440 cars = 44 10 car trains

Pitkin currently has 

352 cars = 44 8 car trains

Correction:

Pitkin currently has

352 r46's cars = 44 8 car r46's trains

130 r179's cars= 13 10 car r179's trains

Sorry for any confusion.

The point is that the base order of r211A's plus all 10 car r179's will be enough for A/C trains, which need to be 100% NTT for 8th Avenue CBTC.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

with the (C) being mixed length, train operators get confused since they are used to stopping at the 8 car marker. having the same type of equipment in different lengths would cause bigger confusion. i'm not knocking on train operators, i'm just saying this from what i've seen and heard

This is why I’m saying have both the (A)(C) run 600 feet trains. It’s just common sense.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

this is what is going to happen anyway, there's more than enough cars by then to make the (C) 600 feet.

Exactly.

IMO the G should get the 8 car r179's from the C. The G will need those trains more than ENY.

That may be the reason why the option orders include four 8 car trains of r211A's (32 cars) for ENY, so that the G goes 480ft with the 8 car r179's.

1 minute ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Exactly.

IMO the G should get the 8 car r179's from the C. The G will need those trains more than ENY.

That may be the reason why the option orders include four 8 car trains of r211A's (32 cars) for ENY, so that the G goes 480ft with the 8 car r179's.

You people must want to see R160B (C)‘s and R179 (G)‘s! Nooo! Just give those to ENY, and the reason why ENY is even getting the 211s is because it’s designated for the (L). For the fourth time:

(A)(C): R211A, R160 (Potential extras from Jamaica), R179.

(G): R211A, R160.

(N)(Q)(W): R211A, R160

(B)(D)(S)Frank: R68, R68A

(E)(F)(R): Displace R160B Siemens and more Alstoms with the amount of 211As if more than 260, give them to Coney Island, or Pitkin. (R160, R211A)

10 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

You people must want to see R160B (C)‘s and R179 (G)‘s! Nooo! Just give those to ENY, and the reason why ENY is even getting the 211s is because it’s designated for the (L). For the fourth time:

(E)(F)(R): Displace R160B Siemens and more Alstoms with the amount of 211As if more than 260, give them to Coney Island, or Pitkin. (R160, R211A)

I'm only focusing on the base order of r211's.

It's not 100% guaranteed that the MTA will exercise option orders for r211's.

Without the option orders, the C and G will need longer trains due to ridership, which will take months not years before overall ridership goes back to pre pandemic levels.

In fact, if any of you ride the subway during rush hour, you will notice that many subway lines are already packed and it will continue to increase as more people get vaccinated.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

26 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

I think you need to chill out and let the New York City Transit car equipment management division handle car assignments. As far as predictions and ideas that’s totally fine, but try not to be so aggressive and knock other people’s ideas or predictions. 

14 minutes ago, VIP said:

I think you need to chill out and let the New York City Transit car equipment management division handle car assignments. As far as predictions and ideas that’s totally fine, but try not to be so aggressive and knock other people’s ideas or predictions. 

I’m just saying something about things that I see and have noticed on this thread. No hard feelings!

1 hour ago, R68ACTrain said:

Is the (L) short because honestly sending the R179’s from the (C) to ENY could fill in the gaps. Plus with the (M) being in CBTC territory it would need a few extra sets as well. The (M) and (L) could just used some R160A’s from the (J) while the (J) would be mostly R179s. 

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Is the (L) short because honestly sending the R179’s from the (C) to ENY could fill in the gaps. Plus with the (M) being in CBTC territory it would need a few extra sets as well. The (M) and (L) could just used some R160A’s from the (J) while the (J) would be mostly R179s. 

The 4 car R211s are for additional (L) trains for service expansion now that they have added additional electrical capacity.

