32s post sandy, one set lost power over a third rail gap. Then the R46s replaced the R32s

5 hours ago, mine248 said:

Don’t think the (H) can use 4 car 60’ trains. Iirc back when the (H) used 4 car R32s post sandy, one set lost power over a third rail gap. Then the R46s replaced the R32s

I thought it was to just have OPTO on the shuttle and have the R32s moved back to the (C) and the loaned R42s back to the (J) 

5 hours ago, mine248 said:

they were gapping out due to the speed limit being 10mph over those switches. with the R46's since they're longer its not an issue. if the speed limit was increased then the R32's would have never had that issue.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Right? I was expecting it to be delayed by two or three years.

8 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

......Why?

Depending on how young some of these whippersnappers are, the recent R179 delivery might've been one of the only orders that came out while they were paying attention.

It has been a decade since the last R160s entered service.

10 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

......Why?

IDK, maybe because of the pandemic?

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Depending on how young some of these whippersnappers are, the recent R179 delivery might've been one of the only orders that came out while they were paying attention.

It has been a decade since the last R160s entered service.

What are you even saying?

On 11/30/2020 at 4:53 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It's official, the first test train won't be delivered until the first quarter of next year.

https://www.amny.com/new-york/subway-slowdown-sleek-new-train-cars-running-late-in-pandemic/

I pretty much knew they were going to be delayed for the moment bc when July came I was just wondering where they were lol.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:16 PM, Bay Ridge Express said:

IDK, maybe because of the pandemic?

What are you even saying?

So what there's a pandemic? It's not the Spanish Flu. It's something we know can be kept at bay with proper distance, basic hygiene, mask wearing, and proper ventilation. Not something Kawasaki and it's suppliers shouldn't be able to easily handle. Remember, it only got so far because of ignorance on a macro scale.  Based off that, and other current events, one could infer that the delay wouldn't have been more than six to ten months.

Which is why I ask why one would think the delay would be years. 

Edited by LTA1992

13 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Kawasaki was actually very close to meeting the original delivery schedule until the suppliers for several key subsystems were effected.
The train is reportedly complete enough that they’ve been signing it up as random routes in the factory. It looks good. 

Are there any new pictures ?

On 12/7/2020 at 11:02 AM, LTA1992 said:

So what there's a pandemic? It's not the Spanish Flu. It's something we know can be kept at bay with proper distance, basic hygiene, mask wearing, and proper ventilation. Not something Kawasaki and it's suppliers shouldn't be able to easily handle. Remember, it only got so far because of ignorance on a macro scale.  Based off that, and other current events, one could infer that the delay wouldn't have been more than six to ten months.

Which is why I ask why one would think the delay would be years. 

It was an initial reaction, but now I get how they would be able to do it sooner, dw.

Obviously we know a lot more about the pandemic now. But here on the forums, it's either you're not allowed to be eager for a delivery, or it seems like you're assuming the worst. Sigh...

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 10:53 AM, mine248 said:

I've seen them running 60 footers before. They used 160s (too far to tell which kind from the sound), not sure if they were 4-car, 5-car, 8-car, or 10-car sets though.

• 2 weeks later...