6 minutes ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

The MTA's main goal is getting 8th Av to be fully NTT operational for CBTC like they've done on QB line. So it would make sense giving the entire base order to pitkin an 207st . Right now there is no guarantee option orders will be exercised 

If the final plan is no option order then 100% agree. The base order alone fills the (A)(C) and Rockaway (S) requirement for NTT trains (with no spare factor increases unless the (S) holds on to the R46s)

Edited by darkstar8983

Just sayin'...

If you give the (A) the whole base order and the options aren't exercised, the (MTA) are in for a long one. 

The (C)(N)(Q)(W) ALSO HAVE R46's!!! You guys keep leaving out the (N)(Q)(W)!

What do you expect C.I would do? How would they replace their breaking down 46's? 

My take.

53 minutes ago, Stormxx said:

Just sayin'...

If you give the (A) the whole base order and the options aren't exercised, the (MTA) are in for a long one. 

What do you expect C.I would do? How would they replace their breaking down 46's? 

My take.

Well in the case of the base order, the (C) would be covered too, with 13 of the 44 R211 trains, or all the R179s. And I do agree that the (N)(Q)(W) should get those R46s retired. My personal preference would be that Coney Island’s R46s are retired first, but I’m trying to be realistic.

2 hours ago, Stormxx said:

Just sayin'...

My take.

Fingers crossed that the MTA exercises all option orders for the r211's and installs CBTC throughout the WHOLE system.

Otherwise, we would see another subway car shortage, overcrowding, an increase of subway delays due to signal issues and mechanical failures, which will bring more costs for the MTA in the long run.

3 hours ago, Stormxx said:

Just sayin'...

My take.

You have to understand that people need to be realistic hear. Just because Coney Island's R46's are breaking down, it's not guaranteed that C.I. would get any new trains if there aren't any order options that can be exercised. The R46's from Pitkin could go to C.I. so that way they can retire the R46's that are breaking down the most with ones that are still working and not breaking down as often. Of course it won't take long until those ones will end up having issues as well, but the reality is that the (A) and (C) needs them first since they're the next lines to get CBTC. I understand your frustration about the R46's, but unless the (MTA) is able to order more R211's, the (N)(Q) and (W) have no choice but to stick with them. They could give the (B) the R46's since its a weekday only line, but Concourse doesn't have any equipment for them in case they need a quick maintenance.

1 minute ago, Vulturious said:

You have to understand that people need to be realistic hear. Just because Coney Island's R46's are breaking down, it's not guaranteed that C.I. would get any new trains if there aren't any order options that can be exercised. The R46's from Pitkin could go to C.I. so that way they can retire the R46's that are breaking down the most with ones that are still working and not breaking down as often. Of course it won't take long until those ones will end up having issues as well, but the reality is that the (A) and (C) needs them first since they're the next lines to get CBTC. I understand your frustration about the R46's, but unless the (MTA) is able to order more R211's, the (N)(Q) and (W) have no choice but to stick with them. They could give the (B) the R46's since its a weekday only line, but Concourse doesn't have any equipment for them in case they need a quick maintenance.

The (MTA) can't screw up with cars like they did in 2010. If the (MTA) exercises 1 option order, it would go to C.I. If they don't exercise, the (MTA) could see a very bad car shortage that would need to be filled up by R268's. If the (MTA) does have ANY sense, they'd exercise. And I think the (MTA) already knows that. If they don't, well, we're in for a tough ride.

The (MTA) can't screw up with cars like they did in 2010. If the (MTA) exercises 1 option order, it would go to C.I. If they don't exercise, the (MTA) could see a very bad car shortage that would need to be filled up by R268's. If the (MTA) does have ANY sense, they'd exercise. And I think the (MTA) already knows that. If they don't, well, we're in for a tough ride.

I agree 100%.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you. You're 100% right about everything you're saying, but you're missing the point that the (MTA) might not be able to order any of the option orders. If they do end up going for the option orders (which is what they should set as a priority at this point), they should go for the R211A if it ends up being cheaper. Although, I'm not exactly sure how much cheaper it would be, probably not by much if I'm going to be honest. At the end of the day, all we can really say or do is just hope that the (MTA) are able to order more cars.